6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old November 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Cab alterations

Hello Members,
Happy Holidays...I have a '64 GMC 1000, SWB, 250 I-6, SM-420. It's been awhile since I have posted here. My truck sits and I want to drive it, as I am a Big and Tall man, it's uncomfortable as I am 6'6". My grandfather bought this truck when I was born, so there's history, lots of love, learning to drive in this truck, memories, etc.
I have had members state previously to keep the truck original, but I can't seem to part with this truck. I have my dreams of owning a muscle car too someday but I want to finish the restoration and retirement of this truck and enjoy the popularity of it being a classic.

Is there any schematics, layout or design here? I have the small window version on this truck?

With the picture of how the cab of this truck was built, as I've been thinking of the portion of the cab, that comes down from the base of the window, where it slopes or curves forward, where the top of the backrest of the bench seat would hit. Due to the slant of the seat tank, this area protrudes over the top of the seat tank a good 3-4" outwards towards the seat. I have a new rear fuel tank (Tanks Inc.) to install where the spare tire would go. I will remove the seat tank, plug the fill hole as usual.

My alteration, if safe, would be to cut, shave and somehow trim this edge of this metal from side to side, allowing the side pillars of the seat and back rest to move backwards, giving me more room. By cutting this portion out though, I don't want to cause any deformity or strength loss of the upper rear cab portion...although these trucks were built thick and strong.

In removing the seat tank, the seat could be moved back another 4-6" with new positioning of the bench brackets. With this portion of the metal gone above, it would also allow some reclining to the back rest of the seat.
I had a '99 GMC Yukon as my daily driver and found that 60/40 split bench to be one of the most comfortable seats ever and may find one to put into the '64.

Any help, comments or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, ItalOso
Old November 30th, 2017, 03:01 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Cab alterations

ItalOso; I've read on the 67-72 forum that some guys also lower the brake/clutch pedal to make it more comfortable to drive. Also they have shortened the steering column (3") or added an Ididit column with tilt which does the same thing. Maybe go to a smaller diameter steering wheel too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516070

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...ification.html
Old January 24th, 2018, 04:25 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cab alterations

Funky 61,
Thank you for the links, especially for the pedal reduction for the manual transmission. When talking with my mechanic friend, there was always the continuing question of these changes and stating, "there's gotta be a way", and now that link proves so.
Being my height and very large show size, the pedals were always a hassle, let alone trying to react quickly to get my feet up off the floor without to having to ride the clutch.
Possibly my thoughts of altering under the rear window of the cab, after taking out the seat tank, to increase seat depth, and seat back incline may not need to take place. Changing the steering column and wheel is a must, but deciding on the type of transmission will need to happen too.

I was seriously considering taking out the SM-420, as I have changed out the rear end gears from 3:93 to a 3:05 ratio, to help reduce the 250 I-6 from screaming high RPM's when cruising at freeway speed..It still winds out.

I may consider seeing if a newer Manual OD transmission can be mounted up to the 250, to reduce those RPM's. If need be, rebuilding a 327 or just dropping a crate 350 into the engine compartment. It's a sound truck now, needs a little more work, but it's not too hard to continue to drop Dead Presidents into it.

Thanks again!