6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 6th, 2014, 01:04 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
ziegld1 is on a distinguished road
Default Algon Cylinder Head

Good Evening gentlemen: First I do research for the Smith Collection located in Lincoln,NE
(Speedway Motors). I was given a project to research and I must admite I know nothing about it or never heard about it. I am starting to research a ALGON cylinder head. I have a questions is the Algon head also known as a Wayne Horning head ? And if you know of any website that may help me with this research I would deeply appreciate it.
Zig
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:57 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Algon Cylinder Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegld1 View Post
Good Evening gentlemen: First I do research for the Smith Collection located in Lincoln,NE
(Speedway Motors). I was given a project to research and I must admite I know nothing about it or never heard about it. I am starting to research a ALGON cylinder head. I have a questions is the Algon head also known as a Wayne Horning head ? And if you know of any website that may help me with this research I would deeply appreciate it.
Zig
Hi Zig, Wow you have a job that makes me jealous! Researcher for the "Museum of American Speed"! I always meant to take it in before "Speedy Bill" passed away to get to maybe meet him. Too late now obviously, but it is nice to know that his dream museum still will continue!

I have heard of the Wayne and Nicson heads that were popular for the 270 and 302 GMC inline 6 engines. Both of those heads could make those GMC six cylinders run with and beat V-8 powered racecars. Not familiar with the Algon. I am going to assume that the Algon head is another performance head for those I-6 engines. It may be the same head as the Wayne, but I really couldn't tell you.

This site has experts that specialize in the GMC V-6 engine, that became available for the 1960 model year.

Here is a link to a site, although antique by today's internet standards, has some very knowledgeable members of these I-6 engines.

http://oldgmctrucks.infopop.cc/eve

The members can be quirky and sometimes just tell you to use the "Find" button to search the site when asking questions. With your credentials I would think they will be excited to help you.

I believe this car is in the museum you work for. I saw it race many times throughout it's long ride! This scan is from a 1974 Wyoming State Racing Annual. It's powered by a 270 c.i. GMC engine.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Novotny GMC sprint 001.jpg (4.96 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday