6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
This last part you are depicting is the bearing retainer. The "races" are the grooved inner and outer rings in the ball bearing that the ***** run against.

Interesting - the censorship software allows one to say "ball", but not the plural.

Ray
so the race is kinda like the "track" they roll around in..racetrack. makes sense now. Thanks!

I ordered the clutch plate and bearings again today. Hopefully they'll be here by Friday and i can start putting things back together. I'm hurtin for a ride in my baby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I've started the rebuild but I'm having trouble with this part here. Those race things won't come off!

Any idea how I get them off? My replacements are slick inside so I assume they're not screwed down or anything. I put them in a vice and beat on them but still they're in there pretty solid.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

You need a press to remove and install that bearing. The tools you need are a press and some plates bored to the proper diameters, or some split plates that get a good purchase on the bearing. Snap ring pliers are a must have also. You should find a service manual. The factory manuals are nice but MOTORS. Truck and diesel repair manual work well and give you the perspective of how common most of the old stuff is between makes. 21st to 24th editions cover these old rigs. You can buy these used online all day . Barry.
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:51 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Brother Barry to the rescue again!

So there's nothing holding that race on but imagination and pressure right? I got the other one off that is deep inside the tranny tail with a little persuasion. That threaded collar thing that just sits above the rear bearing threw me for a loop. I twisted on that thing forever before I realized it was just mashed on

I'm about ready for the writeup in my build thread. All I have left is that stupid race at the front. If I can figure out a way to get it off without a press I'll be golden. If not I might have to hire shop. The only press I have belongs to the wife and does Paninis.

Back to work I go! I gotta finish before Friday. Inlaws are making a surprise visit at 8am

Old September 25th, 2013, 06:44 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I got it all apart and back together save the little needle bearings. Those things are not well engineered. They should have put them in a race too IMHO.

Just hopped on here because it's 1am and I"m taking a break. My back is killin me from liftin that thing over and over trying to line it up!

And I'm a little delirious. Must have coffee....

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well today was a little better. I didn't pull the bottom gears out of the transmission, but I did change all the needle bearings, seals, and the two races. I couldn't figure out how to get the bottom of the tranny apart. I hope there's nothing in there that needs fiddling with.

I had a heck of a time getting the sliding collar thing (that has a second, thinner sliding collar thing on it) back on the tail section. Then tonight it just slid right in like buttah.

Old September 26th, 2013, 09:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I went out today and started reassembly but the trans seems to be locked up. It "unlocks" when I unscrew the tailshaft bolts about 1/2 inch and crack the case again.
I can't tell what's binding it either. Here's a pic of my innards. Does anything look suspicious to you guys?

The collar thing slides pretty easily all the way to the bottom of the tailshaft when it's out

Old September 27th, 2013, 03:27 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

I am a bit turned around after this read.....I used to have a clue.....an' now I'm wondering if [I] do but maybe I don't.
Is it possible you mean the input shaft when yer saying tailshaft...?

Also....for the record....FYI....
When working with the needle brgs in the main shaft...if you clean everything up with brake cleaner or hot solvent....you can wipe some assembly grease or even brg. grease on the shaft and then stick the needle bearings to it. They'll stay right there while you put things together...and won't give you any trouble.
The flip side to that is to grease the other side (female side ) of the shaft and stick the needles in there....and then assemble...

Good luck,....
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdriller View Post
I am a bit turned around after this read.....I used to have a clue.....an' now I'm wondering if [I] do but maybe I don't.
Is it possible you mean the input shaft when yer saying tailshaft...?

Also....for the record....FYI....
When working with the needle brgs in the main shaft...if you clean everything up with brake cleaner or hot solvent....you can wipe some assembly grease or even brg. grease on the shaft and then stick the needle bearings to it. They'll stay right there while you put things together...and won't give you any trouble.
The flip side to that is to grease the other side (female side ) of the shaft and stick the needles in there....and then assemble...

Good luck,....
That's possible. I don't know what anything is called really. I'm learning as I go. What I'm calling the tailshaft is the bolted on piece on the end of the transmission. It has five bolts and ends in a pointy bit with a seal on the end of it. The driveshaft goes into that.

I used bearing grease to stick the needles on the shaft. It worked pretty good.

Old September 27th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road

I think you may have the transmission stuck in two gears at one time, which will lock up the entire gearset. The piece with 6 external splines and a thin ring at the front end is the 2-3 shift sleeve. GM calls it a clutch. The large gear which slides on the outside of the 2-3 sleeve is the low and reverse sliding gear.

Both parts appear to be all the way at the rear end of their travel, which puts you in 2nd and reverse at the same time. Slide the L&R gear forward so it is not touching any gears on its bottom side and see if that frees up the mainshaft. At that point you will still be in 2nd, so slide the 2-3 sleeve forward until it disengages from 2nd gear (2nd is the gear immediately to the rear of the 2-3 sleeve), which should put you in neutral.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; September 27th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.