6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old April 21st, 2023, 12:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fuel supply loss when in gear

Do you fellows who run electric pumps control them with an oil pressure switch so if your engine quits running the electric fuel pump stops? If not - how do you control them so they're not constantly running when your switch is on? I feel a mechancial pump is a lot safer - IF you don't have a power cut-off. I have installed electric pumps on hot rods only if I can wire them in an oil pressure switch.
Old April 21st, 2023, 02:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

i agree with you lizziemiester, i only use my electric pump for emergency. it also would make a good test pump to check for plugged tank sock.
Old April 21st, 2023, 03:25 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC 1000 sm420 305E lwb wideside
jmfurgason is on a distinguished road

Goodpal : After alot of suggestions and replacment and repair i pulled fuelline off fuel pump and noticed what looked like black pepper in fuel.Gas tank flushed and never had that problem again.Truck was low miles , just was not driven enough.jmf
Old April 24th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Truck: 1961 Series 1000
goodpal is on a distinguished road

Thanks again everyone for the continued ideas and sorry for the hold up in getting back to everybody.

I swung by the parking lot I'd left my truck in and, after venting the gas tank for a minute or two, started her up and we were off to the races. AZKen I followed your recommendation about driving without the gas cap back home and didn't notice any issues on the drive home (about 5 miles).

When I got home I screwed the gas cap back on and let the truck sit for a few hours and went out for another few mile drive. This time start-up wasn't happening so I removed the gas cap again and we got going pretty quickly. Ride to the auto parts store was uneventful, one short loss of power driving back over the bridge (pretty steep uphill) but I leaned in on the throttle and we powered through it and no problems after that.

I bought a new vented gas cap for the truck and once it stops pouring rain here am going to see how we do with that.

I did notice once I was back to the driveway and revving at idle some oil spitting out the tailpipe as well as what looks like a skim of oil on top of the fuel pump so I do plan to see if I can blow back into the gas tank with the fuel filter off to check for clogs, replace the fuel filter, and see if any of the fuel pump suggestions from above continue to help out.

I really appreciate the time and knowledge from everyone, I'll check back in once I have had a chance to do some more structured tinkering
Old April 24th, 2023, 11:31 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Should not be any actual oil coming out of tail pipe. Probably condensation mixed with tail pipe carbon/soot. Don't worry about that. If there is no blue smoke at tail pipe or oil fill hole/breather hole, you don't have bypass. Conpression test will help with that theory.
Blowing out lines while connected is a NO!
You said you cleaned the tank and put in new sender with new sock? A pump flow test will tell you info. If you think lines are clogged, replace the rubber ones. Disconnect hard lines at both ends and blow out. DO NOT blow into the tank or pump or carb.

Yuo need more test miles before more remedy.

Last edited by AZKen; April 24th, 2023 at 11:44 PM.