6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 20th, 2022, 12:37 AM

Truck: 1964 Fleetside PU 1500
EBasil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swapping Knobs to use OEM Choke on new cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Sounds like you have bypassed us ...
Well, maybe, maybe not. This particular "take off" choke cable is seized somewhere in the coiled housing, and is too short to reach my OEM Stromberg carb, so I am next going to zip the end off, progressively shorter, until I can draw the cable out of the housing, or the housing off the hard-piped section that secured to the dash. Once I get it apart, I may yet be able to benefit from your insight.
Old June 20th, 2022, 12:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: Swapping Knobs to use OEM Choke on new cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
Hmm. What if you were to buy a wiper switch knob, remove the spring clip and glue in (for example with JB weld) a small turned adapter (a sleeve that fits into the wiper knob and has a smaller hole for the choke cable)
This might be a great idea!
Old June 20th, 2022, 04:05 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

If you would have responded, not waited 5 weeks, answered my questions and noticed I said I had an idea, I may have helped you. If you don't answer questions and work with me, If you do anything to either cable, I can't help you. Remember we are at our house and can't see or know much detail. So we ask and slowly see the total picture. I always get all the info I can before I spell out a plan or idea. Your problem is you are full of "can't do's" and are ignoring most posts. VERY BAD APPROACH.
We began helping you the same day you posted. Then the next day. You came back 5 weeks later telling us no one can help you.

Last edited by AZKen; June 20th, 2022 at 04:15 AM.
Old June 20th, 2022, 04:42 AM

Truck: 1965
Sonic65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
If you would have responded, not waited 5 weeks, answered my questions and noticed I said I had an idea, I may have helped you. If you don't answer questions and work with me, If you do anything to either cable, I can't help you. Remember we are at our house and can't see or know much detail. So we ask and slowly see the total picture. I always get all the info I can before I spell out a plan or idea. Your problem is you are full of "can't do's" and are ignoring most posts. VERY BAD APPROACH.
We began helping you the same day you posted. Then the next day. You came back 5 weeks later telling us no one can help you.
AZKEN, I understand your frustration. But lashing out at members (like you have a habit of doing) will not help our cause. People reach out to this group seeking help/answers. I know of multiple "newbies" who left this group because of your rash comment's. Not everyone is on your "brain wavelength". I have been a member of this group back in the Yahoo Group days....let's keep these trucks on the road, no matter what questions are asked. You have a vast vault of knowledge..share it kindly
Old June 20th, 2022, 04:57 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

WRONG! John, I can't share until I get info. If a person places a question and then goes off for 5 weeks to "experts" and does not respond to members, it's rude, wrong approach, and I tell them that. I'm not someone's baby sitter. I'm not typing to help and then get that type of treatment. Call it what you want. Pull up your big boy pants. Don't tell me someone left because of me. That is an attack on me with no basis. No context. Keep those comments "kindly" to yourself. The only "habit" I have is helping those who treat responders with respect. I don't care how long you have been on here. (10 months before me) Doesn't give you the right to step in and make remarks about my character. If you have constructive help to this poster, then lets hear it. Don't just troll all the time. I'm trying to help and begging for info.
I am not frustrated, the poster is frustrated. That makes me stay with him. I have explained my thinking to him. He either will get my point and we can be friends or he can tell me no thanks.

Last edited by AZKen; June 20th, 2022 at 05:16 AM.
Old June 20th, 2022, 08:07 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Ken, the fact was that the poster did not receive a reply with the correct answer for a month. He then consulted someone else. That is fine, it is his part and his time. He might need to get it done quickly.

EBasil: Good luck. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.
Old June 20th, 2022, 10:02 AM

He did not get the correct answer? Really? That's your take on this? I was ready to give an answer/suggestion within one day. I've waited 6 weeks for some info. You think it's OK for a newby to slap the same question all over the internet and never come back to them? A "member" simply ignoring a response from a member? Not getting an answer ANYWHERE then comes back with "Unresolved"........"OK boys keep trying and I'll be back. Don't have time for your silly home mechanic questions".

I know that info needs to be collected to give the best answer to a problem. I still have a good idea, but it depends on a few pieces that he can provide. This does not seem to be getting thru here. I reacted the same day. The questions I needed answered were asked the same day. You can't get an answer faster than that if you respond to a few questions. It seems that they were ignored. My 50 years as a Mechanical Design Engineer solving problems after problems, have taught me to understand all parts of the situation so as to zero in on an answer quickly without bouncing a bunch of hunches off the wall. This is just a choke cable but I thought it was important to him. I was very cordial until I was ignored. Anyone else want to pile up on me?

I'm not going to defend the righteous side of this anymore. You fellow members have made me defend, keep posting, which makes the poster feel like they have created a situation and a big argument, then quit, and then you blame me....and as you know, you have probably encouraged him to attack me instead of giving the answers and begin a fix. It's OK for you to instruct me how to proceed on the forum but not OK for me to instruct a new guy how to proceed? monitor his post, don't ignore questions, don't terminate my offer to help with "it can't be done".

There not many actual questions, some suggestions, some requests

Last edited by AZKen; June 20th, 2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old June 20th, 2022, 05:29 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

Ken, if you look back at the first page, you will find your initial response: "Why do you want to remove the knob?"
To that, I responded: "I know."
I knew because EBasil stated it in the first paragraph of his post.
I thought at the time that we were off to another testy series of your abrasive comments.
I hoped I was wrong, but back you come now.
Sonic65 and Prowbar have tried above to break it to you gently that your approach often rankles other members here. I have tried to do the same in the past, obviously with no result.
There are no downsides to being courteous and helpful here.
Old June 20th, 2022, 08:29 PM

Fellas,
As much as I desire to swap in an OEM appearing choke cable, this particular project is behind work, working with the GMC as a tool (to haul debris and building supplies for a home project) and playing with the GMC at the Brother's truck show where I realized I might (and did indeed) run into gearheads including Dave Welch who could fondle (oh so gently) my choke cable and opine while jawing about our trucks.

I had no intention to either offend, or to be lectured, in relation to my sporadic internet time. I would note that this is not the only "owner/afficionado group" I am in on the intarwebz, and that YOUR responses, Ken, contain way more heat than light. If you feel that's an unfair attack, just know that it's laser-****-guided right. My skin is thick, however: no hard feelings.

I'll get this thing figured out someday. Maybe not this week or next, because I have some aux reverse light wiring to debug, an oil change and the first steps in reupholstering the bench to consider. It will happen, though.

I would also note that Dave Welch from Brother's used to run a GM/Chevy junk yard and did invite me up to Corona to dig through his piles in case there's a useable choke cable in there. That might be fun, in general, and might generate the simplest solution although I will likely get another lecture from Dave about my split rims...
Old June 20th, 2022, 09:08 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
Fellas,
As much as I desire to swap in an OEM appearing choke cable, this particular project is behind work, working with the GMC as a tool (to haul debris and building supplies for a home project) and playing with the GMC at the Brother's truck show where I realized I might (and did indeed) run into gearheads including Dave Welch who could fondle (oh so gently) my choke cable and opine while jawing about our trucks.

I had no intention to either offend, or to be lectured, in relation to my sporadic internet time. I would note that this is not the only "owner/afficionado group" I am in on the intarwebz, and that YOUR responses, Ken, contain way more heat than light. If you feel that's an unfair attack, just know that it's laser-****-guided right. My skin is thick, however: no hard feelings.

I'll get this thing figured out someday. Maybe not this week or next, because I have some aux reverse light wiring to debug, an oil change and the first steps in reupholstering the bench to consider. It will happen, though.

I would also note that Dave Welch from Brother's used to run a GM/Chevy junk yard and did invite me up to Corona to dig through his piles in case there's a useable choke cable in there. That might be fun, in general, and might generate the simplest solution although I will likely get another lecture from Dave about my split rims...
Split rims... Dave sure seems like a decent guy. I have only seen him on the Brother Trucks videos where he does a lot of rust repair. Brother Trucks however... haven't heard a lot of good about them.