6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old January 20th, 2015, 04:36 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

I can't add anything useful but I really like the pics of the inside. The wood and seats look shot but you can use them as a pattern to replace them with new stuff. I know a good cabinet maker too that we can bounce ideas off of if you need.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

She's going to be a fun one, Coyote!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That does look like they did a pretty nice job on the conversion.
If its rare, I think Toms idea of exploring what you have and swapping out the brakes etc might be a good place to start. Heck put some airbags under it if you want a really nice ride.
As you know I am not a machinist but I think I am close to getting the lathe up and running so If you need something custom made I will help any way I can. Im not trying to talk you out of the 3500 chassis though, its yours it you want it.
Bus: Every project I start on. When I'm around it, I feel like I'm standing on the hub of a wagon wheel, and don't know which spoke to follow. I find my self looking down all of them playing which is the best, safest, parts availability, easiest, and cost. I'm at that stage on this right now.
I really appreciate any input, and suggestions others on site offers, as they make me think outside-my-little-box.

No, I don't feel your pushing the 3500 at all. It's a compliment that you've offered it, But darn sure nice I have it there as an option. Please don't let me ever interfere with anything you might decide to do with it in the future, tho.
Who knows, you might wake up some morning all ambitious and want to bring her back to her former glory stock.

It really grabbed my attention, when I realized that I had two parts trucks in the treasure pile already. I could get the running gear functional pretty cheap and reliable. then work on the interior which that's going to be a lengthy process alone, then if I wanted to update later, I had the option.
I will keep my eye out for a 292 around the rebuild shops here.

I don't ever see using it for a regular user, except maybe going to a local parade, Pioneer celebration, or campground within 50-75 miles now and then and would probably trailer it for that. I doubt I could ever convince my wife to go with me in the old flivver, either.

I decided today to focus on cleaning the remaining junk out of the inside. It would be good chance to really get acquainted with the old buggy, and play the "what if I---" down the spokes.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I can't add anything useful but I really like the pics of the inside. The wood and seats look shot but you can use them as a pattern to replace them with new stuff. I know a good cabinet maker too that we can bounce ideas off of if you need.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

She's going to be a fun one, Coyote!
I bet ya' can this time, Pep.
I'm at the same place with this body, as you were with Cecelia when you started, so I bet you learned some tricks we can use on this.
Don't forget the cabinet maker, we may need him. Thanks

Old January 21st, 2015, 01:59 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1960 3500, 305D heads
abus319 is on a distinguished road

I might have a lead on a 292, I still working on it. Its a runner but pretty high mileage. It might be a good candidate considering your goals.
I am quite familiar with that spot on the hub! Sometimes I head down one spoke and end up on another or fall off the darn thing altogether.
So is there any kind of registry for this buss or have any idea how many are left?
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:09 AM

Truck: 1947 Flxible Clipper Bus 29 passenger 401 M
tommr is on a distinguished road

so you have the trans still in this. that solves that problem. wonder if there are #s or date codes on it. it may help you narrow down the year range of the rig. 292 would be cool. tom
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I might have a lead on a 292, I still working on it. Its a runner but pretty high mileage. It might be a good candidate considering your goals.
I am quite familiar with that spot on the hub! Sometimes I head down one spoke and end up on another or fall off the darn thing altogether.
So is there any kind of registry for this buss or have any idea how many are left?
I'm sure we'll be up and down all the spokes on this deal, before it flys. LOL

I haven't looked for a registry or stats on the internet, yet. I was glad to get enough confirmation to know who the maker was, and approximate years they were built. I checked with DMV, and they gave me a contact# at DMV research dept. in OKC. to try trace back on the existing tag and last renewal date of '89. Maybe we can start trying to build some history on this and other buses like it.
I know it was owned by a "Lancaster School" in it's past from faded name on the side of it. No idea where.

Follow the trail on the 292. Runner sounds good at this stage. Known history on it would be good, too. Pump motor would be fine, unless it had been off the pump, out in the weather, and was stuck pretty bad. Then we might need to look at it closer.

I've spent the last two days on the bus cleaning the interior crud out, still a long ways to go, but keep hoping that somewhere down under the old paneling and rotted glued on carpet, I might find additional ID of some kind. A serial# would be great!

Thanks for your eyes and ears.

Old January 21st, 2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
so you have the trans still in this. that solves that problem. wonder if there are #s or date codes on it. it may help you narrow down the year range of the rig. 292 would be cool. tom
Yes, The bus is almost complete, except the motor and radiator. It looks like the radiator off the 46 grain truck will fit. Tranny, drive shafts and all are still there. It's missing 2 taillights, gauges, and windshield wiper motors, are the only other stuff I've found.

Suppose to snow tonight, but I'll crawl under it, and see what I can find on the transmission, and differential housing when the weather is fit.

Thanks,

Old January 21st, 2015, 03:32 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

The 292 is in a running 63 chevy work truck, that belongs to a friend. The truck sits on a mid model suburban 4wd chassis which is quite heavy. He rebuilt the engine several years ago when he lived in Colorado. It was built primarily for torque and longevity. The speedo stopped working long ago but he thinks it has well over 500k on it. I will call or pm you with details when I get them.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:25 PM

Bingo, Found the ones with the wheel covers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oo1938Gemmer03.jpg (24.0 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg oo1936Wayne.1.jpg (14.3 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)

Old February 1st, 2015, 07:44 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Pretty cool! you going to fab up a set of wheel covers?
I finally got the 63 to the shop. It actually sounded better than I would've thought. No knocks or ticks that I can determine but it is pretty noisy. It obviously has vacuum leaks as well as exhaust leaks. I can probably machine theIntake down if needed. I will try to call you tomorrow and start it up for you so you can hear it run.