6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old February 6th, 2015, 10:54 PM

Truck: 2-1964 Burbs
TDLyver is on a distinguished road
Default Starting with a Great Pair of Burbs

Just got a pair of 1964 GMC Burbs. A black one is original owner with barn doors and a white with tailgate is missing some parts, but good enough to not just tear down for parts.
Does anyone have a schematic or blow-up diagram for these 305 V6's? I am in need of the water pump housing, but trying to locate part numbers (as I can see on here) and the parts is tough. Anyone have the parts list or engine part schematic?

Thanks. I will post my progress as is goes (like molasses).

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old February 7th, 2015, 12:49 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Starting with a Great Pair of Burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLyver View Post
Just got a pair of 1964 GMC Burbs. A black one is original owner with barn doors and a white with tailgate is missing some parts, but good enough to not just tear down for parts.
Does anyone have a schematic or blow-up diagram for these 305 V6's? I am in need of the water pump housing, but trying to locate part numbers (as I can see on here) and the parts is tough. Anyone have the parts list or engine part schematic?

Define "water pump housing"
The front cover is one piece, it is the timing chain cover and the housing for the water pump. The waterpump itself is the typical "fan" shape on the end of the shaft, which goes through the cover/bearings.

If you need the entire housing, the timing cover piece and all, I might still have a spare around here (scrapped my broken engines a few years ago, saved some parts). If all you need is the waterpump... *if* you can find a decent parts store, one where the guys are willing to look for what you need, then you won't have much problem.

The manual you will need, actually two, the X-6223 and X-6423 Supplement.

I'll reiterate this again, in case someone has missed it...

I'm in Dallas, Oregon. Just outside of Salem. Need a part and aren't against pulling it yourself, and spending a bit of time chatting about the trucks, message me. My fleet isn't as big as it was, but I still have quite a few trucks and parts all over the place (have a 305 flywheel outside my office door, which my toes find every once in a while).
I am not in this to get rich, so any part I sell will certainly be for a fair price (ie. one we can agree on).
In the past I have mailed a few parts (the postman probably hates me) but I'm not as energetic as I was, and am more scatterbrained (in short, I forget to pull the part... sorry).
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:44 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Pics?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Here are a couple of pictures,

David, thanks for the reply. I know I need to get the shop manuals. I have created a long list of wants and needs, as I am sure all of the builders on here have.

The nice thing about having both of these is that I can look at one to see if its original or a change has been made.

The black one had a/c added by Montgomery Ward in 1971. The compressor is still there, but the fan motor and vents have since been removed.01717_4AIsoGF6Onu_600x450.jpg

front white.jpg
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:52 PM

A little more digging, and yes David its the timing gear and water pump housing. I am not sure if this one will run, but want to get the parts to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-02-07 14.27.37.jpg (3.53 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg 2015-02-07 14.27.56.jpg (3.84 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:43 AM

David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
A little more digging, and yes David its the timing gear and water pump housing. I am not sure if this one will run, but want to get the parts to see.
I'll have to look, but I may have just about everything you need for that. I *think* I kept all the loose parts off the engine I scrapped.

Might be a few days, I kind of don't want to be out in the rain looking for things. My back yard turns to swamp... or a lake... depending on the amount of rain. Parts are either in the small barn out back, in a trailer that may or may not be undercover, in any of the vehicles, or in any of the covers I have. 1.4 acres of land with a lot of little places to put stuff!!

You may have to remind me to look, or email me and pay a visit and "force" the issue...
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM

The last time I was in Vancouver looking at parts I get referred to:

All American Classics, Inc.
15209 NE Fourth Plain Road
Vancouver, WA 98682
360.254.8850 800.955.4999 FAX 360.253.5986
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00 Closed: Saturday & Sunday
http://www.allamericanclassics.com/

When I went there they had quite a number of 60-66 GMCs, there were a few suburbans there, all in various stages of "salvaged". When I went they let me wander around and take in the sights...
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old February 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 K1500
pasadenajim is on a distinguished road

I have a very nice water pump housing for a 305 E that has been "vatted" and painted with Rustoleum Red Oxide primer. Contact me off line at jim@james-associates.com if you wish. Jim Hyde - Phx AZ
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:15 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Welcome from the Black Hills! I have been hoping to fall into one of these fixer-upper Suburbans and you got two! It don't get any better than that!

These folks will point you in the right direction every time.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I looked at those New Mexico burbs for months, but the shipping was too much for me. The price really went down after awhile. Good buy.