6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old July 8th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Banned

Truck: Only chevy powered trucks
Charon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MSD Fuel Injection for our V6's?

Btw. Tbi works good. I have done it.
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:33 AM

Truck: 1968 GMC K1500 305E SWB
beerman is on a distinguished road

Yeah I don't think these motors have a have a high VE 80% at best probably closer to 75% because of the low compression. That compounded by a low their RPM equals a low CFM requirement

CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency ÷ 3456

Using high side of the spectrum looks like this

CID 305
RPM 4000
VE 80%

CFM 282
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Banned

This is why I don't advocate the holley 500. The stromberg is a much better carb up to 300cfm. Carbking. The national expert on carbs. Has all the efficiency data. All things being equal. Condition. Tune. Engine condition. The stromberg beats any carb up to 3500 rpm. Hands down. The gm tbi. With a 4.3 computer. And the injectors from a 5.0 litre. Using a stock 92-94 harness that has been stripped down. Using a 4.3 dizzy grafted to a v6 base. Works very well.
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Banned

Spend some time at the international sites. Cornbinders etc. They have whole tech writeups on gm tbi. Very good stuff. From very smart guys. Those guys put tbi on all the old cornbinder engines. That's the place I got all my info from for tbi on jeep 4.2 and 360 v-8 engines. And for my v6 conversion. And all the pinout diagrams are linked. And it's so easy to pull down a harness.especially the standard trans truck ones. I spent the day after Christmas last year building harnesses. I laid them out on the kitchen floor and made them. Tagging all the power and grounds. Plus all sensors. Once you do one it's an hour project.
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:27 AM
Banned

So here is a 1991 5.7 litre. 4l80e harness and computer from a square body suburban. These are my holy grail harnesses. Easy to pull apart. And I can run a 4l80. I could run a Gmc v6 if I used a 94 4.3 computer with a 4l60 trans. I would need to send off the computer for some work. To run a 4l80 .But I save these for 71-72 trucks that I put 4l80 transmissions in with tbi conversions. Most of the loose wires are. Hot. Hot run. Or hot crank. The whole thing runs about a hundred bucks with all the sensors and throttle plate and dizzy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1468289888428-1557269774.jpg (1.42 MB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:55 AM

Truck: 1968 GMC K1500 305E SWB
beerman is on a distinguished road

Here's a good link
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

I guess the TBI only needs the distributor pulse no need for a crank reluctor because the injection is not cylinder specific. Also looks to be Speed Density (MAP based) fuels based on engine load.
Old July 12th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Banned

That's a good link to learn from. Thanks beerman. I first started doing these way back 24 years ago. I am part of an old car club here that was looking into this. I was the youngest. And by default got the honor. At that time there was a local putting 4bt engines in scout 2's really cool crap. Also Carl I can't say his name. Cause I don't want to link him to this site was building crazy strong dana axles and u joints. He puts dana 70 stuff in dana 60 housings. And these were going into the scouts .Well he had ties to the cornbinder crazies here. And so all us 4x4 nuts started talking. And a Nebraska international club was mentioned. They had written an article about gm tbi conversions in a newsletter. So we did the easy swaps on chevy motors. It was wonder full putting these on chevy powered jeeps. So then the internet was coming up and we all started jabbering about all sorts of swaps. Most of what I needed was dizzy related. I could go on for hours about those days. It was fun. Most of those guys have moved on for out of the scene. Carl still builds rearends. His mods actually inspired dana to beef up the d44 that the Rubicon jeeps use. But he is in Snohomish wa now. Now all the guys just want to buy it off the Summit site. Plug and play.

Last edited by Charon; July 12th, 2016 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 19th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Truck: 1971 6500 Tilt Cab
funkhoss is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but...

I'm considering putting a TBI system on a V6. I see that "Charon" has been banned from this forum, but I'd really like to ask him some questions about the TBI conversion that he did.

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with him?

Thanks!
Old June 19th, 2023, 02:21 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhoss View Post
I know this is an old thread, but...

I'm considering putting a TBI system on a V6. I see that "Charon" has been banned from this forum, but I'd really like to ask him some questions about the TBI conversion that he did.

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with him?

Thanks!
Barry was a genius when it came to these old trucks. He helped me out of quite a few problems when he was here when others got frustrated and just quit. This was back when I first got into old trucks and didn't know anything at all. His only problem was he just kept fighting with people and admins so I guess they had to let him go.

I can try to pass on a message if you want, assuming the info he gave me still works. It's been a while. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 20th, 2023, 12:43 AM

Truck: 1971 6500 Tilt Cab
funkhoss is on a distinguished road

PM sent. Thanks so much for your help!