6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old December 18th, 2021, 06:21 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

That wood is going to look great! Do you plan to coat it or anything or just leave it natural? A quick look online says it's naturally resistant to just about everything. It's a wonder that it ever rots in the forest, haha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 18th, 2021, 06:48 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That wood is going to look great! Do you plan to coat it or anything or just leave it natural? A quick look online says it's naturally resistant to just about everything. It's a wonder that it ever rots in the forest, haha!
Thanks. Yes, I'll stain it with oil. If left natural, the wood turns to a light gray over time. Because it is so durable and hard it would definitely make sense to use it as a bed wood. Of course it will be protected when hauling stuff like engine blocks etc haha
Old January 5th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

So... in the last few weeks, I finished the truck for inspection. The inspection was on Monday the 3rd, passed the first try. Right now I'm working on the license plates and the last insurance-related things. So hopefully by the end of the week, possibly next week I have the GMC on the road!

From then on I'll start to focus on the aesthetic side, for example, the bed floor and the V6 badges, and rust repairs. But propane conversion will be first and a gearbox swap.

The current SM420 is pretty clapped out. It whines to high heaven and the 2nd gear synchro is shot. Saturday I hope to pick up another 420 as a temporary gearbox while I rebuild the 'numbers matching' 420. The 420 I hope to pick up sat behind a plaid valve cover '63 305! Hoping to take a glance at those plaid valve covers too!
Old January 8th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Brought the SM420 home. This shifting pattern is much tighter, you get the impression that you're actually shifting instead of stirring in the soup...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Took the shifter out and removed the top cover and inspection (PTO) cover. Drained the old fluid and cleaned the magnet on the bottom. All looks good, a much better tranny than the current one. Synchro's all look to be in good shape.

Hope to install this tranny soon. Should take care of the shifting issues. I think I'll keep this tranny installed. Rebuilding the other one might improve the synchros, but will cost a lot to rebuild and the shift forks are still worn, resulting in the sloppy shifting.

The guy I visited had a '63 305D. Those plaid covers are something else, arent they?
Old January 22nd, 2022, 07:41 PM

Installed the "new" SM420 today. Before installing I cleaned her up and painted her black. Also replaced the rear (yoke) oil seal, as the spring wore through the rubber.

When I pulled the shifter from the old tranny, it turned out that it had the later SM465 shifter! I know these interchange but the 465 is a 2 piece shift fork design to keep the vibrations to a minimum. Turns out the roll pin that secures the fork to the shifter was so loose it created the sloppy shifting.

Anyway, when removing the old tranny the bellhousing and yoke bolts were snug but not tight...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

When turning the transmission by hand you can hear the noisy ball bearings.

Anyway, out with the old and in with the new. I used the yoke and speedometer connection from the old tranny as the one on the 'new' tranny were for 4.56 or even lower. Also reused the old 'donut'. See photos. Cleaned the throwout bearing and greased her up, when through the whole clutch mechanism to properly clean and grease the moving points.

The new tranny shifts a whole lot better! The 2nd gear synchro works like it should and the tranny is tight.

However, when shifting from 3rd to 4th and the RPMs drop to 800 or so and you accelerate there is a strange noise... Above a certain rpm (about 1400 I guess) it is gone, no matter the load applied to the transmission.. the old tranny had the same thing, so it probably is not the tranny but I'm not sure what it is. It sounds like it comes from the tranny, not the rear axle or something like that. I'll try to record a video capturing the noise.

Have been cruising with the GMC some lately. According to my calculations, I'm getting 13.4 MPG. Was expecting worse so not bad. Been gathering parts for the propane conversion as that will be next, together with the IPE bedwood.

Would like to upgrade the exhaust though, at least switch the muffler. Right now it has the factory muffler which is quiet, a little too quiet. Hoping to find a muffler that is a little louder but lets you hear the V6 rumbling. Right now I can barely hear the engine in the cab. I still have the factory single exhaust and muffler. Any suggestions please let me know

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220122_123852.jpg (3.90 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220122_124215.jpg (3.76 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220122_132632.jpg (3.52 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old February 28th, 2022, 08:53 PM

Did a compression test today. All cylinders 125 psi! Took so long as I had to make an adapter because of the threads being so deep in these heads.

Did some fooling around with mufflers, had a turbo muffler on, an old Daytona made piece. I did not run a tailpipe, just the original muffler removed with couple the new one with an adapter. Liked the 'loudness' first but that goes away fast and the cab drone is annoying. Turns to obnoxious real fast IMO.

Will switch back to the OEM quiet muffler for now. Mine is still original and does a great job at keeping the noise low. A little more rumble would be welcome but that is it.

Planning to upgrade to 2.25 inch (true) duals. Looking at some mufflers now. Think I'll go with the Walker 17911 quiet flows. Should be quiet but still an upgrade over the factory single exhaust.

Changed the coolant.

Also working on the IPE bedwood. Propane conversion coming up soon..
Got most of the parts for the conversion gathered. Will keep you posted with pics when I get it installed.

Future plans:
HEI ignition from the Buick 231 V6
Toolbox in the bed for tools and general stuff. This also houses the propane tank.
Easy to use bed tie-down system to carry stuff around in the bed.
Improved PCV system that does away with the built-in cylinder head PCVs.
Headlight high beam and low beam via relays.
Rust repairs
Paint (503 light green with the white bumpers etc.)
Cosmetic upgrades
Replacing worn out and cracked parts like the front and vent window rubbers.
New towing bumper from my own design, copying the original but lighter, better made in regards to rust prevention etc.
Trailer hitch and wiring to complement it.

Last edited by Prowbar; February 28th, 2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old March 24th, 2022, 07:33 PM

Not much to add other than some small electrical issues solved. Still working on preparation for the bed wood and propane conversion. Pretty busy, not much time at the moment.

However, I did find out that my 305E has valve rotators, on both intake and exhaust valves! According to my 65 manual, these are optional on 305E's. Definitely a nice option to have!
Old April 27th, 2022, 09:19 PM

A month later! Had to do a lot of work on my other car ('89 Golf MK2 1.6 diesel, slow but very good mileage, around 50 MPG)

Almost finished the dual exhaust, decided it was time for a fun project. Got 'er done but still lacking the end pipes (behind rear tire). Will need some extra 90-degree bends for these. Picture will follow when that is finished.

A couple of small exhaust leaks will have to be addressed.

I used the Walker 18230 mufflers, with is a replacement muffler for Chargers and probably other B bodies with 426 Hemi and 440 engines I believe. Used 2.25" aluminized pipes. Nice and quiet but with a good rumble, meaning you can hear the engine well, especially when you step on it. Exactly what I wanted.

Also repaired the heat riser as it did not move freely. Got it to move freely. By testing on the bench with a heat gun it worked like a charm. Turns out it never opens when driving, probably from the wind cooling the heat riser. The bi-metal spring is 'worn out', opening at a temperature that is too high.

So I will probably delete it but will tie it open for now. Hate heaving to hear the engine running on 3 cylinders with those duals

Question: any forum members still have the heat riser on your 305 or did you delete it?
Old April 27th, 2022, 10:09 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Question: any forum members still have the heat riser on your 305 or did you delete it?
I wired it open once I got it open.
Old April 29th, 2022, 06:11 PM

No troubles with cold start/cold engine hesitation etc?