6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 30th, 2013, 05:00 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Regarding the engine paint there Fetch, some of the folks here on the forum have advised me to go for the VHT or Dulicolor (same company now) #1605, Ford engine Red in order to get the best possible color match. I found a spray can at an old, old NAPA store $4.99 with 1/2 inch of dust on the lid. I had to shake it up for 3 days it'd been sitting so long, then squirted the oil pan, and find it has more reddish and less orangish. Looks very good I think. Pix to follow some day when I do one of them build journals.
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

OK Pepsi I am going to give you a bad time. You have not really had it bad until you have put a sm465 np205 set up in with no jack. 200 lbs of Michigan cast iron on your chest. Try this on the cold. About 15 degrees. Keep it up its good to see you learn. Best wishes. Barry
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Regarding the engine paint there Fetch, some of the folks here on the forum have advised me to go for the VHT or Dulicolor (same company now) #1605, Ford engine Red in order to get the best possible color match. I found a spray can at an old, old NAPA store $4.99 with 1/2 inch of dust on the lid. I had to shake it up for 3 days it'd been sitting so long, then squirted the oil pan, and find it has more reddish and less orangish. Looks very good I think. Pix to follow some day when I do one of them build journals.
I ordered six cans of Ford Red for the engine but the transmission and transfer case was a more rusty color than the motor (maybe just in the 4x4?). I couldn't find any "look alike" colors listed in the archives so I just ran my own testing facility

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I failed, but it's the closest I could find. You're right though. I probably should have just used the Ford Red.

Quote:
OK Pepsi I am going to give you a bad time. You have not really had it bad until you have put a sm465 np205 set up in with no jack. 200 lbs of Michigan cast iron on your chest. Try this on the cold. About 15 degrees. Keep it up its good to see you learn. Best wishes. Barry
I can't even imagine

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I would be one of those guys you see on the news "Weenie-armed idiot crushed to death under vehicle while working on it. Pictures at 10!"

I'm thankful that this one isn't too crazy heavy and even more, I rebuilt it with my own two hands (and a lot of help from this club). It sure feels different when you've put it together yourself, doesn't it?

Thanks for reading my train wreck guys. And all you lurkers too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:43 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

My littlest blonde has a birthday coming up in two days so I'm trying to get Cecilia out of the garage in time to take her birthday pics. And for winter too. I don't move much when it gets cold.

This afternoon I did a couple of piddly things. I wire wheeled and ospho'd the drive shaft that I had forgotten about.

It'll get a coat of herculiner on the shaft. I dont know about the pins etc. Im kinda afraid that would mess them up so I'll probably leave them as they are.

I threw away the old pins for the shifter and set aside my new pins.

I discovered that I had herculiner'ed my shifter bracket here to a piece of cardboard so I got a razorblade and cut it off. That was fun. Then I had to re-herculine the balder spots.

I did some touchup and wiped up the excess on the hump. I still need to get a new rubber liner.

then I sprayed another coat of rustoleum bedliner on the shaft. The rustoleum liner is thin and smooth, better for interior places you'll be touching. The herculiner is like those playgrounds that have chopped up rubber underfoot. Thick and grabby. Not what I want on the shaft of the 4x4 shifter. I stuck it in a hole in the frame to dry

Then I squirted some grease in my new throwout bearing.

And finally I put another coat of blind-your-face orange on the transmission and recoated these two stepside braces. They had spray-on stuff on them first but this stuff is much tougher and they live under the truck so they get coated.

That was it today. Tonight or tomorrow I'll try to mount the tranny and get her moving again

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:39 PM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Excellent work, Fetch. Great detail and all done with a limited number of tools. Good for you!
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:18 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Excellent work, Fetch. Great detail and all done with a limited number of tools. Good for you!
Thanks Andice! Your new avatar is cool!

1960's technology really makes these trucks easy for the newbie to work on with common household stuff. You could almost just buy one of those house-toolkit/toolboxes that come preloaded and do alot of the stuff you have to do to keep them going. It's great

I am having trouble with the transmission insertion though. I can't seem to get it to go in the last inch to inch and a half. I'm thinking it's an alignment thing. I'll be working on it tomorrow but if I can't get it then I'll have to wait till Saturday.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:18 AM
Banned

Did that kit have an alignment tool? If it did not loosen up the pressure plate until the disk is just snug in there. You need to be able to move the disk when you put the trans in. Then you should be able to get the shaft into the bearing.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:51 AM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Thanks Fetch. It took four years to get that avatar. Could your new throwout bearing be the culprit? It looked a little longe than the original.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Did that kit have an alignment tool? If it did not loosen up the pressure plate until the disk is just snug in there. You need to be able to move the disk when you put the trans in. Then you should be able to get the shaft into the bearing.
It was supposed to include one, but it didn't. I think I've found the problem though....

Quote:
Thanks Fetch. It took four years to get that avatar. Could your new throwout bearing be the culprit? It looked a little longe than the original.

It's longer than the original but it does seem to fit in the fork. I had to pry the fork back to get it in but once in there it seems to slide around OK. I'm not sure exactly how it should be.

Well guys, my insertion problem looks to be the loose nut behind the hammer (thats me

). When I tried to get the transmission apart and back together I banged on the input shaft to get things moving in one way or another. It didnt seem to do anything to it so I thought it was just tough steel.

It isnt as tough as a hammer though. I guess i swelled it up on the end and the pilot bearing doesn't fit on it anymore. I'm not sure what to do now. I think I'll try the guy that resurfaced my flywheel and see if he can scour the tip back down to pilot bearing size. Its that or find a donor transmission I think.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:23 AM
Banned

I am sure some one will howl about this advice. Take a flat file and remove the high spots on the end until it fits. Dead blow hammers and brass bars are your friend. Remember that. Barry