6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 12th, 2015, 08:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Just remember, POR-15 cannot be somewhere with direct sunlight contact, it doesn't last long in the light.
I heard that. Good thinkin! I'll have to come up with a sun blocker of some kind for when she's parked.

Quote:
I've used POR-15 in the past as well, after 3 months of exposure the gloss turn chalky flat, so yes it is affected by sun light. Also when using it, it is extremely important to clean your paint gun thoroughly because this stuff is like epoxy and it will literally glue the paint cup to the rest of the and you won't be able to take the gun apart. I have a can of it that I used just once and now the lid is glued shut.
lol, that's what I'm afraid of! I'll let you guys know when I mess it up.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Yeah I want to have white wheels so I'll be painting over it (its black) as soon as I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Truck: 1963 3/4 Ton 4x4 Long Step
pilotguy1050 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Cecilia's going to be a daily driver one day so the first job on the table is making her more reliable. Right now she runs like a one legged duck on a whack-a-mole table. I started with a carb (carburetor) rebuild. I'm sure it's the wrong thing to do. Most of the things I choose to do are probably wrong. I've learned to live with it

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

this is the BEST thread EVER. Hats off to you for your writing style and never-ending fortitude in the face of eternal adversity. Great read.

Signed,
Those of us lost behind you, following your breadcrumb trail....

Old January 20th, 2015, 11:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
this is the BEST thread EVER. Hats off to you for your writing style and never-ending fortitude in the face of eternal adversity. Great read.

Signed,
Those of us lost behind you, following your breadcrumb trail....

Thanks Pilotguy!

I don't know if I'd go that far but I hope some of it is helpful even if it's all in the vein of "Hey ya'll, watch me mess this thing up next"

I missed a great weekend of semi-thawed (60 degree) weather due to being sick. Both me and the Powder Puff were curled up on the couch watching movies. Good snuggle time, not so good workin' time. We're supposed to have similar weather next weekend though so I want to maybe pull Cecilia in the garage with a heater and see how much give those bearings have.

First (Thanks AZKen!) I'll be fiddling with the timing to see if she's off enough to cause predetonation and my mysterious knock. If that doesn't work out I think I can just drop the 'earl pan and wiggle the piston um...bottoms? by hand to see if they're loose enough to be the cause of my knocking.

For anyone that doesn't know what pistons are and how I'm going to be getting to them, engines have these big plunger looking things on top of a crooked stick. Oh, hey I got some terminology when I searched for a pic.

Here's a piston

The connecting rod cap at the bottom should poke down into the oil pan if I read things right. So if I pull off the oil pan I can reach up in there and grab it to see if they wiggle. There should be six since this is a V6.

Anyway, that's the plan.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:16 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Just a quick update. Plan failed miserably. I pulled Cecilia around to the garage to work on her (with all the kids riding along, giddy with anticipation) and stepped into a garage full of water. Long story short I'll be posting a step by step in the Other Rides and Projects section on how to quickly lose $500 and change a 27 year old water heater

Ron, I'm sorry ahead of time. Please don't hate me too bad

All the posts from start to finish will be today so it won't string out very long.

On the upside, Cecilia was great at hauling the new one home. If I hadn't soldered her radiator I'd never have tried this project because like with most things I had no idea what I was doing.

Here's the instructions (destructions?)

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; January 27th, 2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I meant to get my plastigauge out today and check those bearings but the weather didn't cooperate. I only had a couple of hours of warm weather

So I piddled around instead. The neutral alignment I mentioned a few pages ago is still great but the transmission keeps jumping out of second gear and I can't figure out why. I thought I had the linkage messed up (too high, too low?) but after adjusting it all the way in both directions I didn't get anywhere. It still jumped out. So I tore out the hump to see if the tranny was switching all the way in both directions when I moved it.

Here's the linkage I was watching. It was working fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pull the transmission out again and get my hands dirty figuring out why 2nd gear is wonky.

While I was in there I went ahead and adjusted the 4x4 shift knob so it didn't require me to bottom it out against the floor to be in 2 wheel drive.

You just have to stick a big ol' fat screwdriver in the holes and twist it around and it'll lengthen or shorten as you need. I ran mine out about 1/4 inch.

After that was done I drilled some holes to put screws in the rubber boot to hold it down. It wasn't too tough at all.

It turned out pretty good and should keep those nasty exhaust fumes from clouding up my mind. I keep driving in the same circle and wondering why everything looks new to me.

And that was it before the cold crept back in and got me. I'm sick of winter.

Old February 9th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road

Kansas doesn't have "winter" lol. You want to see a real winter, journey to the northeast. Specifically the Lake Ontario snow belt.

About 8 to 10 feet in the last 4 weeks and the temperature yesterday was a balmy 9 degrees with freezing drizzle and snow. Haven't seen the sun in over a week (snows every day). I plowed 3 times last week. (I really hate winter)

Count your blessings!
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:33 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Kansas doesn't have "winter" lol. You want to see a real winter, journey to the northeast. Specifically the Lake Ontario snow belt.

About 8 to 10 feet in the last 4 weeks and the temperature yesterday was a balmy 9 degrees with freezing drizzle and snow. Haven't seen the sun in over a week (snows every day). I plowed 3 times last week. (I really hate winter)

Count your blessings!
I'd never survive that,

I'll take 100 degrees over 50 degrees any day.

Old February 10th, 2015, 02:53 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You want to see a real winter, journey to the northeast. Specifically the Lake Ontario snow belt.

Count your blessings!
I've got relatives in the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas. I pity you all! We've got global warming going on out here. I haven't even had to put my studded tires on yet -- never had that happen before. We've been having overnight lows in the 40s (occasionally high 30s) and daytime highs in the 50s and even low 60s. Seems like we're going right from fall to spring. Some trees are starting to bud out, and I just saw manzanitas starting to flower yesterday.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I've got relatives in the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas. I pity you all! We've got global warming going on out here. I haven't even had to put my studded tires on yet -- never had that happen before. We've been having overnight lows in the 40s (occasionally high 30s) and daytime highs in the 50s and even low 60s. Seems like we're going right from fall to spring. Some trees are starting to bud out, and I just saw manzanitas starting to flower yesterday.
OMG the weather has been AWESOME LATELY!!!

I'm sorry for the delay guys. I had a plan setup for this spring-summer but The Redhead got a new truck to drive off to college (and leave me, boo hoo!) and I've been learning all about diesels. I've got a little more to do on her truck and then I have to finish that stupid fence before The Blonde leaves me (like, DIVORCE!) then I'll be back 100%.

I haven't even gotten to fire Cecilia up in months. My heart is aching over it, but you make sacrifices when you have a family I guess. They're supposed to make it worth it in the long run, right? LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm still alive and still sticking with my build. You guys take care and I'll see you when I get done rat-killin!

Old April 16th, 2015, 03:08 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Fetch: The Blond, Redhead, and family come first. Cecelia will wait, and don't swing a rolling pin as hard either.
Glad you chimed in and still kickin'.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.