6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 22nd, 2018, 03:12 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Mine was not loose, just poorly assembled and not fully seated. Sorted like they bump it after solder and tried to put it back together before the solder solidify. This resulted is a tiny air gap in the connection. Be sure the sending unit is removed from the truck because the torch will make many pieces of you and your truck.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

We need you to hang around for a very very long while.
Mine turned out to be a "pizza-junk". I finally got time to jump out there and fiddle with it today for a while. And get this, the Powder Puff made it out too! Once they get older they just don't like to sweat a drop anymore. I've come to accept it I guess, but when they get a little dad-sick and come out from the air conditioning to spend time with me it sure does make me happy.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So we started off pulling the 5 screws, two nuts, and one pipe off the sending unit - again.

Then on a whim, I thought, "May as well remove that nasty old gas in the tank while I"m in there" so I removed the bolts holding the straps on the tank. That's really all that's holding the tank in there. Plus one worm strap thingy on the fuel neck.

The worm strap was 3/8", I could barely get to it with a wrench, but here's what it looks like.

These straps are just springy metal straps, but they're bent to fit the tank. If you don't move them behind the tank, you'll swear it's bolted down somewhere else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 03:29 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I picked it up from the passenger side. That made the driver's side where the fill tube is go down, With a little wiggling it popped free and didn't spill a drop of old, yucky gas.

Oddly, the whole collar came loose instead of just the part I loosened. I guess it was loose way up in there where it connects to the fill hole.

And although my sending unit said I was empty, it was half full of yellow, gross gasoline. No wonder it was so heavy!

And when I emptied it out in responsible manner that the EPA would approve of, and not in dead spot in my yard,

, all the insides were covered in what looked like rust!

And check out what my sending unit looks like after only a few weeks sitting in the tank. The float even has holes in it!

So now I'm thinking I need to replace the gas tank, or maybe coat it? And I definitely need a new sending unit.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 03:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

And although my sending unit said I was empty, it was half full of yellow, gross gasoline. No wonder it was so heavy!

So now I'm thinking I need to replace the gas tank, or maybe coat it? And I definitely need a new sending unit.
I recently went through the same scenario with my '67. My recommendation would be to go with a new tank. They're not that expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5939.JPG (2.43 MB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:44 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Wish you were closer Fetch, I've got a nice clean tank from a '64 Chevy truck you could have. Probably would be the same.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old August 2nd, 2018, 01:22 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Glad to see PowderPuff joined you.

Maybe that's what's up with my tank. It always hits empty at about half a tank, even after I replaced the sending unit. I thought the gauge might have an issue.

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I recently went through the same scenario with my '67. My recommendation would be to go with a new tank. They're not that expensive.
I looked at some of the guys that did the coating/cleanouts. Not real convinced that isn't just causing more trouble with scale breaking off, more rust later, etc. I think you're right Ed.

Quote:
Wish you were closer Fetch, I've got a nice clean tank from a '64 Chevy truck you could have. Probably would be the same.
DAC
Thanks Dac! This isn't the first time I wished we were closer! I'm going to start pouring green persimmon water between your place and mine tomorrow morning. By this time next year we should have all the space drawn up between us then we can do some real building, haha! (Green persimmons = super sour. Pour on ground to create instant black holes. Dilute for safety!)

Quote:
Glad to see PowderPuff joined you.

Maybe that's what's up with my tank. It always hits empty at about half a tank, even after I replaced the sending unit. I thought the gauge might have an issue.
I also think the sending units they send us don't reach to the bottom of the tanks. I'm going to monkey around with this when the new parts come in and see if I need to bend the intake hose down further, or maybe add a pickup hose.

Well I broke down tonight and place an order with LMC Trucks. I usually order from Brothers, but dang they wanted over $60.00 more for the exact same products! Not today, Satan!

Here's the bill for a sending unit and new tank:

1 32-5921 GAS TANK-17 GALLON 149.95
1 32-4015 SENDING UNIT 49.95

Parts Total: $199.90
Delivery & Handling: $27.75
Oversized Part Fee: $20.00 (Fuel tank)
ORDER TOTAL: $247.65

Old August 20th, 2018, 01:38 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

When I bought my replacement tank I also ordered a new sending unit. I ended up using the old sending unit as the fittings were a different size for the fuel line to the carburetor. ( I think they were the next size smaller)

If your filter neck grommet is in bad shape, now is the time to replace. I will say one thing, the new rubber items didn't hold up nearly as well as OEM items, mine is cracked after a couple of years.
Old August 20th, 2018, 02:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
When I bought my replacement tank I also ordered a new sending unit. I ended up using the old sending unit as the fittings were a different size for the fuel line to the carburetor. ( I think they were the next size smaller)

If your filter neck grommet is in bad shape, now is the time to replace. I will say one thing, the new rubber items didn't hold up nearly as well as OEM items, mine is cracked after a couple of years.
Good idea! Mine is cracked too. I ordered another from Steele Rubber because everyone says they're tough stuff. Expensive stuff is more like it!
I sure hope it lasts!

Fuel neck grommet p/n: 70-1942-41

1 $39.70
Subtotal: $39.70
Shipping: $11.73
Tax: --
Total: $51.43

Old August 20th, 2018, 03:30 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

I checked out their site. Interesting that less parts were listed for the GMC than for the Chevy even though most of the items they list can be used on the GMC as well.
Old August 20th, 2018, 09:57 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I also think the sending units they send us don't reach to the bottom of the tanks. I'm going to monkey around with this when the new parts come in and see if I need to bend the intake hose
The next time I work on my tank I going to install a HydraMat Fuel Pickup.

I will have to adapt it from 3/8" NPT to a 5/16" line. It will get every drop of fuel out of the tank.