6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old November 28th, 2014, 01:21 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Mirror attachments

I am finally going to pick up my GMC tomorrow. it's a 65 model and not too bad shape. I want add a stock passenger side mirror and a in cab rear view mirror. When I gave it a quick check I didn't see any covers for mounting holes. Do the factory side mirrors have a lug with screw threads under the sheet, or do I have to add a nut on the inside of the door ? I guess I have the same question on the inside rear view mirror. drill and use sheet metal screws or is there a hidden mounting point.
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:46 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mirror attachments

On my 68, yes I know it's a different body style, what you have is a reinforcement plate with three threaded holes for the mirror to attach to. I'm very near certain the setup is the same on 60-66 trucks because I do remember when my father replaced the stock mirrors on his 62 K1000 with the bigger long arm swing lock mirrors the original screws were used to fill the holes in the stock mirror location. It only makes sense to have a reinforcement plate inside the door panel to support the mirror assembly. If you can't find an original then cut up a plate and drill three holes in it then weld some nuts on the back of the plate or just install the nuts when you're hanging the mirror on.
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:36 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Thanks, I guess the process is to pull the panel off the door on the interior, find the plate and drill pilot holes from the inside out to locate the mirror. I'm not sure if I can get a drill motor in there, may need an angled head style.
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:45 AM

bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

No that would not be the way just pick the location and drill from the outside, maybe you misunderstood something in my previous response?
Old November 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road

I added a passenger mirror on mine a while back. Mine had a reinforcement plate on the inside as stated by bigblockv6, but there were no welded nuts like on my driver door.

I took my driver side mirror off, taped on a piece of notebook paper onto the door and traced the bolt pattern and the forward and upper door edges . I then flipped the paper over and transferred the bolt pattern onto the passenger door. After drilling the pilot holes, I noticed I was about 1/16" off from the center of the existing holes in the reinforcement plate, so I made that adjustment when drilling the through holes.

My mirror hardware came with lock washers and nuts.

I really like it, especially when backing trailers.
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:48 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

So there are existing holes in the reinforcing plate. I was hoping there were as the bolts shown for the mirror were machine threads. I too am big on making things equal when installed, so I would be measuring it out very carefully before I drilled any holes. What about the interior mirror? The nifty replacement mounts looked to be installed by drilling holes above the window, this truck never had a rear view mirror, so no existing holes. I do have a glue on mirror assy from a friends Chevy, maybe I will just buy the correct glue and go that route.

Right now I have bigger fish to fry on this truck as it doesn't run. The PO believed the valves were burnt from unleaded. I had discussed the issue in this forum many months ago and the consensus was that the valves were too tight.

I plan on adjusting the valves cold first to a ballpark figure, plus a couple thousands from specs and give the old girl a compression test first to see what's up. This truck shows 67K on the odometer, since it was used as a farm/dump run truck, it may be correct.

Is there a drain on the gas tank?

We go and pick it up today, I will post some pictures when it gets to my place.
Old November 29th, 2014, 12:48 AM

Both my fathers 62 K1000 and the 68 K2500 didn't come with inside rear view mirror from the factory. I was really surprised that the 68 didn't come with it as fully optioned the is but the dealer did install mirrors on both trucks, they just drilled and used sheet metal screws.