6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 27th, 2019, 10:37 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Quote:
Thanks for your motivation

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

One question to all: on the last picture I've found this spring on the frame. What is the task of the spring?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I believe that the return spring for the clutch fork.
Old October 24th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Truck: GMC 1500 1965
GMCTom will become famous soon enoughGMCTom will become famous soon enough

Here are the promised photos of the restored pedal unit

Completely sandblasted, zinc primed and powdercoated. Screws are sandblasted and black galvanized.

I also replaced the bushings with new ones.

Old October 25th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Great looking ride, taking her down to teh ground is the only true way to know shes been treated right. BTW I do love the view of the Mountains.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 05:55 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

Believe the spring is to return the clutch bell crank, I'll double check on mine, I have the sm420 transmission, but any standard will have the return spring.
Steve
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Thank you everybody.

Ed: if you like the mountains I have a lot of pictures

Steve and James: if I understand correctly, the spring is hung here (photo)?

BTW: the frame is now sandblasted and painted. Also the crossmember and the control arms. I want to mount the parts in a few days to post new pictures

Last edited by GMCTom; November 4th, 2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old November 4th, 2019, 08:01 PM

tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

I dont think that is the correct spring, the spring your showing looks more like the one found on the emergency brake assembly to the back equalizing plate.
Here is the pic of my spring on the clutch bell crank. Hope this helps. My truck is a 64 so maybe different.

1st pic is clutch second pic is ebrake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2070.JPG (3.08 MB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_1922.JPG (3.98 MB, Multiple views, 21 clicks)

Last edited by tbucketnut; November 4th, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:11 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

GMCTom that is the correct spring. You should also have a stiff wire to extend the spring so it can connect to the clutch fork, see the picture of mine. it should be a long coil spring not a short one. I also have the spring that tbucket show for the parking/emergency brake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.JPG (1.45 MB, Multiple views, 21 clicks)
Old November 5th, 2019, 05:49 AM

James, that means mine is probably wrong then. Your setup looks exactly like my 53 truck though, same spring and stiff wire extender.
Old November 5th, 2019, 09:05 AM

James, Steve, thank you a lot for the pictures.

I think I have the solution. The probably best wife in the world gave me the maintenance manual of my GMC truck to my birthday

The spring is the right one. It is connected to a link (bended wire). This link is conencted to the frame. The other end of the spring is connected to the release fork of the clutch. Don't know if it is allowed to post a picture out of the manual.

Thank you for the note regarding the spring of the handbrake. This one is missing completely

Old November 5th, 2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
GMCTom that is the correct spring. You should also have a stiff wire to extend the spring so it can connect to the clutch fork, see the picture of mine. it should be a long coil spring not a short one. I also have the spring that tbucket show for the parking/emergency brake.
Yes this is the right combination. Maybe you can tell me how long the stiff wire is?