6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:52 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

yeah the meet should be cool (or hot lol it will be june!) but I cant make it. thats fathers day weekend. I told coop that but he's set on that weekend. I think someone has his ear.

Oh well, maybe ill make the next one.

They're calling for arctic air next weekend. Ask the ladies if they'd like a mug of creamy hot chocolate instead

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:27 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

Cayoterun you should copy those builds over to thos forum, I'm betting evey one would like to see them.

FetchMeAPepsi is a starnge Member Name, must be what you say to your helpers on those Hot summer days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:09 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Cayoterun you should copy those builds over to thos forum, I'm betting evey one would like to see them.

FetchMeAPepsi is a starnge Member Name, must be what you say to your helpers on those Hot summer days.
Yeah coyote! you just have to do what I did, hit reply on your posts over there and it copies right over.

Fetchmeapepsi is what I picked because i stink at picking forum names and I only drink pepsi's. Not water, not coke, and only occasionally a cup of coffee or a diet DP if the place doesn't have pepsi. Prolly rotting my kidneys but its been this way for about 10 years now with no problems.

watch me fall over dead tomorrow lol.
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Today was the first really pretty weekend day we've had in a while. On the spur of the moment after raking the kids' sandbox we pulled off the air cleaner on Cecilia and ran a wire wheel over it to remove all the old paint and rust.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It worked great, but took three full batteries in the cordless drill. Afterward we sprayed it with primer.

Then an hour later it was on with the black paint.

Here's the primer I used:

And the paint is this

It turned out pretty decent except for the bugs flying into the paint when we started. I guess this stuff is like candy to them. I picked several off with sticks but we were able to rebuild the splotches out to look smooth.
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:55 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have any of you seen a seat like this? This is the first one I've seen. The orig owner said it was all stock but I've never seen one in an ad or a build or anything.
That's an after market seat cover, It could be a dealer item though certainly not from the factory. My Dad bought a seat cover from JC Pennys that looked similar many years ago only it was beige & white. Nice to see you have helpers there enjoy...Vernski

Old April 14th, 2013, 02:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
That's an after market seat cover, It could be a dealer item though certainly not from the factory. My Dad bought a seat cover from JC Pennys that looked similar many years ago only it was beige & white. Nice to see you have helpers there enjoy...Vernski

Aha! I thought it might be an aftermarket seat! Thanks Vernski. Its been on forever. it has rust spots all along the clips in the back. I'll replace it one day with a factory lookalike. Probably vinyl again to keep it as a workable truck.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

This Saturday was great outside. I've been working on the radio indoors. I'll post a full rebuild of that once its finished. Right now it looks like this:

Scary huh? This is my first radio teardown and repair so Google and I have been working pretty hard at learning what the heck I'm doing. I hope it doesnt blow up and take out a city block lol. If it works and any of you want to rebuild your original AM radios back to working condition it'll make for a good step by step guide. I only listen to Am anyway so its perfect for this news junkie.

So back to Saturday. We had a storm blow through and it knocked a bunch of our limbs off of our trees. Cecilia got loaded up and carried a couple of loads to the dump for us. She's a workhorse for sure. And it's great not worrying that she'll get all dinged up with a few sticks like newer trucks. Thanks heavy gauge sheet metal!

After that I wanted to make another attempt to get the primer off of her. Someone I talked to suggested Mineral Spirits so I bought a can of this and pulled out my pressure washer again. The lid on these is a safety lid that YOU CANT OPEN. The plastic is just cheap and spins over the metal cap. I took a screwdriver and pried it off to get it open. It closed right up afterward like nothing ever happened. The plastic part playing in my trash can with other worthless junk.

The verdict on this stuff is a very unhappy two thumbs down. It didn't do anything at all. I rubbed with steel wool and that worked OK, but it did the same without this stuff. i packed it all back up and

after hearing about it's spray-paint removal power. Leave it on a few seconds, they said, and poof! You have old paint restored.

I'll let you guys know how it worked when it comes in on tuesday. That was it for paint removal. Highly anticlimactic.

So I grabbed my newly de-toothed Powder Puff mechanic...

...and we sanded off the air cleaner again cuz of the paint getting rough spots from the last outdoor painting. Thanks to member WDShaffer for the advice on the sanding. I tied her to 600 grit and let her start scrubbing. THe pics were indoors so they turned out too dark, but here's the end result. Smooth, shiny, and we're 100% happy.

Now we just need to do something about that peeling and abused engine.

Old April 15th, 2013, 11:08 PM

Truck: 1960 GMC 1000 Fenderside Long Bed 2WD 305A 3-Speed
GMC Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radio rebuild

I'm in need of a volume rheostat for my radio. It's either no volume or too much with nothing in between.

On the tree limb front, this just goes to show it can happen anywhere. This limb from my olive tree landed on my truck Monday, April 8th after some high winds overnight. Fortunately, there was no real damage to the truck. The tree has since gotten a good haircut!

1960 GMC 1000 Fenderside Long Bed 2WD 305A 3-Speed

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:43 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Arthur, it's great having a truck with more than 1/99th of an inch of sheet metal around it, isn't it? I really dig that I can lean against the fender and it doesn't feel like a beer can. And i know a guy with an old radio for $30.00. If you wanna snag the rheostat out of it I'll ship it for $7.00 fedex. If he still has it. These old radios are getting tough to find.

This week I got a *FREE*, yes you read that right *FREE* air compressor. I hate the little ball blower i have now. Its only a 2 gallon walmart special. It wont even air up a car tire without recharging it three times. Worthless.

The new compressor is a 20 gallon Ironhorse upright model that fits perfectly in the empty space by my rakes and other longhandles. Heres a pic of it new.

Mine looks like this now

I took it apart because i wanted to see if it was all OK inside and it was leaking through a few of the couplings. i found out that not one, not two, not three....but all four feet on the motor are broken off. The only thing holding the motor to the tank is the connection pipe itself. I called around and no one seems to have an old casing i can use so i ordered a couple of bakers silicone bake sheets as dampeners to sit the motor on. Then i'll strap it down to keep it stationary. Recycling at its best!

I hope to use a low airflow hvlp paint gun with it to paint cecilia if I cant do a patina build. Heres the style i had in mind.

Hers a pic of it.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

HVLP means high volume low pressure, and they mean it. If you are painting single panels or a few at a time, your compressor will keep up without a problem. The secret to HVLP working very well is an air pressure regulator (not a"cheater valve") on the supply hose set to the gun's specified working pressure. I repainted my brother's stock car twice before I figured out the rental booth was using a separate compressor for the HVLP supply line. After that, I was laying down polyurethane in smooth sheets.

Gravity feed guns like that are easy to clean, too. However, the 1 quart pot is about the limit for painting a single coat on a sedan or a truck cab without the bed.

If it is inexpensive, consider a second gun for primer, so you can set up the fluid jet and pattern for the thicker material. I use a Harbor Freight source gun for primer, and a very nice composite DeVilbiss for paint. But paint is my bag, and I have had great results with low-cost tools. Like anything, you need to learn the techniques first then adapt to the tools at hand.