6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old March 14th, 2024, 05:56 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Visiting the USA

Hello there,

Planning to visit the USA this summer on my own. The plan is to do a roundtrip and visit a couple of states. Looking to stay about 3-4 weeks starting around mid July. I've never visited the US before.

Not having any relatives or other contacts in the USA, what better to ask here on the forum if any of you would like to show me what life is all about in the US? This way I could visit some of you and we can go for a drive in your GMC, of course

If there is any interest, feel free to PM me and maybe we can work something out!

David
Old March 14th, 2024, 06:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Visiting the USA

Dang, you're from one of the most beautiful places on earth and you want to come to this crap hole?

Well my 2 cents - Stay away from blue states. You'll just get robbed and have no recourse (law). Shoot for a place with a large tourist population like Florida, Texas, etc. so you'll have plenty to do.

What's the goal? Just lookin? Sightseeing? Activities? Fishing? Hunting? Scuba diving? Eating crazy (for you) foods? Or riding around on a old person scooter and yelling at Americans (I dont know how old you are) haha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 14th, 2024, 08:34 PM

Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Dang, you're from one of the most beautiful places on earth and you want to come to this crap hole?

Well my 2 cents - Stay away from blue states. You'll just get robbed and have no recourse (law). Shoot for a place with a large tourist population like Florida, Texas, etc. so you'll have plenty to do.

What's the goal? Just lookin? Sightseeing? Activities? Fishing? Hunting? Scuba diving? Eating crazy (for you) foods? Or riding around on a old person scooter and yelling at Americans (I dont know how old you are) haha!
Most beautiful place on earth I wouldn't say, but we can't complain, that's for sure. You have to like paying taxes though.

Always have been fascinated by the US and now I get the chance to come and visit. But I don't like to be the "standard tourist" if that makes sense.

The goal is, as I tried to make clear to get an idea of life in the US. Which is why I asked you folks. If I can drop by for a day or two you could show me around your town so to say. That is, if you don't mind showing a stranger around.
If I need to turn a wrench or help out with something, no problem, that way I could do my part to help you out.

My age? Just a young guy at 25 years old (or young?)
Old March 15th, 2024, 01:17 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Taxes? We got tons of those here too now.

Well the US is H-U-G-E, so you'll get very different experiences at different areas. Imagine touring all of the USSR and Europe in a couple of weeks.

I guess for suggestions I'd have to say, what are you into? Are you loud? Do you drink? Are you physically fit and trained to defend yourself?
Or are you more of a family man?
Are you considering a move?
Are you looking for a girl?
Where are you thinking about going right now? (to get ideas of what you're in to)

How hot can you stand? Anywhere below the mason-dixon line gets in the 100s and causes Brits to pass out. I know you vikings are build of better stuff, but be aware.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:59 AM

Good call Fetch, so here it goes:
What am I into: classic cars and trucks, mostly. From racing to scouring junkyards. History of the US, from the civil war to present.
Loud? no, not really. Don't drink either. Physically fit? Yes.
Family man? I'd say so, but don't have a family as of yet.
Considering a move? Maybe, always been fascinated with the US but seeing how steep the decline of the country is, I'm not sure.
Looking for a girl? Definitely
Thinking about going? Northern-middle parts of the US, for example a state like Kansas (where you live) still has a lot of the rural small town America that I'm looking for.
Definitely want to avoid the cities.

Climate wise, 100F is the limit I'd say.

Hope this makes some sense.
Old March 15th, 2024, 01:09 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Yeah it sounds like Missouri, Kansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Utah would be good for you. A lot of history in some of those states too. Some sights that are touristy but still not "Disney" style touristy that I'd recommend are Silver Dollar City in Missouri, Ark tour in Kentucky, Graceland in Tenn (because it's just a requirement), and Monument Valley in Utah.
For day to day living, I'd maybe do a couch surfing thing?
https://about.couchsurfing.com/about/resource-center/
That'll get you connected with people that are outgoing and friendly. Most people are less so in day to day life so this is a taste without getting a whole plate full of America.

One thing Europeans don't usually think about is in the rural areas of these states guns can be everywhere on good people. In the cities, it's mostly the undesirables that have guns, and they're always hidden.

Back to rural, they might have a holster like a police officer or under their clothes. Don't freak out and call the cops, it's normal like wearing a shirt to them. Know if something happens those guys are friendlies.

Other than that, ask questions. Most everyday people will smile at you and even say Hi. They expect you to smile back and respond in kind. That doesn't mean they want to be best friends, they're just showing that they're friendly. If they say anything more than Hi then they're probably open to answering questions and being in a conversation.

It sounds like you're in for an adventure, and this is probably not a horrible time to do it with elections later this year. Prices are almost double what they were in 2019 (before Covid) so it'll be more expensive right now, but if we change leaders the losing side will probably be looting and crying in the streets again, and tearing up police stations.

As long as you make it here before November you'll pay a higher price but avoid the drama.

Things to avoid (I'm safety minded, I have a family and all that...):
1. Housing neighborhoods with houses under 1000 sq feet. They're usually bad neighborhoods.
2. Big cities after 7pm
3. Any loud people (Yes, I probably mean what you think). You'll get a pass due to the accent, but that pass wears out over time. How much time depends on the intelligence of the Howler.
4. Public transportation (its for the loud people). Take an Uber or drive yourself with a rental.
5. Forests and wooded areas - Not because you'll get murdered, but because of tickborne disease and wild animals that can kill you. If you have a buddy, ignore this. Take tick precautions though.
6. Food off of a truck. It's often delicious, but for Europeans it may give you the mud butt (diarrhea).
7. Untethered dogs or dogs tethered to women. Some dogs are friendly (yay), others are just looking for a reason to rip your throat out. Women will yank their leash and say "omg he just wants to say hi!" meanwhile the dog is barking and slobbering with his eyes locked on your jugular. The dog sometimes wins because it's too powerful for the woman. If you run, bring pepper spray.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with something else, but that's the big things I can think off offhand. Too bad my wife's a xenophobe, or I'd sure put you up here and let you play with Cecilia. My boy's almost grown now and built like a Connor McGreggor, Powder Puff is gone, and just the little blonde is left. We have the room. I'd enjoy the help too. I'm working on building a 3ft x 4ft coffee table from local hardwoods, then taking out a tree that drops too many leaves and threatens me with its ugly face every morning.

Anyway, this has become a small novel so I'll shut up now. Have to take the kids to school anyway!

Old March 15th, 2024, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info Fetch! Sure is appreciated.
I've heard of the Ark encounter. Being a Christian myself it would be worth checking out.

Couch surfing I'll be sure to check out too!

Not afraid of guns; have a gun license here, know how to shoot and handle them responsibly. Have a few Colt single actions myself.

Have been keeping up with US elections and all the drama it brings. Hope the elections come out right, but fat chance the leftists will leave their mark in the infrastructure...

Indeed a shame your wife doesn't enjoy having strangers around.

Any other members wanting to chime in, feel free to do so!
Old March 16th, 2024, 04:32 AM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

I can't figure out what to think about this discussion.
Does it reflect what we are here for?
Old March 16th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Not necessarily, I agree.
Old March 16th, 2024, 06:53 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I can't figure out what to think about this discussion.
Does it reflect what we are here for?
It's in General Discussion so it could be anything. The guy genuinely wants input. I don't see that being wrong. Plus our country could use more like him.