6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old May 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default auxiliary transmissions and where to look.

One of the coolest additions to any old ruck is small brownie box. Not only are they a conversation piece they really change the personality of an old rig. Now the 3 speed boxes give you 12 options with a 4 speed. But on the road you really only use them as a 8 speed. Now in this day and age of point and click parts searches a lot of people miss the stuff sitting all around them. Every brownie i have ever found has been within an hour of my house and not listed as for sale. A few i have found in wreaking yards. But most are in old farm trucks. I am always looking for and asking about old stuff. And a hundred goes a long way when buying stuff off of some long dead truck. Over the years i have found dozens of these gear boxes and the most i ever paid was 150.00 and he pulled it. So look in the industrial areas and farms and just ask around. Lots of cool stuff just sitting and rotting. Next post i will talk more about these 2 boxes and what to expect from them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140525_093026.jpg (683.0 KB, Multiple views, 25 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140525_092937.jpg (586.1 KB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Banned

Default Re: auxiliary transmissions and where to look.

Alrighty then let's talk about these old watsons. First. I believe that if you have a 3/4 to 1 1/2 ton truck and you use it nothing increases mileage better and decreases engine strain and wear more than these auxiliaries . All of you guys running 4 speeds know what it's like on those long not to steep hills where 3rd is to slow and your v6 is screaming and 4th is lugging to much. Or even with 3.54 gears 65 is really over revving the 6.
Now in the pics above we have a watson 39 that's the smaller one and a #42. I really like the 31 and 39 boxes for their size but they are older boxes and getting harder to find. But they fit the 3/4 ton trucks nicely and I mount them right in front of the carrier bearing crossmember. The same way I mount the little 2 speed watson 2021 boxes. That is how this 39 will be mounted in the 65 truck. The common ratios for the 39 series seem to be 2.11 -1 .75-1 direct 1-1. And 1.49-1. .83-1 and direct 1-1. This 39 m is the first ratios. I am not going to do the math but it allows you to spit the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts and gives you 25 percent overdrive. So over the next few weeks a will fab up a mount and show you the process of installing this in a v6 gmc truck. Later we will talk about the more common 40 series boxes.
Old May 26th, 2014, 05:22 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 K1500
pasadenajim is on a distinguished road

Barry, very interesting reading here! I am getting close to getting my 65 K1500 on the road but am quite concerned about "buzzing" the 305 expecially considering It is a total rebuild. I have considered a Range Splitter or other aftermarket OD but it seems that one of these "boxes" would be not only period correct but actually a Factory OEM item. FYI, my particular K1500 is a HEAVY 3/4 ton 4WD and the tag says GVW 8000 pounds. So, which of the boxes would you recommend, how are they mounted, and how does one shift it??? Thanks in advance, Jim Hyde, Phx AZ
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Glad to hear you are getting close on your truck. Well on a 4x4 you want to mount it between the t case and trans. But on a stock 60-66 truck it gets pretty tight. Years ago I mounted a watson 2021 2 speed box in between a 420 trans and a Rockwell t case. I used a pto cable to shift it. I currently have a 2021 in my 60 two wheel drive operated the same way. THe crossmember to mount these boxes is easy to make and I will be making 2 over the next few weeks. On the 3 speed boxes you have an extra shifter that works just like any shifter. I will post some pics of one of those later today.
Jim I don't have a stock 60-66 to measure for the drive line length between the t case and trans. If you or some one else has this length I can help narrow the search for you. This will make it easier to figure what box and short couple shaft you would need. Barry
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM

Truck: 1964 1500 wideside
MHoyt1964 is on a distinguished road

Hi Barry, This coversation has got my attention as i was considering the 3:54 gear upgrade but this sounds like it might be a better investment. What kind of donor vehicles do you find these in. I am on the east coast but am gearing up to move to idaho asap since my job is going to Mexico. I am seriously thinking of asking my 64 GMC to pull my car trailer loaded across country.
Thanks
Mark
Reading Penna.
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your job. But Idaho is nice. Well I find them in 40's-60's 1-1/2 and 2 ton trucks mostly. All brands. I go prospecting once or twice a month. Old yards, big truck salvage yards... Farm country. I hit my pull and save yards once a week or so. My brother says my eyes are like a lizards one looking at the road the other looking to the side. I am not afraid to stop and ask about some old rig. And since I smile a lot and talk I usually can break down the most stubborn people. It also helps that I usually am driving some old relic of a rig. And most importantly I carry cash. I have some old car guys that are always after me to find them stuff. Stuff I am not even into. Most of them ask how I find things ,and it's always the same response. MAGIC. Seriously though I just ask around. One lead leads to the next and so on... This is why I am encouraging you all to look. I can't be the only guy finding this stuff. I have brought three of the boxes home this year already and have leads on two more.
Sorry for going on here, but one more thing this stresses the importance of asking around. So an old friend of mine calls and asks if it's alright to send a guy my way for a Detroit no spin for his 57 Chevy napco one ton. Sure I guess. The wife hates the truck crazies coming by the house. It usually means I am AWOL from honey do list. So off to the gear shed for a no spin. Gotta be quick I tell him I want to go fishing tomorrow. The guy walks in and does not say a word. We get a no spin and close that deal and he takes me home. Next day my bud calls and says his friend nearly had a heart attack when he walked into the garage. Not only was he proud of his napco he loved old jeeps. He told my friend he has been looking for a small brownie for his 57 for 30 years and here is this kid with 6 in a row like some dealer. Well the guy comes back and and we close a deal on one for some green money and a bottle of crown. He later invites me out to his place to look at his junk. He then asks me where I find my parts and I said I just ask around and stop and talk. Then I told him I had bought the brownie that I sold him from his neighbor about three years earlier. It was in that old 54 Chevy that was still sitting by the barn. He said I never would of thought to ask. Well I did and that's why he had to get it from me. I never did have the heart to tell him what I gave for it though.. Well next post I will get some more pics of some more watsons and some shifters. Barry
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Banned

Here is a Watson 43. The only difference between the 42 pictured above is low is 2.11-1 In the 43. This box also has the e brake on it and drive flanges instead of 1350 yokes. Later i will drag out a 420 trans for a visual size comparison. Then i will crack it open for a looksie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140527_190851.jpg (572.5 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140527_190833.jpg (591.9 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Truck: 1966 1000
kieth is on a distinguished road

aren't there other od boxes that have only OD, can you do a list of the high side of these gear boxes (OD) I can build a spreadsheet that shows torque and speeds for reference....Kieth
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Banned

.83 and.75 on the 30 and 40 series boxes. It depends on the model. .80 on the 2021. Yes there are other od only set ups they run from about .78-.71. But there are some application issues on the vintage stuff. Plus I can recondition and set up with drive lines a vintage brownie for about 400-500 bucks. Cost and cool factor for me. Barry.
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Banned

I have also adapted a BW r 11 to a 420 trans. But I am not so sure it's the best idea to ponder. I have flogged this in the 65 but it's to light for me. It's going to be replaced with a 39m Watson . This rig has 3.54 gears and the overdrive never has caused the truck to be a poor performer. It's just wearing out. I knew better when I built it. I will save it for a 1/2 ton cruiser. Chevy probably.