6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 1st, 2014, 05:55 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Quote:
(someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal)

Hi Aphaynes,

Experimenting with alternatives to original road draft crankcase vent tube a 1965 Chevy 235 I6 engine, I closed off road draft crankcase vent tube. There was enough pressure in the crankcase to blow oil (like a gusher) up the space between distributor shaft and the vertical bored hole in which it is placed. The oil left the engine and went out to the world between the engine block and distributor flange. I opened up the crankcase vent again and, of course, the oil stayed where it belonged: thank you, gravity.

Suggests to me your clogged crankcase vent may be related to gushing oil.

Hope this helps, Here's hoping for a quick fix, and Regards,

Culver
Awesome! That to me is what looks like has been happening...gusher....the way it has covered the rear end of the engine, the trans housing, the firewall, etc. etc. I am trying to figure out now how to safely remove that so I can get it all cleaned up and get the gunk out of that center hole without sending it into the block. It appears to be a press fit, but it must be in their pretty tight. Of course the gunk is probably gluing it in. LOL.

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully i can report good some good news when everything is cleaned up and put back together. Unfortunately, I'll be getting home to late tonight to do anything with it.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:20 PM

So the Crankcase Filter housing won't budge from the block after fighting with it for several hours. The center hole that allows air into the engine is completely clogged. I would just knock the stuff out of that hole, but then it is going to go into the engine. Evidently with the engine still in the truck there is no good way to get a grip or leverage on it to break it loose. Maybe a shop vac while breaking the crud in the center loose, followed by dumping the oil and pulling the pan to get any crud out that falls in? Seems like a lot of hassle for a part that should not be so difficult to remove.

Maybe cooling the area with something to get the metal breather housing portion to contract?

Last edited by aphaynes; April 3rd, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought I had one with the tranny pics but nope.

Its a hard very immovable steel pipe that pokes down the back of the engine. If you crawl under the truck for any reason it will seek out sore spots and poke you in them, usually around the temples and ears. Oh, and it drips oil too so you get a nice coating of facepaint as a bonus.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Its not my favorite feature lol.
---
Hi Fetch and AP,

Attached, from "1960-1966 Chev/GMC Truck Factory Assembly Instruction Manual" is a drawing of crankcase road draft ventilation tube, also called crankcase vent and, among those with first hand experience, facepaint application tube. In drawing, it is labeled "Ventilator Assy." It is shown on the passenger side of a straight six engine. (The drawing does not show the cleverly concealed face-seeking mechanism on the lower end of the vent tube.)

Other versions replaced the open-to-the-road downdraft tube with a positive crankcase vent (pcv) valve and smaller tube to the intake manifold.

Regards and Hope this helps,

Culver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc05519-R.jpg (196.4 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:27 PM

Thanks Culver. Unfortunately, I do not have a downdraft tube. My setup is just like what is shown on the club page

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Here is the location of the item. Unfortunately, not so easy to handle with the engine in the truck. easy to change the filter though if that was all I needed to do right now.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Culver. Unfortunately, I do not have a downdraft tube. My setup is just like what is shown on the club page

Here is the location of the item. Unfortunately, not so easy to handle with the engine in the truck. easy to change the filter though if that was all I needed to do right now.

Hi AP,

From your post #44 I followed your link and I figured you might have a crankcase ventilation filter similar to NAPA's FIL 2718. In post #42, Fetch wrote, "...about the fitler though. Mine is road draft ventilation tubed." Then in post # 43, you wrote about that, "Got a pic of that? ...I know you do." And he responded, "I thought I had one with the tranny pics but nope. Its a hard very immovable steel pipe that pokes down the back of the engine..."

Putting 2 and 2 together and not coming up with an answer, I figured you were tired of pouring perfectly good carb cleaner into a black hole and might be looking for a way to scrap modern technology by going back to the good old days. Which, parenthetically, is precisely where I would be. And, like you, I would get out the torch. After I melted most of the crankcase ventilation filter's housing, I would thank the stars for confirming my battle plan i.e. reinvention/adaptation of the road draft vent. Hence the drawing makes perfect sense to me. If your luck with removal of existing is good or better, "Hats off" I say, followed by an apology for the confusion ;=) .

Regards and Good or better luck torching,

Culver
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Hi AP,

Putting 2 and 2 together and not coming up with an answer, I figured you were tired of pouring perfectly good carb cleaner into a black hole and might be looking for a way to scrap modern technology by going back to the good old days. Which, parenthetically, is precisely where I would be. And, like you, I would get out the torch. After I melted most of the crankcase ventilation filter's housing, I would thank the stars for confirming my battle plan i.e. reinvention/adaptation of the road draft vent. Hence the drawing makes perfect sense to me. If your luck with removal of existing is good or better, "Hats off" I say, followed by an apology for the confusion ;=) .

Regards and Good or better luck torching,

Culver

to funny. All info is greatly appreciated!
Yes I have been considering a change to either the older days of the road draft or newer days with tubes going to valve covers, etc., etc. Heck if odd stuff like this keeps up and with parts hard to find, I may have to take on the idea of a whole new modern engine.

LOL...just a frustrating little bump in the road right now. I thought I would be done with this leaking business and be on to fixing up other issues. Oh well. At least I'm learning as I go!

Fetch - as for my little assistant and namer of truck, well...she saw a spider in the cab and won't go near it now. LOL. I have to "fumigate it" before she will get in it again.

Old April 4th, 2014, 04:54 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

AP,

You may have a big enough audience on this thread to get feedback from someone who understands where the crud would go if you were able to break it up and some fell into the engine. If it goes straight to the pan bottom (below pump pickup and moving parts) without plugging any oil channels, would there be a problem? If you go the shop vac route, the bottom will probably fall into the engine before you get it all. My luck would be that I would also drop a tool into the hole. I am really surprised that carburetor cleaner does not soften it up, because it works really well on the much smaller amounts of crud on the little screen in my tube leading from the engine to the air cleaner.

jrmunn
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

There is a brass mesh in the tube. Blast it with Carb cleaner and then run some diesel through the hole to flush it out the oil drain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140403_162504.jpg (538.7 KB, Multiple views, 19 clicks)
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
There is a brass mesh in the tube. Blast it with Carb cleaner and then run some diesel through the hole to flush it out the oil drain.

Well alrighty then! I haven't seen anything that talked about mesh being in there. Many thanks!

I was about to try to get that stuff out last night. On that note, I guess I don't need to remove the whole housing. Thanks again!

Old April 5th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

While you are at it you should check the PVC valve. That's really why your engine is pressurizing. It needs vacuum to pull through the breather. While your at it put some new valve cover gaskets in. Glue them to the covers with black rtv. This lets you pull the covers with ease. Then check the valve lash hot. .012 intake, .018 exhaust. This is a big problem I have found with these old boys, to little lash. Finally find someone with a dwell meter and a vacuum guage and set the timing. I bet there is some old timer in northern Alabama with these tools and the know his to use them. Lastly when ever I think of the rural south I think of the movie deliverance. I bet you think of my neck of the woods and think randy weaver and the order. It's a draw. But we have better old rigs. Barry