6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 27th, 2022, 05:20 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

On a new topic, the hunt has begun for new wheels. I want 16's now so I'm not riding around on tiny little pie plates. It seems like to get OEM wheels you need to know someone that saved them from the 60s though, so I'm doing some glad handing and kissing babies to find someone with a stash of 16x5s.

I've got a meeting with a guy on Friday. We'll see how it goes. I'll either have a new set of 16's to show you guys or I'll have eliminated one more source. Here's to the first one!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 27th, 2022, 11:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

16x5's seemed to be out of the question, HOWEVER....

I did end up landing a new set of 5 DexStar 16x6 wheels that fit PERFECTLY. The only problem is that they're black. I'll need to paint 'em!

Here's the details:
Part number: 17-235
Brand: Dexstar
Size: 16x6
Weight Rating: 3050lbs
Bolt Count: Six Bolt
Pattern: Rim 6x5.5 (GUA)

Here's a picture of the sticker:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Probably going to try to pain 'em this week, weather permitting. Then beefy meaty tires will be on!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 4th, 2022, 02:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Painting went well! Phone did not. It broke on me and new parts are on order so this post is a placeholder until I can get it fixed and get the pictures off of it.

Materials I used:
400 grit sand paper I had laying around
Air hose and terrycloth towel
A decent paintbrush
Rustoleum Farm Equipment Enamel, White (supposed to be very tough once dry)
Masking tape
Tire, which should be mounted before painting

It was a DANG fine day at 70 degrees and a good breeze. I pulled out my new wheel, ugly and black as it was, and laid it on the back of my old junky trailer.

(picture of black wheel)

I started off by sanding down the black face of the wheel, just enough to scuff it up and give the paint something to hold on to. This didn't take any time at all.

(picture of sanded wheel all ugly and scratched up)

Then I shot it with the air hose to blow the dust off, and wiped it up with a terry cloth towel. Then I started painting, and painting, and painting.The first coat looked like a Tom Sawyer whitewash job, with streaks of black showing through and kinda ugly. Also I tried to keep the brush wet because it dried pretty fast and it would get grainy if you ran the brush over it after it started to set up. Once it was covered in streaks and whiteish, I just quit for a while and let it dry for an hour.

(picture of painted and streaky tire. Eww, you're grossed out and it's only your imagination right now!)

Then I hit it again, and again. Three coats in total.

(picture of finished white wheel without tire. So purty!)

Then I mounted the tire on it and found out that you can't do that until the paint has had a TON of time to cure, like a week or more.

(picture of wheel with tire, all scratched up and ruined. Trash, really Maybe set it on fire)

So I sanded, and sanded, and smoothed it out. Then I painted, and painted and painted some more. Three coats in all (again). And guess what? It turned out looking very good!
Much better than I thought it did.

(Purty wheel with tire, yes you can have harmony in life!)

And the tires? Well they're Power Kings of course!
Power King Super Traction II 7.50-16 E/10PR BSW -

Look at that pie-crust chonky cut! And thin enough that you can turn the wheel without tearing your arm out of socket too. What more could a boy want?

(Tires - chonky front view, ready to growl, Rarrrr!)

Next up? Not sure. Still want to get that transmission problem fixed. I need to research it more now that she's got some trustworthy new slippers to walk around on. Stay tuned!

Old November 4th, 2022, 10:50 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Series 1000
Bambino is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the posts. Incredibly helpful. Just started fixing up my dad's 1965 GMC 305 myself.
Old November 5th, 2022, 02:15 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks for all the posts. Incredibly helpful. Just started fixing up my dad's 1965 GMC 305 myself.
Welcome to the forum! We'll be looking forward to seeing photos when you're ready to start a new thread here.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old November 25th, 2022, 09:15 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Hey Fetch! Glad to see you still working on Cecilia. Always informative posts!!

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W
Old December 17th, 2022, 03:24 PM

Truck: 1961 K1001 Suburban
Ledslinger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for not giving up on Cecilia. You are quite loyal and your family is lucky to have you.