6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion
#Sponsored

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old August 3rd, 2024, 03:59 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000 305 V6
newyorksong is on a distinguished road
Default After 5 years sitting running again! NEED MUFFLER

Welps after 5 years sitting, I got Squash Blossom running today.
Had poor spark so new coil.
Then rebuilt the Bendix Stromburg WW carb
Then tried to start and solenoid burned up and melted the heavy positive end to battery. Replaced solenoid and she burned again, it was the starter.
Got a new starter on Amazon (much better built and lugs longer too)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSVUWR4...roduct_details

Starter info said 1966-1990 but contacted them and they said yes fits 1965 too. And it went in much easier than the old one!

Started her and she fired right up!

NOW I am having trouble finding a replacement muffler.
Seems to be the engine size 305 V6
Anyone know of a fit?

I'll check the numbers on the existing one that blew completely apart (gotta figure that out too) but last owner welded it on, so gonna get under there with the grinder!
James (August 3rd, 2024)
Old August 3rd, 2024, 04:06 AM

Default Re: After 5 years sitting running again! NEED MUFFLER

Oh and the exhaust pipe size is 2"
And a single exhaust muffler.
The old muffler seems to have about a 2 and 1/4 to 2 and 1/2 in inlets/outlets
Old August 3rd, 2024, 08:16 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksong View Post
Oh and the exhaust pipe size is 2"
And a single exhaust muffler.
The old muffler seems to have about a 2 and 1/4 to 2 and 1/2 in inlets/outlets
Greetings! I don't know if you'd like to try this or not, but here goes. Our old International Harvester dealer in Oshkosh Wisconsin had a GMC Truck equipped with an implement bed for transporting tractors, and they replaced the mufflers (truck was equipped with dual exhaust) with mufflers for a Farmall M/Super M tractor. The truck was not overly loud and had a very nice exhaust note. Just a suggestion, and those mufflers should be available at your local farm supply store, and they aren't very expensive.
Old August 3rd, 2024, 01:34 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty much any muffler shop should be able to replace it for you. I bought a vintage one off Ebay myself. Fit like a glove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 3rd, 2024, 07:51 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Walker 21028 is the correct reproduction muffler
for the OEM exhaust.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...n,muffler,5872
Old August 4th, 2024, 01:39 AM

Thanks guys!
I ordered the
walker Quiet Flow 21028
and a 2" exhaust clamp since both exhaust and muffler in are 2"
Old August 10th, 2024, 02:25 AM

Okie dokie muffler in and working well!
Thought the backfiring was prob the distributor
so after the "Where the heck is the dist hold down bolt"
and THEN after the "oh need special bent wrench" ...used a cutoff 9/16 open end and went in from behind the dist, and ordered the proper wrench)
I got her swinging and rough set it till the engine ran much better.

Ran over to the gas station and filled her up. She starts right up but still backfires on accel. Can't get her up over 40 or so.

So what is next? The carb is a Bendix Stromberg WW
and I think the accelerator pump is sticking a bit in the well.
http://syphan.phpwebhosting.com/pics/stromberg.jpg

Last edited by newyorksong; August 10th, 2024 at 02:30 AM. Reason: image not showing up
Old August 10th, 2024, 02:29 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough

Could have sticky valves - warm the engine up and change oil and filter. A car/truck that has been setting idle for years will have a host of issues when put on the road again. I try to get my cars/trucks out at least twice a year (spring and fall) and if possible during the summer to keep the seals, brakes, and everything else loose and lubed.
Old August 10th, 2024, 03:17 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksong View Post
Okie dokie muffler in and working well!
Thought the backfiring was prob the distributor
so after the "Where the heck is the dist hold down bolt"
and THEN after the "oh need special bent wrench" ...used a cutoff 9/16 open end and went in from behind the dist, and ordered the proper wrench)
I got her swinging and rough set it till the engine ran much better.

Ran over to the gas station and filled her up. She starts right up but still backfires on accel. Can't get her up over 40 or so.

So what is next? The carb is a Bendix Stromberg WW
and I think the accelerator pump is sticking a bit in the well.
http://syphan.phpwebhosting.com/pics/stromberg.jpg
The following is my opinions of what I think it could be and what is needed to be done. I can be completely wrong because I am not there to inspect the engine. This also assume that a proper tune-up was performed (points set, plugs gap inspected, distributor timing set, as well as carburetor adjusted).

Are you saying it backfire (explosion back through the carburetor) or afterfire explosion through the exhaust system. Some people don't know the different, I was just asking.

If it is backfire and you didn't clean out the fuel system of the old gas before you started it. The intake valve could be sticking the the valve guide in the head. I would recommend doing a compression test. If you have a very low reading I would then do a leak down test on the low cylinder(s) to see where the leakage occurring. There is also a possibility of bent intake valve push rods. Pulling the valve covers and doing an inspection of the valve train. With the corresponding valve close the push rod should spin freely by hand. And while you are there check the valve clearances. If it is excessive you might have a bent push rod.

By chance did you notice the smell of the fuel when when you had the carburetor apart? If it smell different than normal, then then fuel is might be causing the problem of sticking intake valves. This had happen to some of our members.

If it is the intake valve sticking. You will need to dump the gas out of the tank and have it cleaned out as well as all of the fuel lines, fuel pump, and carburetor. And just maybe if you squirted some penetrating oil around the valve stems a few times and turn the engine over a few rev, it might unstick the valve(s). Otherwise the heads will have to be removed for repairs.

Last edited by James; August 10th, 2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old August 11th, 2024, 01:20 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

If you've lashed the valves to spec (.012" intake, .018" exhaust) my guess is that the accelerator pump membrane may stick. it is made of leather and doesn't like gas with ethanol in it (caused mine to stick)

Accelerating suddenly without the accelerator pump causes a sudden lean condition with could result in a backfire.

Check if yours works by manually operating the accelerator pump and observe for gas squirting into the carb venturi. Do this when the engine is not running or you might loose some facial hair