6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old October 7th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Truck: 1966 C25
Island66 is on a distinguished road
Default New '66 Owner - In Over My Head?

Hello, everyone!

What a great community here. My name is Brandon and I live on Whidbey Island, Washington. I have wanted an old truck for several years and yesterday my beautiful wife finally relented and let me bring home a 1966 GMC C25. It has a V6 305 with a 4 speed. In the interest of full disclosure, I know next to nothing about vehicle maintenance or restoration. I have never owned a carburated vehicle. I have never owned a vehicle without power steering. I have done oil changes, a couple brake jobs (discs only), and changed the serpentine belt on my wife's Toyota. That is the grand extent to my ability. I can follow directions, but this is new territory for me.

So on to the truck. Here are a few pics from her "better angles".

So much like me, she isn't too bad looking, given enough distance. But there are problems.

She has a leak in the radiator. Not a huge one, but once the truck is hot, it spurts a little from... somewhere. Really hard to tell from where.

There are also other leaks... I have put a photo below of where I think they are coming from (based upon the puddles in my garage). The red circles are where the fluid appears to be coming from.

Apart from the leaks, she probably needs a carb tune / rebuild. Unless I set the choke really high, she will die when I press the accelerator from a stop. With enough choke, I can make that go away, but it brings her idle very high.

And finally, the turn signals are not working. Brake lights are good. I know that troubleshooting will probably require pulling apart the steering column, which is a little intimidating, based upon what I have read.

I am not looking for a show truck. I just would like a decent runner. I only have basic tools, but I also have access to the local base Auto Hobby Shop (I am a Chief in the US Navy), which has lifts and every tool under the sun. I really just need some advice and information. I can follow directions and figure out a diagram.

Once I figure out the mechanical issues, I have a lot of body issues to sort through, until then, I BEG FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New '66 Owner - In Over My Head?

These trucks are fairly simple so it's not a bad place to start mechanicing(is that even a word)?
The hardest part is finding parts... or finding which parts work that are listed for something else entirely.

I would search a little higher up for those leaks. Get it fairly clean and let it run long enough to see where it comes from. The two places you circled still could be leaks but that is likely where it collects on the engine on its way to your driveway.

As far as the carb...they aren't too hard to rebuild. Look for fetchmeapepsi's build. He is in a similar situation as you and is figuring it out with a little hard work and persistence.

The turn signals are hard to find parts for. You might have to go with an aftermarket unit that clamps to the column. Trucks not much older than these came with them so it doesn't really look too out of place.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:30 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Good ole primer job--hiding who knows what. I've found Simple Green and pressure washer help. However, you absolutely need to keep the distributor covered, as it takes many cycles to get the decades of gunk off.
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Welcome Brandon! Hope you enjoy your truck and how's about more photos of interior and engine compartment.
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyduncan View Post
I would search a little higher up for those leaks. Get it fairly clean and let it run long enough to see where it comes from. The two places you circled still could be leaks but that is likely where it collects on the engine on its way to your driveway.
Thanks. That dawned on my last night. I am going to give her a once over in the next day or two and hopefully find a more accurate location.

Quote:
As far as the carb...they aren't too hard to rebuild. Look for fetchmeapepsi's build. He is in a similar situation as you and is figuring it out with a little hard work and persistence.
I've read his build. Great stuff. I need to figure out what carb I have and order a rebuild kit, I guess.

Quote:
The turn signals are hard to find parts for. You might have to go with an aftermarket unit that clamps to the column. Trucks not much older than these came with them so it doesn't really look too out of place.
Interesting. I will have to look more in to that. Thanks for the help!
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDShaffer View Post
Good ole primer job--hiding who knows what.
See pics below. She looks like she came from the rainy Pacific Northwest. I want to get the motor running well, first, but bodywork is definitely coming.
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky61 View Post
Welcome Brandon! Hope you enjoy your truck and how's about more photos of interior and engine compartment.
Here ya go! She's rough. The floors, rocker panels and cab corners are all really bad, too.

As you can see, I've got quite a project!
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:06 AM

And my apologies for the massive photos. I will scale future ones down.
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:48 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site.
I think you'll find this group as helpful, and "know how", as anywhere you look. I'm sure you and Pepsi will get acquainted, and go thru this learning curve together. He sets a good example of guts, determination, and patience, which is the biggest "tools" you need on these old work horses. They are even fun to work on because of their simplicity. Parts is the challenge.

Best wishes with your new addiction. WARNING, there's no cure!!!

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; October 8th, 2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: correction
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:30 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoterun View Post
Welcome to the site.
I think you'll find this group as helpful, and "know how", as anywhere you look. I'm sure you and Pepsi will get acquainted, and go thru this learning curve together. He sets a good example of ignorance, stupidity, and unsafe behavior, which is the biggest "tools" you need on these old work horses. They are even fun to work on because of their simplicity. Parts is the challenge.

Best wishes with your new addiction. WARNING, there's no cure!!!

Haha I fixed that for you Coyote

Welcome to the forum! That's a good looking 66! I wish mine were a white top!

It sounds like you and I are in the same boat mechanically. Thank goodness these trucks are very easy to work on.

You get confidence as you go along. And maybe you break something or do it wrong? It's OK! you can just do it again and do it right because everyone on this forum will chime in and help.
Thats a great looking truck you got there. And with the wife supporting you I'm sure you're going to have a blast! Enjoy every minute

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.