6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Computer / Forum Help

Computer / Forum Help Help using the forum or your cantankerous computer

Old November 11th, 2013, 01:41 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Forum browsing problems

I seem to have a lot of problems getting pages to load and just manuvering around this site in general. I don't seem to have any trouble elsewhere. I am very internet illiterate though, and maybe there is some kind of setting or something I missed?

I guess by todays standards my computer is old, a 7 year old HP Pavillion with Windows XP. I know the powers that be are trying to kill off XP but I have very little trouble on other sites.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forum browsing problems

Dac,

I am unable to replicate your problem, but I think you may be running into our new anti-spam filter. I have sent you a pm.
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:47 AM

Thanks for everything you do Jeannie!

Later---DAC

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:12 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree with DAC. For me it seems to have started a couple months ago. The website down loads just fine most of the time, but browsing around within the forum sometimes goes extremely slow. I notice it the most when using the back button to return to the main page or go from picture to picture within an album. The funny thing is, the problem is intermittent (sp?) maybe 70 percent of the time.
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road

Foley,

We will be actively testing between 5 and 6pm Mountain today. This is a high traffic timeframe. Please submit any problems you experience during that time via PM if you are online.

-Jeannie
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:40 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Hello Club Members!

I guess I can throw in my two cents worth here as well. I'm running an HP Pavillion computer with Windows Vista OS, (Firefox Web Browser) and so far I have had no problems with this site, either viewing, browsing, or posting. You might have an issue with your browser privacy settings interferring (sp?) with your ability to navigate this website. Try a different web browser and see if your problems with this site are fixed. Hope this helps!

Last edited by George Bongert; November 14th, 2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Missed capital letter
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:07 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Like george I dont have any trouble and I post all the time. Thanks jeannie!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:55 PM

I think things may be a little better for me, but I have struggled with slow loads some this evening and got kicked off once too.

Mr. Bongert, I will go try to figure out the privacy settings you spoke of, but I am going to say, I am a computard, and have no idea how to change a browser. I don't understand why it is just this site. I guess Facebook is a little sluggish for me too but seldom go there. All I do is a couple other truck sites, a garden tractor site, emails and craigslist on the computer, maybe look at stuff on ebay now and then. AOL email was giving me a little grief recently too but I went to a different version and it seems real good again.

Thanks for the advice---DAC

Old November 16th, 2013, 01:31 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Greetings Doug!

If you go to your 'options' area of your browser, you should be able to find your privacy settings. Now, each browser will be a little different, but basically the same in principle. Regarding your slow computer response time, have you run any cleanup utilities to purge your computer of junk and temporary files? These files are created every time you go to various websites etc, and there is a lot of nifty free software availble from cnet.com that you can download and install on your computer. Two that I can highly recommend are Glary Utilities, and Eusing Free Registry cleaner. I ran these on my computer, and you will be amazed at how much junk accumulates in your hard drive over time that will slow your computer down. Like you, I too was "computer illiterate" once upon a time, but just by trying new things, I've gotten the hang of it, and in the words of a computer tech who is a friend of mine said that I've gotten pretty computer savvy. Don't let your computer scare you--you really can't do too much to screw it up. Good luck.
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bongert View Post
Greetings Doug!

If you go to your 'options' area of your browser, you should be able to find your privacy settings. Now, each browser will be a little different, but basically the same in principle. Regarding your slow computer response time, have you run any cleanup utilities to purge your computer of junk and temporary files? These files are created every time you go to various websites etc, and there is a lot of nifty free software availble from cnet.com that you can download and install on your computer. Two that I can highly recommend are Glary Utilities, and Eusing Free Registry cleaner. I ran these on my computer, and you will be amazed at how much junk accumulates in your hard drive over time that will slow your computer down. Like you, I too was "computer illiterate" once upon a time, but just by trying new things, I've gotten the hang of it, and in the words of a computer tech who is a friend of mine said that I've gotten pretty computer savvy. Don't let your computer scare you--you really can't do too much to screw it up. Good luck.
Thanks again George, I run an Avast cleanup and virus blocker and do the scans often. It seems the later at night I go on this site, the better it works but I can't stay up too late anymore---LOL! Computers don't scare me a bit, I've got hammers that can fix them for good!

I'll just try to come on a little later in the evening.

Later---DAC