6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old November 13th, 2023, 07:35 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC
OlsonsGaskets is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Main Bearing Cap for V6 engines

I'm looking for a source for the Rear Main Bearing Cap for the V6 305 engine. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Old November 14th, 2023, 03:50 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rear Main Bearing Cap for V6 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlsonsGaskets View Post
I'm looking for a source for the Rear Main Bearing Cap for the V6 305 engine. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Main bearing caps for these engines are not available replacement parts. The only way you could obtain one is to find someone with a V-6 block that is no longer salvageable. And then, after you find your rear main bearing cap, you would have to have your block line bored to match the main cap to your block. Bearing caps are not interchangeable from block to block, due to variables in the original casting and machining processes.
Old November 14th, 2023, 04:22 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Are you with Olsons Gasket Company? If you are and expanding the gaskets line, you might be able to borrow one from someone in the club near by.
Old November 14th, 2023, 05:25 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC
OlsonsGaskets is on a distinguished road

George and James,
Thank you for your responses. Yes I am from the Olson's Gaskets company. I am trying to reproduce rubber rear main seals for this family of engines. In order to do so I actually need 2 rear main bearing caps to move ahead with this project, of which I am happy to purchase. One of these rear main caps will be destroyed (cut in two pieces) by my manufacturer in the process of reverse engineering this seal. The other cap will serve a an unmolested sample.
I am nervous to borrow a cap from someone who needs it in case something gets misplaced in the process.
Finding these in junk blocks would be ideal so that they are not coming from someone who needs it to make a functioning engine.
I am not limited to caps from 305 engines of course they are just the most common, but 351, 379, 401, 432, or 478ci rear main caps would work as well. A V8 637ci rear main cap could also be used.
I think getting a rubber rear main seal reproduced would rear help out folks rebuilding these engines.
Richard
Old November 14th, 2023, 05:30 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your efforts in reproducing the rear main seal
Old November 14th, 2023, 05:40 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Too bad you're in frikkin Washington. I could help with one entire engine and you could reproduce all the seals. People love kits that have every seal you need. It makes for less hunting and more wrenching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 17th, 2023, 07:08 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
George and James,
Thank you for your responses. Yes I am from the Olson's Gaskets company. I am trying to reproduce rubber rear main seals for this family of engines. In order to do so I actually need 2 rear main bearing caps to move ahead with this project, of which I am happy to purchase. One of these rear main caps will be destroyed (cut in two pieces) by my manufacturer in the process of reverse engineering this seal. The other cap will serve a an unmolested sample.
I am nervous to borrow a cap from someone who needs it in case something gets misplaced in the process.
Finding these in junk blocks would be ideal so that they are not coming from someone who needs it to make a functioning engine.
I am not limited to caps from 305 engines of course they are just the most common, but 351, 379, 401, 432, or 478ci rear main caps would work as well. A V8 637ci rear main cap could also be used.
I think getting a rubber rear main seal reproduced would rear help out folks rebuilding these engines.
Richard
That would be great! I wonder why the manufacturer has to cut one into 2 pieces? That poses the biggest problem it seems. Unless someone has a junk block of course.