6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:14 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Distributor Model Number and Removal Questions

I plan on putting a Pertronix Ignitor in my 1964 GMC pickup with a 305E V6 engine to replace points that have been a problem to change and adjust. This requires both knowing the distributor number, to get the correct Ignitor parts, and being able to remove the distributor. As I understand it, two distributors were used on these V6 engines. One with a larger, screw-on rotor and the other with a smaller, push-on rotor. I have the smaller, push-on rotor model.

With the distributor buried at the back of the engine, where it is very hard to work on or remove to find a distributor number, can anyone tell me what the distributor number or Pertronix part number would be?

Also, the firewall on this pickup overhangs the engine above the distributor, so I would like to be sure that I can remove the distributor without pulling the engine forward?

Thank you for any information or advice to help with this project.

jrmunn
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Distributor Model Number and Removal Questions

JR --

You don't have to remove the distributor to install a Pertronix unit. Installation is simple and should take no more than a half hour. I've always ordered mine from Retrorockets. The one you want is model 1162A.

See: http://vintageperformance.com/retror...mc%20truck.htm
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

Ed,

Thank you for sharing your experience and parts source! I am glad to hear that installing the Ignitor is not difficult. But, in my case, I can't seem to even open and close the hood in 1/2 hour.

I do have a follow-up question. About six months ago, I replaced the coil, cap, rotor, points, ignition wires, and plugs. Will all of this (except the points) work with a Pertronix Ignitor? In particular, I would like to know before I start whether I need a different coil. I have also seen some mention of a resistance wire between the ignition switch and the coil, but don't know if this would apply, or make a difference, to my pickup.

And what do you use for plugs? I had a set of unused plugs that was purchased years ago, but it seems that these plugs aren't available any more.

Thank you again for the help!

JRMunn
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:54 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

JR --

All your recently installed parts will work fine. I've used the Pertronix upgrade coil, but the stock coil should be satisfactory.

You should replace the resistor wire with normal wire.

I don't remember which spark plugs I've used. I'm not near my trucks right now. I'm sure someone else here on the forum can chime in.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
JR --

All your recently installed parts will work fine. I've used the Pertronix upgrade coil, but the stock coil should be satisfactory.

You should replace the resistor wire with normal wire.

I don't remember which spark plugs I've used. I'm not near my trucks right now. I'm sure someone else here on the forum can chime in.
Yeah and save that resistor wire. Someone will want it (me if no one else!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:03 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road

I replace the coil. I was told that this must be done. I guess it depends who you ask, but that was the recommendation from the manufacturer. I did not want to take a chance. My 1965 305E is running fine with it. History: When I took it to Alaska from central California in 2008 I had to replace the points several times. I really had trouble finding a spare condenser. This electronic solution sure seems to make a lot of sense.