6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 28th, 2018, 08:33 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 305V6 fleetside truck
ronn is on a distinguished road
Default Hauler interest?

Help!

My truck is currently in Silwell, OK, and needing to get it to Bishop, CA. (Be nice if it could happen before too much weather impedes). I'm not getting much traction from hauling companies, prob because vehicle isn't running and no brakes (It has no gas tank and no brakes so needs a winch to pull up onto hauler).

Anyone traveling that route or wants to, and has a winch with thieir hauler give me a shout and lets talk!
Old November 29th, 2018, 02:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hauler interest?

No gas tank and no brakes are a pretty big deal. Is it with family or from a seller?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 30th, 2018, 01:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

It is within the family from it's original purchase until now, sort of..., it is housed at a tow yard right now due to circumstances beyond my control. Awaiting a hauler to agree to bring it
Old November 30th, 2018, 04:33 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
It is within the family from it's original purchase until now, sort of..., it is housed at a tow yard right now due to circumstances beyond my control. Awaiting a hauler to agree to bring it
Dang it, that baby deserves better than a tow yard. How long since the engine has been running? WIll they let you get to it to maybe slap a tank and jigger the brakes up? The brakes on these are soooo simple that unless they broke them and removed them they should still work without much.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; November 30th, 2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old November 30th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

ronn, I know I'm being paranoid. But things happen. If I were you I would expedite the shipping. I could give you a scary list of things that can happen, in this circumstance, 1600 miles away, to a truck in a tow yard. Storage or release fees, stolen, stolen parts, damage, "can't find it", ownership arguments ("uncle Johnny promised it to me"), selling the tow yard to another, not nice, person. Confiscation. No access for a hauler to line up a winch, someone changes their mind, flat tires no one will fix for you. Brakes shoes frozen/rusted locked............ Get it home. I've had worse things happen than are on my list.
I'm sure everything will be all right, just want you to be aware and to encourage you to not mess around with $100 here or there on shipping. Pick a good shipper.

Last edited by AZKen; November 30th, 2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old November 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Hauler interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
ronn, I know I'm being paranoid. But things happen. If I were you I would expedite the shipping.
You're not being paranoid. Bad things can definitely happen. I've had my share of them as well. Trying to save a few hundred on shipping could be false economy if something expensive happens to the truck while waiting for the perfect carrier. Best to rely on a carrier with a good reputation and good insurance. Make sure you have it insured in your name too, even if you don't have possession of it yet.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old November 30th, 2018, 07:32 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Ed, check this out:
I went cheapo on a truck ship. Didn't use my regular guy. Found a guy on craigslist in Grass Valley, Ca. Had a diesel truck and a trailer. Bringing it to Phoenix for me. Had a nice looking truck & trailer and had him send me a pix if his drivers license. Everything good.

Calls me and says he can't make it up a hill near, I think, Bakersfield, Ca., overheating or whatever.... turned around, went back down the hill and says he needs to drop it off at a mall parking lot and go home. Think about that for a moment! I know no one there, I can't do anything. I said I'll get back to you, give me some time. Got off the phone, shaking, hardly could tell my wife what just happened. I couldn't think straight. I can't get mad at him or he will go home. This was a worse panic than when I got lost hunting Deer on the North rim of the Grand Canyon (Kiabab). On HORSEBACK no less! Deep snow.

Anyway........

So I called my shipper guy, who said call his shipper buddy in Fresno. The guy who answered was an angel from heaven. He said he has a worker who lives in Bakersfield and tell the guy to take it to his house and off load on the street and the worker will move it into his yard when he gets home. Then they will take it to Fresno for ship to Phoenix. Called the creep back and he did that. Eventually got it here using my new and old shipper friends.

The fellow kept emailing me that he lost money. I had not paid him anything. I asked him if he knew what stress he put me in. Told him I had to pay more to TWO OTHER shippers involved. He said he was trying to just recoupe and had two kids and so on. My conscience got to me and I mailed him $200.
The bed of the truck had almost fallen off when he went up the hill and he did strap it down after the CHP pulled him over. No one knew the bed was not bolted. I now realize I should not have told this story because I'm shaking again and this was 4 years ago.

Last edited by AZKen; November 30th, 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old December 1st, 2018, 02:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Alright, halloween is pasr, no need to scare me. !
I got a call Friday at 3pm and a shipper contracted with me and i will have the truck thursday night/friday morning! The company has a 97.9 customer rating, established hauler and supported by broker. Insured, bonded and i am satisfied!

As to other worries, yeah, it could happen but i am counting on good people still existing in the world like i have found here on this thread! Thanks so much for your worries/concerns and suggestions, i will post pics on build thread of its arrival thursd/friday.