6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old June 8th, 2016, 02:01 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project "Honor your Father" - Ultra quick boat project (I hope)

I quess that is why they say, the 2 best boating days, are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
If it will make you feel any better, I need to pull the powere head off of my 115 Johnson because water is pumping out thu the seal.
Glad to here your Dad is feeling better.
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:06 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I quess that is why they say, the 2 best boating days, are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
If it will make you feel any better, I need to pull the powere head off of my 115 Johnson because water is pumping out thu the seal.
Glad to here your Dad is feeling better.

Haha, that's for sure! I'm more upset about my dad moving back 4-6 hours & change away than I am about the motor, but it is what it is on both counts. I got ahead of myself thinking I'd get this boat and "lure" him into wanting to hang out and do stuff like back in the old days. Maybe we're both different people now or something. IDK. Anyway, he's back doing the same thing he did before the heart attack and neither one of us are getting any younger. I can't help but think that we're both missing out.

/end whining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 10th, 2016, 12:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Got the powerhead off yesterday, got alot of the electronics off today> When taking the flywheel off this silly piston popped out altogether.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Here's a pic of the head with little aluminum bits on it.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

And a pic of the inside after the piston fell out. Surprisingly, the only serious scarring seems to be a 1/4" scratch right on the bottom right where you see the pieces hitting in this pic.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Man I'm learning a TON of stuff on this boat motor (2 stroke) that will crossover to Cecilia when the time comes. I've got all the extraneous stuff off now including the oil injection, carbs, and electronics. I hope I can get it all back together

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the oil seals off each end so I can finally break open the case. I've got a new piston on standby. I will need to order new rings and a wrist pin too (I think). Heck, even knowing what a wrist pin is makes a big step forward!

Old June 14th, 2016, 08:57 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Got all the end caps off and now I'm sitting on a case that is stuck together. Heard I'm going to have to bang it apart with a block of wood and a hammer. Hope I don't break anything.

Also, a super helpful "little bird" told me that I possibly had an air leak in my engine and that caused it to run lean, making it break up the piston. Better put all new gaskets in I guess!

I'll update when I get the case broke open and let you guys know how it's going.

Old June 16th, 2016, 12:01 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I got my crankcase apart! There were four more bolts I was missing. Luckily I didn't bang on the case with anyting more than a piece of wood. Tada! So satisfying.

I was out of time today, but here's the plan right now. Clean up the intake with Carb Cleaner and get all those little flecks of metal out. Then take the two bolts off the piston thingy and push the rod and all up through the piston hole. Then clean it all up with carb cleaner. Then find out if it's scarred on the inside. If not too bad, throw my new piston in it and start putting her back together.

Final step: Take these kids fishin!

Old June 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I don't think anyone's watching this but me and Bob, but I'll post this anyway. I got my crank out today and that let me see down in the cylinders better. They're not perfect, but I think they'd work OK.

First, the exhaust port for the piston (ask me how I figured that one out haha) is a little wallered out. That might be OK, I don't know. It's got a larger opening instead of just a little divit at the top. Here's a good piston hole:

And the bad one:

If that's OK, then there's one final uh-oh. After spraying carb cleaner all over the place (and my face, and my um...longstepper? - you do NOT want that! DON'T STAND IN FRONT OF THE EXHAUST WHILE YOU DO THIS!) I discovered one tiny flaw...

Is this a deal killer or can I have it welded or does it really even matter since it's just the weight area on the crank? JB Weld?

Old June 17th, 2016, 05:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well, Fetch. That's quite a hole you have there. Good news is any machine shop can patch that hole with a TIG welder and boom, you're back in business.

(I just found this out today. Dropped him off and $50.00 & three days later I'll be putting him back together again)

Old July 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Three days turned into three weeks. My machinist was backed up and he's a perfectionist so he put it on a machine to get it ground down right and blah blah blah. I just dropped off the bolts for the intake so he could bolt it to a machine to bore it out. It should be ready to go in about 2 hours. If so, I'll start putting him back together tomorrow. While I waited I put the entire fuse box (minus the fuses) in a bag of CLR to dissolve some of the corrosion. It worked great. 24 hours later my fusebox was clean and ready to go. I might do this with Cecilia's box when I get around to it.

That solved a lot of my electrical problems. I did have to re-wire the front depth finder, but that's not a big deal.

And that's it for the update. I don't have pics (boo!!) but once the motor's back I hope I can remember how to get it back together. The kids are dying to go fishing.

Final thought: It's funny, I bought this thing that I didn't want to hang out with my father, who decided he didn't want to hang out after all. I ended up enjoying the heck out of it, using it as a project (even if I didn't mean to) with my kids, and giving them some of the most enjoyable memories of their young lives. Life is beautiful, even when it isn't.

Old July 20th, 2016, 03:00 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Finally got my block back and it had aluminum mashed into the cylinder sleeve. So I guess I'll be re-sleeving it. Now I need to find a place that sells sleeves pretty cheap.