6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old March 1st, 2021, 10:51 AM

Truck: GMC 1500 1965
GMCTom will become famous soon enoughGMCTom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

Quote:
I ordered a new waterneck (75 Pontiac TransAm) because the old one was a modified from a Chevy small block. Let's see if it fits.
The waterneck of the 75 Pontiac TransAm fits together with the holes. Only problem is, that you can't use the heat sensor.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old March 1st, 2021, 01:15 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

GMCTom, Great work you've done so far! Great info as well regarding the clutch etc. No other modifications to the engine other than replacing the timing chain?
Old March 1st, 2021, 02:23 PM

Thank you

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I changed the timing chain and toghether with a friend we do a valve job. One exhaust valve was broken and doesn't close completely. Cleaned the coolant holes and finished the surfaces of the block and heads and used new gaskets. Heads were ice blasted.
I also installed an original mechanical fuel pump (the pre owner used an electrical) and new fuel lines.
Old March 6th, 2021, 04:04 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful work GMCTom and your engine sounds great!
Old March 25th, 2021, 09:10 AM

Little update but with not so good news.

The original radiator is leaking. Temporarily I bought a used one from a 1966 Chevy C10. It seems to be ok. The dark spot on the front of the radiator is only dirt. The original one I will send to a shop for repairing.

Now the bigger problem. Between the left cylinder head and the block it's leaking a little bit coolant. I think I have to grind the heads. Maybe anyone else had an advice or already had the problem itself?
Old July 27th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Hope everybody is fine

Now some time has passed and I still spent time on my other project a Dodge WC51. But work on the GMC continues anyway.

All Body parts are blasted and primed. Some parts are also body filled and sanded. I do it all myself. Sanding for hours is a bit like meditation

Two parts are completely finished with paint. I do this with a friend in his wood workshop. I like painting with the gun. When the parts are painted, the project feels almost finished and you know what all the hard work is for. I didn't like the first attempt with the baby blue but the second one is perfect. It's harbor blue from Ford

I also chrome plated the painted grille.

Next step is to prime the cab. Maybe I'll be able to put the cab on the frame this summer.

Last edited by GMCTom; July 27th, 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:57 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

Very nice Tom, it is time for an update friend. I know you have been working hard on this truck lately. You need to show off your very good work. All I can say is wow!

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump
Old March 27th, 2022, 07:22 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Very nice Tom, it is time for an update friend. I know you have been working hard on this truck lately. You need to show off your very good work. All I can say is wow!
I agree! we can surely use an update!
Old March 28th, 2022, 04:26 PM

OK, update time

It's been a little bit stressful lately but i've been working on the GMC every free minute. I'm a bit behind my plans but in April, at the latest in May I want to put the cab on the frame.

Let's start with the paint. Tailgate, fenders and the frontmask were painted in Ford Harbor Blue. First try wasn't successful (orange skin) but the second one is OK. I will polish all parts after mounting.

Testing the chrome plated frontmask with the color

I like the blue color to the red engine

Started with the cab in August. First some epoxy primer. 2 layers. Then some filler work on the roof, rockers and the back. Steve thinks the cab is in good condition. He knows worse ones. Put some underbody protection on the cab. Only in a few places.

After that I started with the third layer EP. Then sanding the roof. Ready for paint (Ford Wimbledon White).

Painting the underbody blue. And here one question, Steve and I are still guessing: is this a low or a high hump? The truck has three on a tree, but we welded the hump in that was laying in the cab

And finally get back the GMC logo newly chromed

Next steps: sanding inside the cab. Paint it with Nissan beige met (EV0) and after that paint the rest of the cab blue.

Last edited by GMCTom; March 29th, 2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old March 28th, 2022, 05:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure that's a high hump. Someone will beat me with a stick if i'm wrong, but the low hump barely has any hump to it if I remember right.
Nice update! That color looks shaaarrrppp!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.