6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old February 12th, 2019, 01:06 AM

Truck: 1961 Stepside-305 V6
GTS61 is on a distinguished road
Default Excited wire

I installed a new alternator and I see the brown wire under my dash but it looks like it doesn’t go to the ignition switch. Can I cut the wire and and have it go to my ignition switch and also go to where ever it goes after that. Like a Y wire fitting?

Thanks
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:14 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Excited wire

Can't safely advise you by using wire colors. PO's change colors or repurpose a wire. Wire per function. If the colors turn out right, good. Wire the alternator according to what type you want. 3 wire? In other words just tell us what you want to do. You must know exactly where a wire goes if you are wanting to attach it or attach to it.
Hard to know what you are doing but the wire to the ignition should have a 12V bulb or some resistance in line to act as an "exciter".

Last edited by AZKen; February 12th, 2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Yes it’s a 3 wire. I switched from generator to alternator and I am having a hard time finding the exciter wire. I traced the only wire I had left after removing the external regulator and it goes into the bulkhead and then under the dash but I lost it above the steering column. I don’t have a light but I have a volt gauge. I’ll just have to find other end of wire and make it easier than guessing. I did run an outside wire from #1 on alternator to my ignition switch and it ran great the volts were over 14 but truck wouldn’t shut off so I choked it. Would need a diode installed. Thanks for replying!!
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:43 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Alternator terminal 2 goes to the big honkin battery stud on the alternator (that's the sensing wire). Terminal no. 1 to an idiot light, out of the light to ignition "on". This provides necessary resistance and glows if you are not charging properly. (This is the exciter wire).
The indicator bulb is easy to do and nice to have a light to warn you.

A motor that keeps running can also mean you have the coil wired to hot, on the ignition switch, instead of "on".

You say you are looking for the exciter wire? You mean from the old generator? I don't know what wire would be the "exciter wire" for that. The internet has diagrams on how to convert gen to alt and what to do with each wire. I would just hook up alt as I describe. It's just a matter of a sizable cable to the alt pos stud, terminal 2 to that stud, then just one more wire from terminal 1 thru a bulb to ignition "on", or thru a device you think better, to ignition "on".

Last edited by AZKen; February 12th, 2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old February 13th, 2019, 12:04 AM

Well thank you Ken. What did you mean to hot on the coil?
Old February 13th, 2019, 09:39 PM

The coil has a hot (positive)(+) connection. This is supposed to be connected to the ignition switch. It is supposed to be from an ignition swich terminal usually called "ON" or "RUN" position. The ignition switch also has a battery feed (hot)(positive) marked B or Bat. If someone attaches the coil wire to the B or Bat, the motor will start and not stop. You will think you are turning the motor (coil) on and off, but it's really always on. The coil will be energized all the time. Turning the coil off is what stops a motor. I was mentioning that a motor, that won't stop, could have this mis-wire problem. Just something for you to check if it won't shut off. Any other wire/feedback that keeps coil energized (hot) all the time will not allow motor to shut off.
The is another circuit involved with the coil to protect the points, if you have points. 6066 uses a long resistance wire. I use a ballast resistor on mine. The idea is called "bypass". Full battery power to coil to start the motor than reduced voltage to coil/points. Maybe you did something during alternator install, or unknown wire hook up, that is causing the run on.

Last edited by AZKen; February 13th, 2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:34 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Probably what happen when you connect the alternator wire to the ignition switch, you connected it to the run circuit and not the ACC circuit. If this happen the power from the alternator is bypassing the ignition switch and feeding the ignition system directly.

From the information I have and not knowing exactly what alternator your installing:

Your brown wire (that came off of the old regulator) should go to the generator light. You can test this with the ignition in the run position, with the help of an assistance, by momentary grounding (for less than a second) the wire, this will make the GEN light flash on. This wire should connect to terminal 4 on the new regulator. Provided the light had works properly with the generator, otherwise you may have other issue.

The red wire (that came off the old regulator) should go to terminal 3 on the new regulator.

The 2 terminal on the new regulator should go to the R terminal on the alternator.

The F terminal on the new regulator should go to the F terminal on the alternator.

If you are installing something larger than a 35 amp alternator then some of your wires will not be big enough gauge to carry the current. The charging system wiring will then need to be updated.
Old February 14th, 2019, 02:25 AM

New regulator? What new regulator? I think I'm getting confused. R terminal-F terminal? Is the new alternator marked like that? Maybe you are discussing what to do with the old regulator wires and the old voltage regulator connector?

My suggestion:
Rip the old out and throw it all away. Wire the alternator as I described. That is a 3 wire hook up. Only 2 wires leave the alternator. The positive from battery and the no. 1 to a bulb then to ignition "on". Third wire: a jumper from 2 to the battery stud. That's it. Those are the three wires. If you don't have a bulb inline and/or you don't wire to ign "ON", it will probably stay running.

GTS61: you are supposed to have a gen light on your cluster. What's up wit dat? No lamp? no ammeter? just a voltmeter? An aftermarket voltmeter? mounted under dash? Must be working if you see 14V.

You can run a voltmeter and an indicator light. This would be a good idea.

Last edited by AZKen; February 14th, 2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:36 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

For more information please check out Jolly's page at:
http://6066gmcguy.com/charging.html
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:17 PM

That page needs work. Updating, correcting, downsizing and clarifying.....or elimination.
James: You did not answer my questions so I can understand what you said.