6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old October 28th, 2014, 03:00 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMCDAC's GMCs

Quote:
Great artwork Dac! Where does the tissue thing mount in the 55? Under the dash?
Man I wish I knew you did vinyl work sooner. I have a PDF to send you that might be handy for when you get a 60-66 again.
Hey Fetch, thank-you. Yeah it mounts under dash with that bracket on the left top. That bracket has a pivot that allows the housing to be swung out when a tissue is needed or a new box needs to be put in it. If I have any luck, which I seem to have a shortage of lately, I will get pics of it installed this weekend. Soon as I can move the '72 out of here I have to clean the shop up and bring my daughters '95 Toyota in and put a timing belt and water pump in it. She is going to Colorado with my wife Thursday 'till Sunday so it has to happen now while she don't need the car! I hate working on imports, but the car was free so have to be thankful for that, and just help her take care of it until she can afford something better. Heck of a way to spend a week of vacation from work.

Anyway I got to babbling! If you would like to send that .pdf that would be too cool! I don't care if it is something I need now or not, especially GMC oriented anything! Maybe I could help someone else. I don't have a digital printer. I do this stuff with a 23 year old vinyl cutter. Probably one of the last American made ones. 2 layers of vinyl to make what I posted. I'm pretty sure I mentioned somewhere on this forum that to make the bowtie hubcaps on the '72 appear to be GMC that the same thing was done to them. Chevy ones were all I could afford to buy, and no GMC ones found locally at all, for 16" rims.

I think you have my email, when you sent me the info about Velocity channel.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:14 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have it or I'm too dumb to find it. Can you pm me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Dang my memory sucks. Maybe it was pm's, not emails. I'll send it to you in a PM shortly.

DAC

Old October 28th, 2014, 10:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

I think you have my email, when you sent me the info about Velocity channel.

DAC[/QUOTE]

Speaking of the Velocity Channel, for all you out there who have access to it, be sure and watch (and/or record) the two hour special on "*******' Rides" tonight. They're restoring a Futurliner. If you don't know what a Futurliner is, see

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Looks like Yahoo turned the proper name of the show into *******! Oh well, I tried.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:47 AM

HA, thanks for trying and the link, Ed! Sometimes these censors are kinda irritating but it seems they are a necessary evil! Don't know the show as we can't get Velocity here even if we were able to buy another worthless cable bundle with a couple hundred stations that we don't want, just to get one!

Fetch was trying to help me stream the Velocity show "Americarna" on the computer as I would love to watch it. My antique computer won't allow me to get it done unfortunately.

A couple years ago there was an un-restored Futureliner for sale for for less than a half a million if I remember correctly. Wonder if it was that one. I don't know if anyone here cares that they were actually a GMC designed by Harley Earl. They were built to represent all GM makes. Anyway, that would be a fun show to see also!

The '72 ran on it's own this afternoon and was able to go out and see the light of day for the first time since the end of May, and I was able to clean up the work bay some. There's still some tuning and new mufflers to do but it seems to run real well. There was a lot of doubts since this was a super tight budget but MAYBE all the work paid off ok.

Yeah it's a small block but please understand that we traded my wife's first car (which I bought her for a High School grad present) in on this truck. I bought the car, a '66 Plymouth Valient, 2 door post from the same Uncle that gave us that big ol' camper recently! We traded the car (plus $2400 bucks I think) for this truck in 1979. Ahh, more boring history. Here's a couple pics from today.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2500 valve issues running.jpg (2.31 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg C2500 valve issues finally sees outside.jpg (3.92 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)

Old October 30th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

Thanks Doug for posting the history and pictures and your experiences that's what makes this forum #1 to me and I'm sure others feel the same way here....Vernski

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old October 30th, 2014, 06:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks Doug for posting the history and pictures and your experiences that's what makes this forum #1 to me and I'm sure others feel the same way here....Vernski

I too agree, Vernski. I always enjoy reading about other members and their truck histories.

Doug -- what's the status of your '70 Jimmy? I've told you a little bit before about the '72 Jimmy I used to own. One of my memories is of driving it from St. Louis to Idaho Falls, Idaho, in 1976 for a job change. I flat-towed a '71 Toyota Corolla behind it and had to juggle the steering wheel back and forth the whole way to keep everything in line. I'm sure the short wheelbases of both vehicles and the short tow bar didn't help. The Corolla was a cool little car -- two door coupe with A/C, four speed, and a little hemi-head four under the hood. For some reason, out of the 60 or so vehicles we've owned, it was the only one we ever gave a name to -- Roscoe.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:

You are welcome, Vernski, and thank-you for your supporting comments! This forum is most definitely my favorite also. It is so nice to go somewhere that talks GMC that is an up to date style forum! Thanks Jeannie!

Quote:
I too agree, Vernski. I always enjoy reading about other members and their truck histories.

Doug -- what's the status of your '70 Jimmy? I've told you a little bit before about the '72 Jimmy I used to own. One of my memories is of driving it from St. Louis to Idaho Falls, Idaho, in 1976 for a job change. I flat-towed a '71 Toyota Corolla behind it and had to juggle the steering wheel back and forth the whole way to keep everything in line. I'm sure the short wheelbases of both vehicles and the short tow bar didn't help. The Corolla was a cool little car -- two door coupe with A/C, four speed, and a little hemi-head four under the hood. For some reason, out of the 60 or so vehicles we've owned, it was the only one we ever gave a name to -- Roscoe.
Thank-you so much also, Ed! These comments mean a lot to me. I can't remember If I missed pics of your Jimmy or not, but I would dig seeing it. The Corolla probably was a great commuter and I have heard that they had pretty darn good power with the little hemi! Mom ended up with the Jimmy when it was less than a year old for reasons you are describing about towing. A person bought it new to pull a camper and when he was urged not to use a short wheel-base vehicle for such a purpose, he put it up for sale. Fortunately Mom worked at the same department at Ellsworth A.F.B. as this guy and did what it took to buy it! She had no plans to tow with it and I don't either.

I did not get to work on the Jimmy this summer at all due to this project trying to get the '72 running well again, and minor issues with the wife and kids rides here and there too. Hopefully a lot of hours can be spent on it this winter after the last two chores on kids rides.

DAC

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:54 AM

Hi everyone, got all of the needed summer work on the daughter's Camry done tonite, had to order an upper engine mount last Friday and was able to pick it up today and put it in when she got home from work. Pulled the '55 in and hung the tissue dispenser.

I know, it is in need of a polish and CLR on the chrome along with a paint job but that will be a good project for a cold winter day which will be here soon enough. Oh yeah buying a box of kleenex for it may be a good idea too! I go on-call at work tomorrow so I can't spend much time in the shop for a week.

Looks like it will still be useable with the cup holder I built for the drives when my wife is riding along---or driving! Pictures bring out that I have slopped coffee all over it. Guess I better go clean the windows since it has set outside for a long time and maybe wipe off the cup holder too---LOL!. I just want to remind anyone interested that this truck is my 80% daily driver so it shows it. The other 20% is a 1991 GMC Sonoma right now.

Next project I have to finish for it is windshield washers which I started building before I got on the '72 last summer.

Also waiting for a carb kit that should be here Friday for the '72. That Q-jet has a vaccum leak on the drivers side primary barrel. Gonna rebuild the Holley 4160 that was flooding I had on it when I tore the upper end off the engine a few months ago.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tissue holder 010.jpg (2.47 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg Tissue holder 011.jpg (2.79 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg Tissue holder 012.jpg (1.98 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg Tissue holder 013.jpg (2.52 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg Tissue holder 014.jpg (2.05 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

Old November 15th, 2014, 02:44 AM

Hello Folks, I learned a little about tissue boxes this week. Did y'all notice 4 or 5 years ago rolls of toilet paper suddenly got about an inch narrower? And the price didn't go down, buy the way---Anyway I bought a box of kleenex for the '55 and them boxes must be about an inch shorter from when these tissue dispensers were designed too! They don't fit worth a darn, but there ain't much can be done about corporate greed I guess.

Got it in there but it may fall out at any time:-(=

I stated a few times earlier in this thread that there would be more posts about the trials we went through to get the '55 on the road. Here goes an attempt and I hope it will be informative.

Mom passed away in 2009 and I found it too hard to work on her Jimmy so I was moping around work with no truck project. A co-worker showed up at with this '55 GMC that came out of a field on a relative's property a couple months after she died. It was gonna get scrapped or given to me he said. I could not let scrapping happen so it was time to figure out how to make this truck run just for the fun of it and not worry a whole lot about making everything perfect. Right away I decided that an old ugly truck is fine, I just wanted it to run well, and stop well for now and not spend a bunch of money that I would need for the Jimmy.

It had no title but the co-worker assured me that they would get one. This was August, 2009.

Here's more pics from the day I got it, non-running, destroyed radiator, exhaust manifold, and just not looking like much potential.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108_0193.jpg (535.5 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0194.jpg (711.2 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0195.jpg (655.5 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0196.jpg (621.1 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0197.jpg (531.2 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0198.jpg (527.3 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0199.jpg (624.6 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0200.jpg (268.6 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0201.jpg (416.1 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 108_0205.jpg (704.3 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)