6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old April 10th, 2014, 06:23 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #6 not firing with eBay HEI, any ideas?

Don't forget to lubricate the rubbing block/breaker cam or the points won't stay in adjustment as long.
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:45 AM

Truck: 1969 305E V-6 C2500 Wideside
1969_CM2590D is on a distinguished road

Well the suspense is over. I ordered new condenser, points, and plug wires from Rock Auto Wednesday. Came yesterday and installed today. I have a new HEI with a new set of Magnacores in the house. I still have to fiddle with the dwell, etc, but the truck runs 1000% better. But then it should- since it now fires on six cylinders instead of five.

So why did I go low-tech? The biggest reason was frustration. I've been fiddling with the truck for over three months and piddled and piddled. Time to get the engine running right and move on to other issues on it. I did buy it to drive But also after reading Barry's initial post, I did some research and some thinking. Barry makes a lot of sense.

And I agree, I like simplicity- it's a virtue.

FWIW, I think the new HEI was fine, I expect I had a faulty wire to #6, since I got spark on five cylinders. But I've not bothered to test it anymore for the time being. I like sixes anyway, so this rig may get corrected and put in a Corvair, Pontiac OHC, GMC 302, or even a 292. Have to see if I can make it fit. I will say that physically, I found the eBay dizzy and the Magnecores to be clumsy in my truck. The HEI with it's coil on top was a tight fit in the firewall cove of my truck- there's not a lot of ways to get it in and turn it. With that, the wires could have used a few more inches, as they were close to being stretched when installed. There is so much more working room and slack with the original Delco-Remy and the noticeably longer Rock Auto wires.

HEI makes a lot of sense in the passenger car engines of the '60's and later. They rev higher, emissions and mileage weren't a concern- most weren't originally designed to run on lower compression ratios and no lead gas. So a surer, stronger spark was needed. The points and condenser wouldn't be able to keep up, especially above, say 4000 RPM as ignition quality degrades at those speeds with old-timey ignition.

The V-6, however is not that sort of engine. As a lugger, it winds out to top end at an engine speed my company minivan gets to for a slightly quick freeway entry. With a top end of 34-3800 RPM, the degradation of the ignition quality with points is negligible at worst. There's also that low compression which makes one wonder if it will burn anything this side of kerosene with some massaging. The thing was designed at the outset to run lean and on not the best fuel. Now, if I were running a '69 C20 with a 350 or 396, I'd definitely be looking at HEI.

I'm not totally against switching from points. I run a German Bosch 009 with Compufire in the '64 Karmann Ghia. It's quite nice and maintenance free (and I keep a set of points in the glovebox!). It works wonderfully with the 40 HP 1200 motor. I'm glad I did it.

The HEI has its advantages in any vehicle. Instantaneous starting. No maintenance- just check the timing when you change plugs. With a carb and points you have to bump the key a time or few- and a bit of fussing with a tune up.

I conclude that if your old dizzy is toast, go for HEI in a V6. A new old style one ain't cheap- like $250 at NAPA. If you throw in a new set of wires, you are mighty close to the custom eBay HEI.

1969 GMC CM2500
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
1964 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

It's good to hear its running better. Get it on the road that's the fun part. Barry
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you reached that "AaHaaa" moment. It feels good to finally hear a "problem child" running good again.

Petronix: We started using them when they first came out years ago on the farm irrigation wells. What a big improvement. Simple to convert, less adjustments, hotter spark, longer life, and affordable enough to keep a spare.
I still use them in the V12s I restore.

Easy to re-install the points and condenser we kept in our tool box, just in case, one did quit in the middle of the night.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of them, had great service using them, so am biased.
Enjoy your truck, regardless of what you use.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:25 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Cayoterun -- Pertronix is the way to go. I've had bad modules in GM HEIs leave me stranded more than once. I've installed Pertronix in at least four different GMC V6s so far, and have never had one fail. But since anything electronic can eventually fail, it would be interesting to see failure rate statistics comparing the HEI to Pertronix ignition.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435