6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old March 29th, 2014, 01:26 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road
Default 1961 GMC Shocked When Bracket Broken

If I don't start with a photo either it never happened or I can expect convincing words: Photo 1 is the truck.

A week ago all it's parts are enjoying the low speed ride. Then left front shock says, "Clang, bang, and #%@&!!!". I take a look. Then I say, "#%@&!!!". A couple of retraced city blocks over the same ice ridges and pot hole crevasses gets us back to the shade tree garage. Restoring my language to perhaps 30% English words, I wrench (9/16 inch) a little.

Photo 2 is shock bracket parts. Photo 3 is broken bracket: small top brother seems to be not getting along with bigger bottom brother. I pick each up by the scruff of the neck and march them to the basement work shop. It's about the same temperature as the shade tree garage but has less wind and better light (after sunset). I grind a little. I'm fairly good at clamping pieces that look rectangular. These guys don't so I get out the wire, some bolts, a few nails and convince the irregular brothers to get in line. If you look closely (or shut your eyes and imagine) that's what you see in Photo 4. The vise is to remind them to get along for a while.

Photo 5 indicates brothers bonding: not exactly dimes in a row, but they are brothers and, being one myself, I don't expect neatness.

1961 GMC K1500 is one tough truck. 478 V6, tough in it's own right at 900 lbs., is a later addition. Springs and other suspension parts are in good, original shape. I have a hunch engine weight, ice ridges, and pot hole crevasses are contributors to the shock absorber bracket's attempt to subdivide. (To bracket's credit, it's brotherly parts have stayed quite bonded for 40,000 miles.)

First question: is 1961 GMC K1500 still under warranty? (OK, you don't have to waste time answering that, I just need to laugh at myself a bit.)

Real first question: is a broken front shock absorber bracket a common enough occurrence that I should think about stronger brackets? If so, do the
bigger 1960-1966 GMC trucks have stronger brackets than stock 3/4 ton four wheel drive trucks have? If so, any one have a couple for sale?

Thanks for putting up with a long three questions and thanks in advance for your experience.

Regards and I'm hoping other shade tree garages now also feel less like winter,

Culver Adams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc05483-R.jpg (214.8 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05479-R.jpg (598.9 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05497-R.jpg (235.0 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05500-R.jpg (296.7 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05505-R.jpg (262.8 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:39 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1961 GMC Shocked When Bracket Broken

I can't answer the question but I sure liked reading it! Thanks for the belly-laugh

I will say thats the first time Ive heard of someone busting a shock mount but then again i never knew anyone with a 478

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 29th, 2014, 03:27 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Great looking truck and wonderful condition for the snow country! I'm sure getting tired of it, April 4th will be 6 months of winter here.

The only help I can give is maybe beefing up your bracket with some strap or adding another bracket similar to this one on my '70 K5 Jimmy?

Sure would like to see more pics of your truck, sorry if I missed any before this if you already have. Entertaining read also!

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jimmy LF shock mount 002.jpg (876.8 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I can't answer the question but I sure liked reading it! Thanks for the belly-laugh

I will say thats the first time Ive heard of someone busting a shock mount but then again i never knew anyone with a 478
Hi Fetch,

Thanks for the good words. You can find a lot of gals, guys, youngsters, and oldsters who can fix these wonderful critters. When you need someone good at breaking stuff, I'm your guy ;=)

The only reason I have a 478 is because I bought a couple of 1950s Chevy I6s and other Chevy AD parts from a guy who got passionate about helping good old engines live for another day. Of course I noticed his GMC when I picked up this stuff. He got even more passionate when he showed me the engine one day and explained how over engineered and built the 478 and it's brothers are. Over built, over schmilt, I say. Isn't that what makes this land of the free great? Let's get back on track. (Sorry, my friends, I'm preaching to the choir, but now I feel better.) Back to the GMC--so, of course, I bought his truck without seeing it for a year and without ever driving it because he is that kind of guy. I told him (when I picked it up) that one day he will want it back and all he has to do is call. Every morning I wake up hoping to have one more dance with his truck but knowing how happy he'll be to see it coming up his driveway. To me it's like land: we may think we own it--we get to walk upon it before we pass it on.

I have to close this response before I get carried away and will do so by saying broken bracket--now bonded--goes back on GMC tomorrow and, if former owner doesn't call, GMC and I head north to cut some firewood. It's been a long winter and the supply of buffalo chips is getting low.

Regards and Have a great weekend,

Culver
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:32 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
Great looking truck and wonderful condition for the snow country! I'm sure getting tired of it, April 4th will be 6 months of winter here.

The only help I can give is maybe beefing up your bracket with some strap or adding another bracket similar to this one on my '70 K5 Jimmy?

Sure would like to see more pics of your truck, sorry if I missed any before this if you already have. Entertaining read also!

DAC
Hi Doug,

Thanks, on behalf of the truck, for the complement. I call it a forty footer: looks good from that distance.

In a normal winter, MN looks to Rapid City in mid January for a little of your heat wave to spill our way and bring an hour or two of melting. This year, you didn't get it, we didn't get it, and we feel lucky when we read about other places.

Thanks for the photo of your K5 Jimmy bracket (and all the other photos you have posted). The old bracket goes back on (temporary) tomorrow but your bracket photo has me thinking.

I'm not the quickest when it comes to taming electrons and getting them to move photos from my shade tree garage to yours: today's are my first here in GMC land.

Regards and Have a great weekend (you'll probably be at the beach--50, yes, above zero, forecast here),

Culver
Old March 30th, 2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culver Adams View Post
Hi Doug,

Thanks, on behalf of the truck, for the complement. I call it a forty footer: looks good from that distance.

In a normal winter, MN looks to Rapid City in mid January for a little of your heat wave to spill our way and bring an hour or two of melting. This year, you didn't get it, we didn't get it, and we feel lucky when we read about other places.

Thanks for the photo of your K5 Jimmy bracket (and all the other photos you have posted). The old bracket goes back on (temporary) tomorrow but your bracket photo has me thinking.

I'm not the quickest when it comes to taming electrons and getting them to move photos from my shade tree garage to yours: today's are my first here in GMC land.

Regards and Have a great weekend (you'll probably be at the beach--50, yes, above zero, forecast here),

Culver
Hello again, Culver,

My tastes in GMCs seem to favor the ones that show some of the history they have experienced, but of course there is a point where they have experienced to much and I probably drive a couple that way---LOL!!

Your pics came out great so don't hesitate on posting more, but I understand the time factor. I am behind on some pics and measurements for Fetch and it got dark on me. First 60+* day since I can't remember when!

The downside of the beautiful day today is that we are under a winter weather advisory for tomorrow night and through Monday, and snow off and on until Thursday. Friday will be the 6 month anniversary of the huge blizzard that crippled us pretty bad and killed thousands of cattle. I think 6 months of winter is enough!

Thanks!---DAC

Old March 31st, 2014, 01:35 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Hi Doug,

I like your comment on driving GMC history.

I also like the 60+ day we had today: thanks for sending your leftover weather from yesterday for us to enjoy today.

The shock bracket that shocked 1961 GMC and me held up under load for 300 miles (including 4 wheel driving on roads with a half foot of unplowed snow) yesterday and today. We rode smooth as silk except where the state built a highway over a chunk of marsh--which froze this winter of winters and expanded a tad. It tried to launch 1961 GMC and me and the two bracket brothers towards the moon. Bracket brothers remain bonded: I'm proud of them.

Regards and Hope the storm blows over,

Culver
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:45 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

It just goes to show ya Culver. With brothers...wait for it.....

Blood is thicker than frozen water

Yeah, I'm retarded. Glad they're holding up. You have some ninja welding skills!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:12 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Hi Fetch,

By ninja welding, do you mean getting the job done slower than the critter in this photo moves? Then, yeah, I've got that skill.

My attempt at stick welding generated an immediate phone call: the fire department wanted to keep a rig in my driveway. Seems I was making less welds and more shooting stars. Now it's mostly acetylene and oxygen, which shows I never get tired of poking sticks in puddles.

I don't know if I imagine it, but welding on 1961 GMC's 50 year old steel is like spreading butter. Working with big box steel is trying to melt carbide tipped drill bits, coat hangers, and dud fire crackers at the same time.

When it comes to welding, the Powder Puff and you get the job done. Keep up the good work.

Regards and Have a great day,

Culver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SnappingTurtle-R.jpg (114.5 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culver Adams View Post
Hi Doug,

I like your comment on driving GMC history.

I also like the 60+ day we had today: thanks for sending your leftover weather from yesterday for us to enjoy today.

The shock bracket that shocked 1961 GMC and me held up under load for 300 miles (including 4 wheel driving on roads with a half foot of unplowed snow) yesterday and today. We rode smooth as silk except where the state built a highway over a chunk of marsh--which froze this winter of winters and expanded a tad. It tried to launch 1961 GMC and me and the two bracket brothers towards the moon. Bracket brothers remain bonded: I'm proud of them.

Regards and Hope the storm blows over,

Culver
Hi Culver, I'm glad your brothers remained inseparable! Put them up to the test and the strength of family was not to be beat.

The storm did blow over pretty fast with gusts up to 62 mph according to the Weather Channel. We only got 3 or 4 inches of snow so we have 2-3 foot drifts next to bare ground. The wind is still raging but the sun is trying to peek out. It sounds like it may just clip your area too so hopefully you will be as fortunate as we were.

Looking foreward to more about your GMC!---DAC