6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old April 8th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Truck: 1969 305E V-6 C2500 Wideside
1969_CM2590D is on a distinguished road
Default #6 not firing with eBay HEI, any ideas?

It's been pretty impossible to get the The Mule timed. Right now, to get it to run. I've got the timing way past 10 deg to get something resembling a smooth idle. Starting ain't easy either.This morning I checked for juice to the plugs. Hooked up the timing light on each plug wire to check for power. #6 was dead- no flash to the timing light. I fiddled with the boot at the distributor, and got a spotty and very intermittent (about no) timing flash. Also#3 and #2 flashed regularly, but had a very infrequent, rare "skip" to it. The rest are steady and ok.

I'm going to check the plug wire distributor boots first, and want to check and see if power is coming out of the #6 distributor terminal. So I'd like to know how I might check that output on #6. Of course, i want to hear any ides on what this might be and how to cure it. I've got a few ideas, but I'd also like to pick some brains on this.

Obviously with the original, it's all mechanical, and I'd easily sort that. Maybe something in the electronic guts of the HEI? What that might be? I'm doubting it's in the electronics as there is obviously power.I'm leaning to the boot/cap/rotor button zone

At least I'm not totally confounded anymore!

Thanks!

1969 GMC CM2500
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
1964 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: #6 not firing with eBay HEI, any ideas?

Put the stock dizzy in. I don't think any gmc v6 benefits from am hei. The hei was developed for higher compression lean fuel issues. This is not a problem with the jimmy v6. I have run the jimmy v6 over 250.000 miles on points ignitions. And still run them that way. In my opinion it's. Waste of money to put an hei in. I don't care what any one says I have run these old motors all ways. Including Efi. Please don't over think it. Barry. C.
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:13 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Really?? I noticed a substantial difference when converting to an HEI back in 1991 on my 305E V6. The combination of the Holley 500 and 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust turned out to be a great combination, all these improvements have been carried over to my 478M conversion. I would have to say the majority of members of this site can attest to these improvements and you're out numbered! The HEI was introduced during smog choked up 70's when compression ratios had dropped down drastically.
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

They make a spark plug tester that's about 14 bucks at the auto parts store. it'll light up when it fires.

About the HEI debate, he already has HEI so I guess its not really a debate. I'll never go HEI, but thats because I like my truck to work even if the russians decide they're hungry for land again. Putin is crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:34 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road

When I took my '65 with a 305e from California to Alaska in 2008 my main problem related to points and condenser. It was always getting out of tune. It turned out to be a bad condenser which I had trouble replacing.
Getting parts on the road was not easy. Carrying tuning equipment and every possible part is not what I want to do when I am driving to Newfoundland in 2015.
I went for the electronic distributor along with a corresponding coil to hopefully avoid these problems. Time will tell, but keeping it simple sure makes sense to me when I am going to be a long way from home.
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Truck: 1963 1500
Irishbleueyes is on a distinguished road

Nothing beats an electronic ignition. If you vie for points you clearly haven't used one. HEI will give miles and miles of maintenance free performance and will ignite all the fuel in the head chamber. After market HEI dist can have junk parts, make sure to use a GM module, cap and rotor. Also, spiral core spark plug wires should only be used. My brother in law just switched over to HEI in his 305 v6 and was blown away how well if worked, instant start, better performance. Points are cool if your're die hard original but they are a thing of the past.. with all the perf upgrades with added ignition control like MSD and now AFR gauges to really dial it in I would have an old carb car or truck over any fuel injected crap today...
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:50 PM

Truck: 1963 1500 Custom
adamfgarner is on a distinguished road

I am the brother-in-law in the post above; I will admit that I am no master mechanic but do have some experience and aptitude. First, I do respect BarryGMC's opinion's and feel his experience is valuable. However, in my own experience having to constantly source and adjust points to get the engine to run right doesn't interest me at all...I do have them in a box with the original distributor and the Stromberg in case we get EMP'ed though Pepsi. With the switch to the Holley and the HEI, once I set my timing (screw the listed settings - it ran poorly until Irishbleueys converted me to "seat-of-the-pants" timing adjustments) this truck starts quicker than my EFI vehicles, and runs MUCH better that the points (which were newish and well-adjusted)...the wider gap you can run (got mine at .060) insures better burn and virtually no warm-up time...I vote for the HEI as the members above and for the same reasons...unless you're a purist (truly even these guys are posers as very little is "original" any more) points make little sense to me as I don't like to fiddle-fart around unnecessarily to get my beast to growl. ...on a side note I had to twice remove my HEI to drill consecutively larger weep holes in my billet shaft because of a problem getting to much oil through the top bushes...
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:55 PM

oh, to answer the original post....sounds like you got a bum cap...or wire...if you haven't replaced your wires (shame on you) do so with at least a quality 8mm double shielded cable...I got a great set from ebay made for a 6 cylinder jeep by CARQUEST...just be sure to install the number 2 nipple of the distributor as close to the #2 cylinder is one of the wires wont be long enough 'less you do
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:56 PM

...that was meant to say " a great set FOR $15....complete with proper booties"
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:36 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

For those that want to maintain the stock look the Pertronix kit is a good alternative, easy start up just like the HEI but not quite as potent.