6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old July 23rd, 2016, 03:46 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carbon Buildup and Stuck Valves

My 292 was Horrible for gas smell in the morning. Oh man! You'd get one heck of a head ache from it. My 305 is awesome! While warming up it doesn't smell to bad at all.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 03:58 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

My 478 puts out a real strong smell when I start it up and run it but everything else I own is has Catalytic Converters so you tend to get used to the newer cleaner running engines. When the 305 was in the 68 it did real well biannual California smog tests, I contribute a lot of that to the HEI ignition considering it had the Holley 500 which is pretty fat on the 305. Good thing the truck now is exempt from the smog tests.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

i agree big block, the newest american hotrods are pulling 6 and 7 hundred hp, with cat converters. can't be restricted much.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

i think fuel injection, and hei make all the diff. in cold start driveabilty, and cold engine wear. i think choke tends to wash cylinders, and wear rings, and cylinder bores. with the gas we have now and not being able to buy oem choke coils, just cant to get choke to work right. i find myself adjusting them all the time, with the change of seasons. i have several vehicles with carbs, and i prefer manual choke.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:12 PM

bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Running a true exhaust on my 02 LS1 Trans Am with stock dual converters and there is virtually no restriction in the exhaust system and it more likely maxed out so I have to by a tuner for it.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:41 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know about other people, but it wasn't ever the restriction that made me hate cats. It was the cost. Paying $800 bucks for a glorified muffler and being told that you couldn't drive legally without it was the killer for me. I'd just as soon drive no exhaust as have a cat to pay for every few years. Not everyone is a rich politician.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 05:13 PM

Talk about costs, it's expensive here in California because when you have to replace a converter it has to have a specific California certified converter, so it will be dated and have a compliant number on it. As far as restriction it was the old pellet type of converters GM came out with in 1975 that were the worst
Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
Talk about costs, it's expensive here in California because when you have to replace a converter it has to have a specific California certified converter, so it will be dated and have a compliant number on it. As far as restriction it was the old pellet type of converters GM came out with in 1975 that were the worst

Yeah that california's crazy sauce. Always spending money and driving up costs but wondering why they're broke. I'd have to move next door to Utah or AZ or somesuch, though AZ/NM is getting just as bad on some things. The weather's beautiful, but the government...

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM

I'm thinking about an eventual move to Nevada to get away from all the nonsense going on California
Old July 24th, 2016, 02:44 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
I'm thinking about an eventual move to Nevada to get away from all the nonsense going on California
I wouldn't blame you a bit for that. CA used to be a great place from what I hear. Like 1960's and 70's. Maybe 80's? Since then it's gone a bit nutty.

Nevada's got alot of the same goodness though, without all the crazy overcontrolling laws.