6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old March 6th, 2023, 08:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 3/4 Ton
Walys60 is on a distinguished road
Default Motor Mounts

Okay, I know this has been addressed a few times in the past and I have read those threads but some things have been left unanswered that I was able to find.

First of all the front mounts (pictured). I saw the post about using the trans mount BK 6201045. I bought a similar one but wasn't the same part number and the holes didn't line up. However, it didn't look like a perfect alignment in the pictures of the BK 6201045 so maybe it doesn't have be perfect...? Anyway, I guess the question is, Has anyone had any success with the front mounts other than having them re-vulcanized?

Then there's the rears (also pictured). These are the 'saddle' style and I was able to find the 'lower' (the rubber piece on the bolt) but, of course, nothing else. I saw a thread about someone who bought the perch of the later style 'block' mount type thing and was going to replace his saddle style with it. I have NO idea if it was successful or if that is just a 'bolt on' type swap or do holes have to be drilled, do they line up with the bell housing existing holes, etc, etc.

I probably wasted my money on the lower pieces now that I'm thinking about it, unless someone has a solution for replacing the original pads in the 'saddle' style...?

So why not re-vulcanize? When I started finding old threads on this topic I noticed the farther back you go, the more that option made sense. At this point though...holy SMOKES!! $155 for the pair of fronts and that doesn't include shipping, both directions, or tax. They don't list the rears at all but let's pretend I could talk them into and doing it at the same price (highly unlikely)..that is $465 before shipping and tax!!!...we're talking about FOUR motor mounts folks...there HAS to be something else I can do..!???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230306_193110610.jpg (2.89 MB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230306_193129151.jpg (2.03 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
Old March 6th, 2023, 09:19 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Motor Mounts

I don't see, in one small picture, anything wrong with your mounts. But the answer is get the front mounts revulcanized.
As for the bell housing mounts. The actual design does not have to match exactly. It's some rubber and some metal backing. By going to local Oriellys type stores, find something that fits the hat secton of the crossmember. That is the basic fit issue. These local stores will allow returns. But you can be fairly sure by measuring at the store. I am linking JUST EXAMPLES.
CLICK
CLICK 2

You have the funky shaped metal part for top of rear mount. Keep and clean that. Find a "C" shaped rubber that will work/sandwiched in it. Then a bottom rubber/metal backer that will fit or modified to fit for the under part.

Last edited by AZKen; March 6th, 2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old March 6th, 2023, 10:31 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I think I found the bottom rubber. KEEP ALL THE METAL PIECES OF ANY KIND. SMALL AND LARGE. DON'T THROW AWAY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

No.'s 9 and 10 are definately worth a
TRY.

The bottom rubber of the rear mount for manual trans 1960 GMC is listed in Rockauto. They are out of stock. The number comes back to 54-89 Chevy. MM 20-A. The dimensions are Approx. 2.5" long, 1" thick. Don't know width. The top may be a DIY "make it fit". Use all your original metal backers for top and bot as you can. Bolts too.

The MM is Metro Molded Parts. Was in contact with a nice lady. They only have one. They can mold more but at $30 each shipped, forget it. Go with LMC, cheap enough to try unless you already did. Actual GMC mounts for your truck are probably not available. THIS is back when I was a young kid. I have since sold that 1960 4x4.

Last edited by AZKen; March 6th, 2023 at 11:16 PM.
Old March 7th, 2023, 06:11 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1967 CM 2500
BobBray will become famous soon enoughBobBray will become famous soon enough

The original front GMC V-6 engine mounts (part #2391949) are obsolete and I have not seen any NOS ones for years. Your choices are have your originals re-vulcanized or use NAPA 620-1045. The major difference is the NAPA mount has a single stud on the bottom, the original mount has 2 threaded holes. You may have to drill a hole in your motor mount perches to make it work. As for the rear bell housing mounts, take a look at Anchor 2162 (upper) and Anchor 2163 (lower). Rockauto has them. These are regular GM medium duty truck mounts that were used for many years, and they fit the later pickups as well. You might be able to modify them.
Old March 7th, 2023, 02:04 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

AZKen/BobBray, Thanks Gents, you guys are on top of it! Very much appreciate the help.

So, yes, the rubber that goes under (inside) the cross member for the rears is available and I have that (picture shown). Thanks BobBray, I was wondering what they were doing with that single post trans mount. So that is an option but would be better to keep the two post I’m sure. I am ‘ok’ paying the (sigh) $160+ for the pair of fronts, I guess, as long as I can get something else done for the rears.

So, it sounds like it comes down to the 2 pads in the rear ‘saddle’ mount. I added a couple pictures to show that it is 2 separate mounts that just fit in the sides of the saddle. The steel actually just sits right on the top of the cross member (metal on metal). So the rubber doesn’t actually ‘wrap’ around the cross member. Point taken though…just try to find a mount that fits between the cross member and the inside of the saddle. So too thick and it won’t fit…too thin and..maybe I can bend the saddles?

Not sure if you can tell by the pictures but rubber 'mounts' are sandwiched between steel, a lot like the front mounts. Well, they were at one time. The one that is outside the saddle is because it’s completely separated and its metal is still bolted to the saddle.

Anyway, I won’t bother with the big guy parts stores as they rarely have anyone in there with any concept of what I’m trying to do…they can bring me a part as long as I have a part number but that’s about it. I have a Merle’s though and those guys always work with me on this stuff and are pretty knowledgeable. I’ll take what I’ve got there and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230307_125914057.jpg (2.10 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230307_125940990.jpg (1.72 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230307_125955942.jpg (2.46 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

Last edited by Walys60; March 7th, 2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old March 7th, 2023, 04:12 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBray View Post
The original front GMC V-6 engine mounts (part #2391949) are obsolete and I have not seen any NOS ones for years. Your choices are have your originals re-vulcanized or use NAPA 620-1045. The major difference is the NAPA mount has a single stud on the bottom, the original mount has 2 threaded holes. You may have to drill a hole in your motor mount perches to make it work. As for the rear bell housing mounts, take a look at Anchor 2162 (upper) and Anchor 2163 (lower). Rockauto has them. These are regular GM medium duty truck mounts that were used for many years, and they fit the later pickups as well. You might be able to modify them.
I am using Anchor 2337 mounts for the front, they have 1 metric M10 stud, but my '65 perches have 3 holes in them, left, right, and center, so both types can be used. Virtually a drop in part. They're not as pretty as the OEM mounts, though.
For the rear mounts, I use Anchor 2107 and Anchor 2108. These pair up to form one mount. (you need 2 mounts in total)
Old March 7th, 2023, 05:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
I am using Anchor 2337 mounts for the front, they have 1 metric M10 stud, but my '65 perches have 3 holes in them, left, right, and center, so both types can be used. Virtually a drop in part. They're not as pretty as the OEM mounts, though.
For the rear mounts, I use Anchor 2107 and Anchor 2108. These pair up to form one mount. (you need 2 mounts in total)
Awesome! You are even using that one (Anchor 2337)!? I'm going with that then, thanks! I just hit 'place order' they're on the way.

I assume then you don't have the 'saddle' type with using the Anchor 2107 and Anchor 2108. Those are still a concern, but I'll see what I can find. Anyone have any luck and is actually using something for the saddle mounts in the rear?
Old March 7th, 2023, 05:21 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walys60 View Post
Awesome! You are even using that one (Anchor 2337)!? I'm going with that then, thanks! I just hit 'place order' they're on the way.

I assume then you don't have the 'saddle' type with using the Anchor 2107 and Anchor 2108. Those are still a concern, but I'll see what I can find. Anyone have any luck and is actually using something for the saddle mounts in the rear?
Hello Wally, not so quick, the Anchor 2337 are what I used on my 65. Your 60 is different, at least the front mounts are. I'm unsure whether they work in your application. The rear mounts should fit I think, but should be reinforced with galvanized pipe. See this thread, post 55 and 56.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...=575596&page=3
Old March 7th, 2023, 05:40 PM

That front mount 2337 may work but you don't have perches. Probar is using that for front mount instead of revulcanized and he is using 2107/2108 for rear bell housing which work for his crossmember. There were changes between your 1960 and his 1965. Not sure exactly what changes. (perches and crossmember I guess).
I linked a "C" shape rubber (like 2107) for the bell housing mount. Maybe you can cut it and just use the thick sides of it for your top strap. That is probably what you are thinking.
Old March 7th, 2023, 05:55 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
That front mount 2337 may work but you don't have perches. Probar is using that for front mount instead of revulcanized and he is using 2107/2108 for rear bell housing which work for his crossmember. There were changes between your 1960 and his 1965. Not sure exactly what changes. (perches and crossmember I guess).
I linked a "C" shape rubber (like 2107) for the bell housing mount. Maybe you can cut it and just use the thick sides of it for your top strap. That is probably what you are thinking.
Okay, sure. It sounded like it was different for sure, he described having '3 holes' and I definitely don't have that. I attached pictures of the mounting for the rubber. I thought maybe I could drill another hole in the engine side bracket for the single stud mount...?

For the rears, yeah, I'll go into Merle's today and see what I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230307_174821334.jpg (1.44 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230307_174828709.jpg (1.35 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230307_174835493.jpg (1.33 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)