6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > I-6 Engines

I-6 Engines For GMCs that came with the Inline 6 Engines

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:36 PM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

Wow that is in much better condition than you made it sound, your rust is almost non existent that ruck would sell for $2k-$3k here like that running or not if the cab is rust free.

I never understood why so many GMC's have Chevy hoods like this and your rig even has "chevrolet" mounted in the GMC grille, funny that people change this stuff.

Very nice condition, I don't know what the market price is in your area but i would snap that up NOW for $1500 in the condition. And if they negotiate the price a little all the better!
Good Luck!
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:20 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Dang man! 1500 bucks all day long on that custom there unless the other side is completely missing! Being Idaho you're lucky it's not rusted through the floorpans and 1/2 of everything else. Haggle with him if you want but you take that puppy HOME and love on it daily! Great color for these old trucks too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:51 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

That truck already looks like the work could be minimal to make a decent driver out of it, and like you say, bed wood, fenders etc, are basic stuff to replace. I say buy it!

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:35 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

Nice looking truck New Guy. My two cents worth: If the rest of the truck is in as gooda shape as the picture shows, it could be a nice truck for you. That really depends on what bed style you want, how much work you want to do, and whata ya want the truck for? Project? Daily Driver? Work/Ranch truck? Only you know those answers.

If you should decide to get it, I would strongly recommend trailering it home. You could do damage to the engine by driving it around, especially at highway speeds. If it's been sitting that long, it needs a "start up", which would be dealing with the old gas in the system, which has already been talked about. Drain all that crudy old engine oil and change the oil filter. Inspect what comes out in your oil pan and whats on/in the filter cartridge. It could tell you alot about the condition of internal things. Check out the brakes real good. If you have a good strong pedal when you push on it, then at least do a visual inspection of the master cylinder, and crawl underneath and check the wheel cylinders for leaks etc. Cooling system? Any water leaks at the radiator? Are the radiator hoses in good shape? Pinch them and see if they still are flexible and not brittle. Hows the fan belt? If all this stuff gets done and you get it fired up, then watch the gauges real close as the engine warms up. Temp gauge ok? Oil & Gen lights work with key on, but stay out when engine running? Any smoke coming out of the tail pipe? Anyway, lots to consider, and a fun project for sure. Treat that ol' girl to some TLC
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:13 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road

OK, folks...I bought the truck! Thanks for all your help. Now the fun begins!
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:39 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Nice! I just brought my 62 home Sunday and it is already running. I did and do have spare parts motors so that helped quite a bit.

Most of these GMCs have a fuel filter in a canister slightly smaller than a Coke can under the cab on the passenger side. They are really cheap, like 4 bucks. Change it and carry a spare with a clear filter nearer the engine to keep tabs on what is going on in the tank.
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:52 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road

OK, I drained as much of the old gas as I could and put a couple gallons of fresh ethanol-free gas in the tank. The filter in the carb was half blocked with crud. Replaced the fuel filter next to the gas pump with a clear one, and it looks dirty already. There's no filter under the cab. After all this it still idles really badly. Can't idle for long even with the choke on full. Any thoughts about how to clean things up?
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:02 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK, I drained as much of the old gas as I could and put a couple gallons of fresh ethanol-free gas in the tank. The filter in the carb was half blocked with crud. Replaced the fuel filter next to the gas pump with a clear one, and it looks dirty already. There's no filter under the cab. After all this it still idles really badly. Can't idle for long even with the choke on full. Any thoughts about how to clean things up?
I would scroll back up to Fetchmeapepsi's comment and click on his carb rebuild link in his signature. He really did a great job writing it up in basic terms.
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah if the carb filter was that bad the inside of the carb likely has bad gummed up old gas residue and you should just buy a new carb or do the rebuild, they are so easy to redo yourself that you will be surprised. Do the carb and tune her up and you will be flying done the hiway!
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:57 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Now start a build thread and lets see some pics of all the progress! Welcome to the obsession

Like another person said I think I see a 15.00 carb rebuild in your future. If you dont already have some get a gallon of carb cleaner too. You can reuse it again and again on everything greasy. Money well spent!

I think it was $16.00, but I dont remmeber. That and a few screwdrivers and sockets are all you need to get-r done. Youll be driving in no time.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.