6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter
 



Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion


General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 26th, 2022, 12:50 AM
MoscowMule MoscowMule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Moscow Mills MO.
Truck: 1965 1500 GMC
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 9
MoscowMule is on a distinguished road
Question 305 V-6 engine oil

Hello I'm new to this group.My wife and I just purchased a 1965 GMC C-15 with the 305E V-6 in it.We are going to restore it.We want to keep this motor in it.I'm curious what kind of oil everyone is running in there 305's ? What is the oil canister filter number you running? Thanks I advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 26th, 2022, 01:15 AM
Ed Snyder's Avatar
Ed Snyder Ed Snyder is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Medford, Oregon
Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Posts: 744
Rep Power: 259
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscowMule View Post
Hello I'm new to this group.My wife and I just purchased a 1965 GMC C-15 with the 305E V-6 in it.We are going to restore it.We want to keep this motor in it.I'm curious what kind of oil everyone is running in there 305's ? What is the oil canister filter number you running? Thanks I advance.
Congratulations on your purchase, MM! If you treat it right, it should outlast you. These engines are capable of going over a half million miles with the right preventative maintenance. Oil changes are number one. Regarding what kind of oil, you'll get a variety of answers since everyone has their favorite. I've always used Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic oil.

My trucks use the spin-on filters, and I don't remember what the cartridge filter number is any more. I'm sure someone on the forum here can help with that though. By the way, C-15 (C-20 in your ID) is a Chevy type of model number. If your truck is a half ton, you have a model 1000. If it's a three quarter ton, you have a 1500.

We're looking forward to learning more about your truck, and seeing some photos of it.
__________________
Ed Snyder
Medford, Oregon
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 26th, 2022, 01:24 AM
LEWISMATKIN's Avatar
LEWISMATKIN LEWISMATKIN is offline
-= Site Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: RIDGE MANOR, FLORIDA
Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
Age: 62
Posts: 280
Rep Power: 136
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

The napa p/n for the 1 qt filter is 1121. And as long as you are happy with the brand of oil you like to use, just make sure the oil has plenty of zddp in it. Modern oils don't have enough to protect the camshaft & lifters.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 26th, 2022, 01:57 AM
MoscowMule MoscowMule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Moscow Mills MO.
Truck: 1965 1500 GMC
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 9
MoscowMule is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, MM! If you treat it right, it should outlast you. These engines are capable of going over a half million miles with the right preventative maintenance. Oil changes are number one. Regarding what kind of oil, you'll get a variety of answers since everyone has their favorite. I've always used Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic oil.

My trucks use the spin-on filters, and I don't remember what the cartridge filter number is any more. I'm sure someone on the forum here can help with that though. By the way, C-15 (C-20 in your ID) is a Chevy type of model number. If your truck is a half ton, you have a model 1000. If it's a three quarter ton, you have a 1500.

We're looking forward to learning more about your truck, and seeing some photos of it.
Sorry never owned this year truck before.The guy we purchased it from had it listed as a C-20.After I ran the Vin. it said C-15. It is a 3/4 ton.I'm a firm believer in keeping up on oil changes so I hope it holds up.Once I figure out how to post pics I well share .Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 26th, 2022, 02:21 AM
MoscowMule MoscowMule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Moscow Mills MO.
Truck: 1965 1500 GMC
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 9
MoscowMule is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, MM! If you treat it right, it should outlast you. These engines are capable of going over a half million miles with the right preventative maintenance. Oil changes are number one. Regarding what kind of oil, you'll get a variety of answers since everyone has their favorite. I've always used Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic oil.

My trucks use the spin-on filters, and I don't remember what the cartridge filter number is any more. I'm sure someone on the forum here can help with that though. By the way, C-15 (C-20 in your ID) is a Chevy type of model number. If your truck is a half ton, you have a model 1000. If it's a three quarter ton, you have a 1500.

We're looking forward to learning more about your truck, and seeing some photos of it.
I edit my description and added a few pics. She runs good and the body is solid.We have some dents to bang out. Also have a few patch panels to replace in the front lower front fenders and replace the roof skin..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 26th, 2022, 03:33 AM
AZKen's Avatar
AZKen AZKen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: AZ
Truck: 6066GMC
Posts: 1,389
Rep Power: 429
AZKen is a jewel in the roughAZKen is a jewel in the roughAZKen is a jewel in the roughAZKen is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Use our VIN decoder page. Go to "jolly's......page" at top left. Click on "VIN Numbers" in the colored menu. Scroll down and read. As said "C" means Chevrolet. If the decoder you used said C-15, it's a Chevy decider or a bad decoder. We have the official.

you will have a 1502xxxxxxx............if you don't, better let us know what it is.

Last edited by AZKen; January 26th, 2022 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 26th, 2022, 06:02 AM
Ed Snyder's Avatar
Ed Snyder Ed Snyder is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Medford, Oregon
Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Posts: 744
Rep Power: 259
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN View Post
The napa p/n for the 1 qt filter is 1121. And as long as you are happy with the brand of oil you like to use, just make sure the oil has plenty of zddp in it. Modern oils don't have enough to protect the camshaft & lifters.
Lewis is correct -- you definitely need to use a high ZDDP oil. That's why I like https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-4...motor-oil-zrd/.

Note that it says "High-zinc formula protects flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers & other critical components".
__________________
Ed Snyder
Medford, Oregon
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 26th, 2022, 06:16 AM
BobBray BobBray is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Truck: 1967 CM 2500
Posts: 183
Rep Power: 106
BobBray is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

I use Valvoline VR1 10W-30. Amsoil is good too. The Zinc/ZDDP additive is more critical in an engine with new flat-tappet cam and lifters, but why take a chance in an engine with a lot of miles on it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 26th, 2022, 10:04 AM
MoscowMule MoscowMule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Moscow Mills MO.
Truck: 1965 1500 GMC
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 9
MoscowMule is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Use our VIN decoder page. Go to "jolly's......page" at top left. Click on "VIN Numbers" in the colored menu. Scroll down and read. As said "C" means Chevrolet. If the decoder you used said C-15, it's a Chevy decider or a bad decoder. We have the official.

you will have a 1502xxxxxxx............if you don't, better let us know what it is.
Okay sorry I've only owned old Chevys before .I knew the C 's were 2 wheel drive and K's were 4 wheel drive.It is a 1500 GMC .There is no C before it.Thank you for clarifying.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 26th, 2022, 11:38 AM
jbgroby's Avatar
jbgroby jbgroby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lacombe, LA.
Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
Posts: 657
Rep Power: 229
jbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

I'm using Shell Rotella T1 Straight Grade SAE 30.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
305 v6 oil filter neil305v6 GMC V6 and V12 Engines 2 February 7th, 2017 08:53 AM
305 using normal oil filter Sponge GMC V6 and V12 Engines 1 December 21st, 2016 06:23 PM
Oil leak 305 V6 Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 October 5th, 2009 05:41 AM
Re: Oil leak 305 V6 Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 October 5th, 2009 01:00 AM
RE: engine oil Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 March 4th, 2002 12:41 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd 1001652455046|1651633518|0
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.