6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old April 5th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road
Default 65 305e Fuel Pump Question

My 65 GMC V6 305e engine needs a fuel pump. I think a Carter M3955 fuel pump is a replacement, but I am not sure.
Does anyone know if that is the correct replacement? I can purchase it via Amazon from a vender.
Thanks for your help.
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 65 305e Fuel Pump Question

I used Precision part number M20021 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Lifetime warranty too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I used Precision part number M20021 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Lifetime warranty too.

The photo of M20021 is different than what my current fuel pump looks like. My current pump looks more like the Carter M3955 with a high cylinder shape above it rather than a nut on top. Are you sure that fits the 305e rather than the 305c? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:27 PM

My current fuel pump looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B4D5D4FB-5D5E-420F-9950-39F5736773AD.jpeg (2.13 MB, Multiple views, 25 clicks)
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

That's what my old one looked like. Here's the thread with a bunch of pictures

https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.p...0021#post59047

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:34 PM

Your pictures are great. It looks just like my fuel pump. The picture of the Precision M20021 on the oreillyauto.com web site is very different at first glance. I realized my mistake. The Precision photo shows the underside of the filter. Daaaaah. I will order it for my 305e. Thanks for bearing with my quick observation mistake.
Question: Is there any position the pump’s cam area has to be in when you remove and replace it? Can I just pull it out and stick the new one back in? Does it go in guided or do I have to be precise when sticking the cam arm back in? Sorry - so many questions:-(
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:29 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmashman View Post
Your pictures are great. It looks just like my fuel pump. The picture of the Precision M20021 on the oreillyauto.com web site is very different at first glance. I realized my mistake. The Precision photo shows the underside of the filter. Daaaaah. I will order it for my 305e. Thanks for bearing with my quick observation mistake.
Question: Is there any position the pump’s cam area has to be in when you remove and replace it? Can I just pull it out and stick the new one back in? Does it go in guided or do I have to be precise when sticking the cam arm back in? Sorry - so many questions:-(

Thanks!
There's nothing special you have to do. Just pull the old one out, slide the new one in, and off ya go! You may have to prime it if it's been dry for a while.

Old June 24th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Truck: 1965
zoulas is on a distinguished road

What is the best recommendation if you don't use the truck virtually at all with just some starting periodically to circulate the fluids? I am averaging one failed fuel pump per year. There has to be some solution. I have been using the NAPA unit. Going to try the Oreilly one this time. Can't be any worse.
Old June 24th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Truck: 1965
zoulas is on a distinguished road

The oreilly warranty carried many contingencies, this is from their web site:

Fuel Pump Warranty
Fuel pumps carry a limited lifetime warranty when the fuel filter and strainer, if applicable, are replaced with the pump. In order to validate the warranty, O'Reilly Auto Parts and the pump manufacturer(s) require proof of purchase and installation of the filter and strainer; otherwise, pumps installed without the previously mentioned items carry no warranty.
Old June 24th, 2019, 03:33 PM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road

Hi Zoulas!

The OReilly printed warranty may be nuanced, however I have never had a warranty replacement rejected by the boys behind the counter. Simply bring the old pump with you and explain that it carries a lifetime warranty. You should receive a new pump without hassle. I have on occasion watched them pull the purchase up on the computer to verify but never has that affected my returns.

I hope this helps!

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club