6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:58 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default My 1963 1000 Factory Black true "Barn Find"

This post is in story format and rather lengthy - so if you are in the mood for some great GMC history, read on. I always admired and wanted a real untouched 1963 1000 w/ factory plaid valve covers, but every one I saw was a rusty unattractive turd and usually without the plaid covers. In 2011 I bought 6066 member Allan Stevensons' beautiful un-restored 1964 GMC 3/4 ton (see Jeannie's album on it) and I treasured it and babied it for several years until a deep pocketed collector talked me out of it. Before I let it go though, I added a beautiful set of the plaid covers and enjoyed reveling in their historical significance, and talking them up at cruises and shows. One day I drove it to the sandblasters shop and there incidentally met a man waiting on his sandblast work who, in admiring and talking about my 64, went on to tell me that he knew where an all-original short wheelbase, wideside 1963 GMC was in a dry barn that was also a Custom model with all the fun chrome, and a rarer big back window, and Factory Black to boot - still in its original paint and still with its original owner he'd known since he was a kid. I was absolutely drooling by the time he finished telling me about it and him riding in it as a kid etc. I of course immediately professed my devotion to the brand and went through my infatuation with 55-66 GMC's and told him I even went by GMCNUT on several forums - exhausting every effort to make him understand he was not talking to some random moron with a GMC but talking to a bona-fide purist and GMC enthusiast - whatever I could say to get him interested in seeing me have it. But he went on to say that the original owner had promised the truck to him when he was "ready" to let it go and he was eager to get it eventually. Seeing no opportunity to get him away from the truck and set my sights on it, I left on a handshake and never saw the man again.
Fast forward to August 2017. I at that time had managed to find a near identical also factory Black, big window, short fleetside Chevy C10, and I carried it to the Smith Lake car show in the next county over. A man came running up saying "Wow! I thought this was that truck we have down at the shop but I see now this ones' a Chevy where ours is a **** identical Black GMC!" I was taken aback and prodded for details. He went on to tell me he was the mechanic in nearby Priceville Alabama (some 20 minutes from my house) for a big time collector of rare Chevelles and Tri-Fives etc who had just acquired the truck from the original owner and that he was instructed to start on it next week by pulling the 305 V6 and doing an LS swap because 3 of 6 cylinders had low to zero compression. He had me hooked when he said "you'll never believe this but that dam engine has plaid valve covers!" so of course, I asked if they could be had, and he said I'd have to buy the engine but it was definitely for sale. He gave me directions to the shop and his cell, and said to come the following week and take a look, so by Wednesday following the car show weekend I was headed there. I pulled up as he was under it with a jack replacing the tattered flat tires and original rims with 8" GM stock "rollers", and I proceeded to do the walk around and inspection of the entire truck. I was shocked it was so straight and original, despite not liking the rattle can gray primer all over the ceiling and dash, and when I lifted the hood, there is was - completely untouched survivor everything - all wiring and clips, and brackets and engine - never had a wrench on any of it.
So turning back to the mechanic, I said "this truck is waaaay too original to be LS swapped and ruined" and the mechanic looked up and said "that
s what I told him (the collector) - we should restore it original". So with that in agreement, he dialed on speakerphone the owner and said "hey, that "GMC Nut" guy I told you I met is here wanting to know what you want for this 305 V6 engine"....I was shocked when a crackled voice came over his phone and said "Is that "GMC Nut guy from Arab by chance?" to which the mechanic replied "yes, that's him!". The Collector then said "yep, I've met him before - ask him if he wants to buy the whole truck". I was totally shocked and puzzled at how this otherwise unknown stranger could know me, but I was certainly happy to have my shot, and knew there was no need to dilly dally around so I replied immediately a resounding YES. The mechanic and collector spoke briefly and he turned to me and stated the price to buy it and I agreed, so when I came back a day later to pay and pick it up I got to meet the man who owned it - I was still clueless who he was until he explained he was the man I had randomly met at the sandblasters that day all those years back. He said I had made an impression on him in being such a strong GMC enthusiast, so when he heard his mechanic had met a GMC "Nut" who wanted the engine, he said he knew it had to be me.
I couldn't believe I had ended up with the truck I had drooled over that day.
Since then, she's had a proper tune up and all mechanical items checked and freshened up like dope, brakes, clutch slave and brake master, etc and I re-covered the optional Terrace Blue seat and matching armrest (optionally available in Black, White and Terrace outside painted trucks)and cleaned up the plaids to show off better at shows, and I've been driving it daily ever since. 305E runs strong about like a stock 2bbl equipped Chevy 283, climbs steep mountain highways with ease, and never smokes. Some of you will be surprised, but I think this truck is making about 15-17 MPG with its 100% stock WW and engine with no mods. Very good on gas for whatever reason.
I re-chromed the hubcaps and bolted in a piece of steel checkerplate in the bed floor so it would have one, and its today the most dependable truck I may have ever owned. Drove it over 100 miles one-way to Chattanooga Tennessee last weekend and even in bumper to bumper traffic too. She works flawlessly and the three speed column never hangs. She has about 54,000 actual miles on her today. Thank you for reading the story - I feel very fortunate to own it and have been offered $14,500 so far for it, which I turned down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8338.jpg (116.2 KB, Multiple views, 29 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_8334 - Copy.jpg (87.8 KB, Multiple views, 24 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_8333 - Copy.jpg (111.9 KB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_8341.jpg (94.6 KB, Multiple views, 26 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_8335 - Copy.jpg (86.0 KB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:00 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
Default Re: My 1963 1000 Factory Black true "Barn Find"

I don't know how to stop this website from turning my photos counter-clockwise when posting so if any of you do, let me know and I will re-post pics corrected

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:11 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
I don't know how to stop this website from turning my photos counter-clockwise when posting so if any of you do, let me know and I will re-post pics corrected

Oooo I can help with this one! I just went through this Apple refuses to join the "standards" group and put the right stuff in their pictures to tell programs what way it should look. If you open the picture that's sideways in Windows and turn it the right way then close the window, it'll save right. That's how i do it anyway.

I haven't read your story yet, so I'll edit this when I do. Great pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 4th, 2019, 05:16 PM

Truck: 1967 GMC 9500 COE Ladder/Pumper with the 637 gas V-8
2-Ton is on a distinguished road

Great story and glad you save the GMC.
You going to the Stovebolt Homecoming?
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...1284486/1.html

Don
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:46 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Ton View Post
Great story and glad you save the GMC.
You going to the Stovebolt Homecoming?
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...1284486/1.html

Don
No, thats a little too far from home for me looks like fun though