6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old March 30th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Ok. Could not find a part number in the manual for the crankcase breather. Figured, well just take the one of the engine to the store and see what yyou can find. Pulled off the cap to find the shell was empty and full of gunk

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So anyone know the part number for the filter that goes in here and how my big hand can get it cleaned out in that tight spot???

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old March 30th, 2014, 07:11 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Cleaning it is easy. Soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Dont know about the fitler though. Mine is road draft ventilation tubed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Cleaning it is easy. Soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Dont know about the fitler though. Mine is road draft ventilation tubed.
Got a pic of that? ...I know you do.

Old March 30th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Should have just dug around here on the 6066 main site before scouring the web. Jolly's part list came through. Should be able to get it from NAPA

In the pic of mine, the center hole even looks plugged up. That concerns me since that should be an airway into the block correct?
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:09 AM

Got the carburetor tore down. Just have to pic up the kit and get her back together. I thought about taking pics, but all you have to do is hop over to FetchMeAPepsi's build thread and you have all the documentation you need!

Thanks Fetch!

Still need to take more off the engine. I have oil coming out of the top rear of the engine and running down everywhere.

It seems that for some reason there is no gasket under the plate that is under the intake manifold between the valve covers....no, I do not know what it is called.

Won't know for sure until I pull more stuff off where I can see what is going on back there.

Also, that nice orange engine in my original photos....well...not sure what they did when they painted it, but it is flaking off various spots on the valve covers and block. Basically anywhere I touch it now it seems.

On a lighter note, when I brought the truck home, I was calling it rust bucket. Well, my daughter (10) has now officially named it Rusty! She spent the afternoon drawing "Rusty" in different styles because she plans to paint the name in floor of the bed.

Old March 31st, 2014, 05:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Got a pic of that? ...I know you do.

I thought I had one with the tranny pics but nope.

Its a hard very immovable steel pipe that pokes down the back of the engine. If you crawl under the truck for any reason it will seek out sore spots and poke you in them, usually around the temples and ears. Oh, and it drips oil too so you get a nice coating of facepaint as a bonus.

Its not my favorite feature lol.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:45 AM

Well, didn't have much time today, but went hunting for the source oil...black gold...Texas tea!

Pulled the intake manifold to see this.

Looks like rivers of black coming from the passages. Not sure if that is a normal look under the manifold.

Tried to take some pics further back where the oil is but couldn't get my self back there where I could see. So some of these shots were taken blind

In front of the distributor in pic below.... Something strange about the paint going on here. looks bubbly. Not sure whoever painted the engine knew what they were doing. The back piece of that top panel had been cleaned off by previous owner and he had tightened down on those back two screws, thinking the oil was coming out there. He thought he slowed it down and told me a gasket there was needed. Maybe he's right, but I don't know yet.

Driver side, rear of engine, distributor at top of pic, firewall to right side of pic. oil and gunk everywhere.

From passenger side, rear of engine, distributor to the right of pic, firewall to left. Oil and gunk running down everywhere.

With it running down from somewhere at the top, all over the transmission and evidently has sprayed onto the firewall, I really am not sure of the source.

Last edited by aphaynes; April 1st, 2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo in picture description
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

aphaynes,

I followed this thread down from where you found the plugged breather cap. My 1964 GMC with a 305E V6 has a different breather setup that leads to the air cleaner housing, but it does have an in-line filter that plugged up on me and apparently caused pressure to build up in the engine, which led to oil being pumped out the dipstick tube. So this is something else to think about. I remember it made a big mess on the passenger side, but I don't recall it spreading so much to the driver's side of the firewall. Before a more experienced neighbor pointed out what was happening, I had twice replaced valve cover gaskets with no affect on oil loss. After cleaning the breather filter (carburetor cleaner is good for this), the problem went away. Good luck finding the oil leak. I know it is hard to track back through the mess.

jrmunn
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
aphaynes,

I followed this thread down from where you found the plugged breather cap. My 1964 GMC with a 305E V6 has a different breather setup that leads to the air cleaner housing, but it does have an in-line filter that plugged up on me and apparently caused pressure to build up in the engine, which led to oil being pumped out the dipstick tube. So this is something else to think about. I remember it made a big mess on the passenger side, but I don't recall it spreading so much to the driver's side of the firewall. Before a more experienced neighbor pointed out what was happening, I had twice replaced valve cover gaskets with no affect on oil loss. After cleaning the breather filter (carburetor cleaner is good for this), the problem went away. Good luck finding the oil leak. I know it is hard to track back through the mess.

jrmunn
Thanks for the tip. I am still trying to find out how to remove that crankcase filter carriage so I can ensure I get it cleaned and unplugged. I can't find anything that shows if it screws into the block or is some sort of press fit. I don't want to damage it as it is apparently hard to find and I can't get a good view of it where it is located.

At work, someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal. I had not considered that but might as well take a good look at it while I am in there.
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:41 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road

(someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal)

Hi Aphaynes,

Experimenting with alternatives to original road draft crankcase vent tube a 1965 Chevy 235 I6 engine, I closed off road draft crankcase vent tube. There was enough pressure in the crankcase to blow oil (like a gusher) up the space between distributor shaft and the vertical bored hole in which it is placed. The oil left the engine and went out to the world between the engine block and distributor flange. I opened up the crankcase vent again and, of course, the oil stayed where it belonged: thank you, gravity.

Suggests to me your clogged crankcase vent may be related to gushing oil.

Hope this helps, Here's hoping for a quick fix, and Regards,

Culver