6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 16th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Truck: 1965 gmc 4x4 big block 305 v6 fleetside
jdnelson is on a distinguished road
Default 64 gmc first steps

I'm just getting started on this project, first I need to stop the rust. I'm in the process of building a shop but that could take awhile. I haven't done any body work since the 80's and I was wondering what products are out there now to provide rust protection for the inner cavities on these fenders.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old July 16th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: 64 gmc first steps

Well you can either take ALL the rust off with a mechanical method and then apply anything from paint to undercoat. or you can use a rust converter applied over the de-scaled rust. This will not protect non rusted areas. Of course you must replace all rusted out sections with new metal as you are doing.
Old July 17th, 2018, 06:02 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

I've heard decent results about Eastwood's rust converters. Ultimately the best method is fully removing it and reapplying paint.
Funny thing about undercoating is I found more rot in the areas undercoated than the areas painted in the process of restoring my 66.

POR15 is a high quality rust resistant paint that people have been very pleased with. I only have experience with eastwood, but I've been told by professionals that por15 is the way to go. Food for thought.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2018, 02:47 AM

Truck: 1965 gmc 4x4 big block 305 v6 fleetside
jdnelson is on a distinguished road

Haven't had much time to work on it lately but I did get the patch panels ready to weld in. Ordered some por 15 from Amazon but now I'm going salmon fishing so it's going to be put off for 2 more weeks. By the way, I'm used to doing this with air tools and I was pretty leery about using a cheap tool shop cut off tool but that thing is very capable. Especially for around 20 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk