6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 29th, 2021, 04:57 PM

Truck: 1962 K1001
CMCamp is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Sender Unit

I'm having trouble locating a fuel sender unit for my 1962 K1001 Panel truck. I've called around to all the typical suppliers and it is not available. I called a supplier that specializes in fuel tanks and fuel tank components, they said it was not available and recommended I find one that is close and modify it. So I have two questions. Does anyone know where I could find the correct sender or does anyone know of one that is close that I could modify. Appreciate the help.
Old November 29th, 2021, 07:33 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Fuel Sender Unit

You will probably have to modify the 60-66 truck fuel sender or the 63-66 panel sender. The flange and it's bolt pattern are usually all the same, the ohms are the same, but you will have to shorten/modify the pick up tube and the float wire. Don't install into tank until tested with gauge. Don't know why the 63-66 panel sender is different than 60-62 panel sender.
https://www.classicparts.com/1963-66...tinfo/23-528B/
https://www.classicparts.com/1960-66...ctinfo/23-527/

There is a universal sender also: https://www.classicparts.com/1931-66...tinfo/23-522A/...NO FUEL PICK UP TUBE!!! It could be added however.

Do you have the old sender?

Last edited by AZKen; November 29th, 2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old November 29th, 2021, 08:18 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

On my 62 I used part number 32-4015 from LMC trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 29th, 2021, 10:14 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Cecilia is a truck though, right? He has a Panel.

Last edited by AZKen; November 29th, 2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old November 30th, 2021, 01:08 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Cecilia is a truck though, right? He has a Panel.
Ah, I didn't know there was a difference in the sending units from truck to panel. My bad!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 30th, 2021, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I ordered the sending unit from classicparts.com. When it gets here I will post the differences between it and the original sending unit. Now on to the next challenge, finding a 1.25” ID fuel filler neck hose.

BTW, love the RedGreen quote.
Old November 30th, 2021, 04:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

try TANKS, online ithey specialize in fuel tanks. they will have your hose
Old December 1st, 2021, 09:38 PM

I ordered the hose. Had to buy 3 feet, only need 8.25". So if anyone needs some filler hose, give me a shout.
Old December 6th, 2021, 08:35 PM

Let me close this thread out. I ordered the closest sending unit I could find, since one for a '62 panel truck was made of unobtainium. It came today. It is for a '63 to '66 Panel/Suburban. It appears to be dimensionally identical to my old one. The major difference is that the old one has a flange with bolt holes for mounting to the tank. The new has a flange that compresses an O-ring. I would guess that it mounts under some sort of ring. I will reuse my old flange and attach it to the lower portion of the new sender unit.
Old December 6th, 2021, 10:11 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCamp View Post
Let me close this thread out. I ordered the closest sending unit I could find, since one for a '62 panel truck was made of unobtainium. It came today. It is for a '63 to '66 Panel/Suburban. It appears to be dimensionally identical to my old one. The major difference is that the old one has a flange with bolt holes for mounting to the tank. The new has a flange that compresses an O-ring. I would guess that it mounts under some sort of ring. I will reuse my old flange and attach it to the lower portion of the new sender unit.
Can you post some pictures of the parts?