6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 14th, 2013, 12:05 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I spent the last couple of days wire wheeling the transmission down except for a small portion that still has original paint on it. I'm going to compare it to the new stuff to see how close I got. The tail leaks though and I'm not sure if that's normal. If not I might need to get seals anyway.

After the wheeling I coated it in Ospho to stop/prevent rust. Now it's a very cool black.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Tomorrow I'll pull the flywheel if I can figure out how and replace all those bolts in the bellhousing/starter/hydraulic clutch bits, hopefully get the transmission painted and refilled with fluid, and get the hump cover that I took off for easier access cleaned up and the bottom painted with Herculiner. It's both thicker and tougher than the spray on Rustoleum bedliner that I've been using for smaller parts and should be perfect for undercarriage protection. That's the plan anyway.

Then it's BBQ time again. It's supposed to be a fantastic day tomorrow. Not too hot, not too chilly, no rain but several clouds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:26 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

The parts fairy came by and dropped this off today. Hard to find part for a '62.

I put it away because I'll need it later but today was Pilot Bearing Day in Pepsi-land. I found out there's a right way and a wrong way to remove a pilot bearing.

First, the wrong way.

Go down to Lowes and buy a 1 1/8 inch dowel. Bring it home, realize the pilot bearing doesn't slide all the way up the shaft and return it to Lowes. Now buy a 5/8 inch dowel rod. See Oak rods. See Poplar rods. Look slyly at the one that is 1/5th the price made from Poplar. Use the internet to find out that you'll probably drive it through your hand when it splinters all over you. Choose the oak. Fun fact: Poplar has a hardness of 300. Oak is over 1500!

Now take that rod home and get under your truck. Pack bearing grease into the pilot bearing hole. Pack it in there good. It's goopy so be sure to smear it all over you. Later you'll wonder how some got in your left ear.

Put your 5/8 dowel in the hole...It wont fit. Sand the tip down so it's beveled. Poke the bevel in the hole and whack it with a hammer. Curse whomever created the grease that now coats everything you're wearing. Spend the next 30 mins cleaning up. Total time: 2 hours.

The right way:
Go down to Autozone. Tell the man you want a slide hammer and a pilot bearing puller to borrow. He'll charge you $49.00 out the door, which you get back when you return it. Take it home. Poke one of the pilot bearing feet in the bearing because both feet won't fit. Make sure it's staying in there by tilting it so that the foot is facing down (gravity holds it in the hole now). Slide the hammer 3 times. Go have a sandwich and return your hammer.
Total time: 15 minutes. Total working time: 30 seconds.

So this little booger popped right out in my hand.

I cleaned it up and look at the sides. It has a lot of heat discoloration. Maybe it's the problem?

That finally finished, I turned to my transmission. I opened the four bolts on the side and looked inside. Nothing obvious was wrong.

Then I took the four off the front. A small amount of rust showed on the collar, but nothing serious.

I put them both back on, making sure to line the ridge on the inside gear up with the first shifter fork thingy, and the second lined up with the floating gear inside that is about 1 inch long. Like a glove.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Weird. I posted a response and nothing . I have not been able to get to the site. Well I am glad it's back up for me and a few others. Barry
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

That front bearing does not look right.
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

X2 I agree with Barry that front bering just don't look right looks like some of the marbles are missing and the race is gouged..Vernski

Old September 15th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The parts fairy came by and dropped this off today. Hard to find part for a '62.

I put it away because I'll need it later...
Pepsi I know you have some youngins' and although they seem like real good kids I think you should send this to me for safe keeping.

HEY! ...I just thought of something! The aftermarket turn signal setup in my truck plays "Love Me Tender" whenever the turn signal is on(no really, it really does

).
I bet your kids would LOVE it!!! It kinda sounds like an ice cream truck!

There is nothing I like better than pleasing kids, so I am willing to trade you straight across for your boring old OEM unit in that beat up, stinky old box for my really cool, Elvis approved aftermarket unit...

Nice find!
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:53 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
X2 I agree with Barry that front bering just don't look right looks like some of the marbles are missing and the race is gouged..Vernski

At this point my wife thinks my marbles are all missing

I think the picture is wonky so I'll post better pics today. The marbles go all around the input shaft. What is the race?

Quote:
Pepsi I know you have some youngins' and although they seem like real good kids I think you should send this to me for safe keeping.

HEY! ...I just thought of something! The aftermarket turn signal setup in my truck plays "Love Me Tender" whenever the turn signal is on(no really, it really does

).
I bet your kids would LOVE it!!! It kinda sounds like an ice cream truck!

There is nothing I like better than pleasing kids, so I am willing to trade you straight across for your boring old OEM unit in that beat up, stinky old box for my really cool, Elvis approved aftermarket unit...

Nice find!

Thanks for the grin Tommy. It's been a frustrating weekend. I've got a plan for the switch though. Are yours' ears broken like 99% of the others out there? If so i might have a surprise for you in a few months.

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
At this point my wife thinks my marbles are all missing

I think the picture is wonky so I'll post better pics today. The marbles go all around the input shaft. What is the race?
It's a race to lose all our marbles!

Quote:

Thanks for the grin Tommy. It's been a frustrating weekend. I've got a plan for the switch though. Are yours' ears broken like 99% of the others out there? If so i might have a surprise for you in a few months.
I haven't looked inside the column yet but I suspect that is what happened. I need to find the wire that goes to "Love me tender" because I'm about to tenderize the turn signal switch with a large hammer!

Old September 15th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

I maybe seeing things that may not be there [macular degeneration] I guess it's just the way the photo turned out. If all the marbles are there it maybe fine and I have CSS. The race is what hold's the marbles in by the way, the photo was just a little scary

Vernski
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I maybe seeing things that may not be there [macular degeneration] I guess it's just the way the photo turned out. If all the marbles are there it maybe fine and I have CSS. The race is what hold's the marbles in by the way, the photo was just a little scary

Vernski
That's OK Vernski. I just realized last week that I couldn't read the directions on a bottle of baby orajel anymore. What the heck? I'm not even 40 yet...

I'll be rebuilding the transmission anyway since I needed a rear seal so here's to learning new things!