6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 7th, 2013, 09:50 PM

Truck: 1965
Sonic65 is on a distinguished road
Default Truck Dimensions

Hello everyone,
I have an odd request, but can anyone give me the length/height and width to a 1965 short bed fleetside? My GMC is in Colorado, but I am living in Texas and I need to build a workshop in my backyard. I need the bumper to bumper dimensions so that I can build a shop that will hold the truck and I can't get to my truck anytime soon. Thanks.

John
Old November 8th, 2013, 03:31 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Truck Dimensions

John. I'm sure somebody will send you the measurements you need. My two cent comment (from experience) is that whatever size shop you build, it will be 33 percent too small in about a year. So, if you have the space and the bucks, go as big as you can. The "other" BobC.
Old November 8th, 2013, 03:58 AM

Foley,
I agree with what you say, unfortunately I live in a community with an HOA. However, the bylaws state that my "sheds" square footage can not exceed 2% of my properties square footage which is 9600 square feet. That means I can have a shed/workshop with 191 square feet. I just need to make sure I have a shed with the right dimensions to store my GMC.
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:50 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Wow, I thought my HOA was tough... As long as I have a tile roof, no higher than 9 feet, I should be able to get board approval.
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDShaffer View Post
Wow, I thought my HOA was tough... As long as I have a tile roof, no higher than 9 feet, I should be able to get board approval.
My current place I'm convinced I could run around nekked and with a sickle in one hand and a bunny in the other without them saying anything.

My last one, well... We couldn't have a car that was older than 10 years old parked outside, nor a boat, or jet skis, or anything like that. Newer cars or nice trucks only. And NOTHING at the curb, only in the drive.

I wish I could help with the dimensions but all I know is that mine is about 6 foot high, around 18 ft long, and maybe 6 foot wide at the wheels. I know you're wanting a shortbox but if you make a 20 ft long place you'll have room to walk around it...sorta

And make it high enough to jack it up a couple of feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
My current place I'm convinced I could run around nekked and with a sickle in one hand and a bunny in the other without them saying anything.

My last one, well... We couldn't have a car that was older than 10 years old parked outside, nor a boat, or jet skis, or anything like that. Newer cars or nice trucks only. And NOTHING at the curb, only in the drive.

I wish I could help with the dimensions but all I know is that mine is about 6 foot high, around 18 ft long, and maybe 6 foot wide at the wheels. I know you're wanting a shortbox but if you make a 20 ft long place you'll have room to walk around it...sorta

And make it high enough to jack it up a couple of feet.
Well, unfortunately for now, the builder is still building in the community, so they run the HOA. Once the builder is done, the HOA will revert to the residents which will hopefully be a little more lenient. I have already been told that if I submit plans to build a garage, it will not be approved. So...if I build a big "shed" that will hold my truck, they cannot deny that. That is why I need the dimensions of a shortbox GMC so I know length and width and I can tailor a shed to my needs.
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:05 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic65 View Post
Hello everyone,
I have an odd request, but can anyone give me the length/height and width to a 1965 short bed fleetside? My GMC is in Colorado, but I am living in Texas and I need to build a workshop in my backyard. I need the bumper to bumper dimensions so that I can build a shop that will hold the truck and I can't get to my truck anytime soon. Thanks.

John
*If* it were me I would build one 10 x 19. That would be 190 square feet and would leave you some room around it, to work or just to go out an admire. Plus you would be able to open the doors (not all the way, but...)

-Or- save some money and buy one of those fabric/plastic canvas covers with a side wall kit. Cheaper than a shed, usually, and when you are able to build larger then it wouldn't be as much "loss".
The covers usually do not require building permits (unlike a shed or other structure might...) and unless something in the current HOA prohibits those.

Alternately go for one of the big "easy up" covers (they make them in a variety of sizes) as often those offer side kits as well, and can be used for camping or whatever when you do finally build a garage.

It is interesting to me that the builder is in charge of the HOA and would not approve of a garage. Usually they will work with the people who live in their tract, of course he would probably want to build it as well. I've seen some things done by builders that were not quite "correct" because the homeowner asked for it, in a new subdivision.

Did you buy the home new from this builder? If so I again would be surprised if he wouldn't work with you as long as he did the building of the structure.

For the exact dimensions, I don't have a shortbed so I really don't have anything to measure.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM

I am the second owner of this house and the HOA does not allow non-permanent structures. I cannot even have a Rubbermaid shed or a metal shed. It must be constructed out of wood and match the color of my house and have the same color shingles as my house as well. Walls cannot be more than 8'5" (one-story). Maybe I should start a post on HOA Issues? Lol

Last edited by Sonic65; November 9th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic65 View Post
I am the second owner of this house and the HOA does not allow non-permanent structures. I cannot even have a Rubbermaid shed or a metal shed. It must be constructed out of wood and match the color of my house and have the same color shingles as my house as well. Walls cannot be more than 8'5" (one-story). Maybe I should start a post on HOA Issues? Lol
wow! Those are some strict rules. I mean I have heard of those before but only in the more "snooty" neighborhoods.

*If* you think you might be able to build larger later, then I would suggest either a 10x19 (to meet the sq.ft. requirements) or 9x21 shed, 7' high on one long wall and 8.5 high (max height) on the other and use a simple shed roof (from high wall to low wall). Then if you can expand you can make the high side the peak, and do another 10' or 9' width and 7' outer wall... (I hope that made sense) for a total of 20x19 or 18x21 building, 7' at the outer walls and the peak above 8.5.

That way you wouldn't lose much in material costs.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old November 10th, 2013, 01:26 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

By the way Army,, I took a look at your profile and picture album of that 65. You've done a lota lota work to that truck and the story of having Grandpas truck is priceless. I could also talk all day on the Bull **** of HOA's but I guess we all make our choices. Germany, California, Colorado, Texas,,you've certainly had some experience at different quarters. I don't have a wideside or I'd offer those measurements you need, so I will say just two things more. I hope others will read your story and view the pictures. Also Happy Veterans Day and I wish to thank you for your service to our Country.