6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old January 21st, 2017, 11:12 PM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Spun a rod bearing

Not 100 percent certain, but I think I spun a rod bearing or there is a wrist pin knock in my 305. Where is a good place to get the parts I need? It looks like the local parts store can get me a pan gasket and the bearings, but I would like to change out the oil pump and see if I need lifters replaced. Looking for a source for ALL my engine parts. If it is a wrist pin, I would possibly need a piston, rings, and a pin. Local parts store CLAIMS to be able to get the gasket and bearings within 3 days, but I have found that claim to be false more than once on the oddball stuff I deal with.
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:27 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spun a rod bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
Not 100 percent certain, but I think I spun a rod bearing or there is a wrist pin knock in my 305. Where is a good place to get the parts I need? It looks like the local parts store can get me a pan gasket and the bearings, but I would like to change out the oil pump and see if I need lifters replaced. Looking for a source for ALL my engine parts. If it is a wrist pin, I would possibly need a piston, rings, and a pin. Local parts store CLAIMS to be able to get the gasket and bearings within 3 days, but I have found that claim to be false more than once on the oddball stuff I deal with.
You may want to try ebay, I've seen piston pins and bearings on there. If you really need lifters those are interchangeable with solid lifters from the Chevrolet 235 inline six
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:33 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

You can get the gaskets, oil pump, and rod bearings from O'reillys. Main bearings have to be purchased through Ebay.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:13 AM

Thanks, guys. Have to check it out tomorrow and see what I need.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:05 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Suburban 4x4
kchampagne is on a distinguished road

Try calling these guys: https://egge.com/. I just rebuilt the entire low end and they had everything except mains.

For main bearings, intake valves, and cam shaft you will have to find NOS on eBay. I found most of the other head rebuild parts on Rockauto. To my knowledge, NOS replacement crankshaft and pistons are non-existent. I think there are places that can build you a set of pistons, but extremely expensive. I would try to resurface the journals on your crankshaft and reuse your pistons and install new rings.

The gasket set is FEL-PRO HS7961SB1 (minus rear main seal, oil pan gasket and timing cover gasket). I got mine on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-Hs796...-PRO+HS7961SB1. Rear main seal is FEL-PRO BS 40048. Oil pan gasket is FEL-PRO OS 34404 C. Timing cover gasket is: FEL-PRO TCS 12937.

I recommend finding a spare 305 engine to keep around in case you need parts. I have 2 right now!
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the information. It will come in handy.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:06 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Greetings hubarlow!

If you spun a rod bearing, I'm afraid you are in for a little more than a pan gasket and bearings. More than likely, the connecting rod will have to be re-furbished, or replaced, depending upon how much damage was done by the spun bearing, and, you will have to have the crankshaft re-ground, since a spun bearing damages both. I hate to be the bearer of news like this, but I have seen badly scored connecting rods resulting from spun bearings, and some pretty serious crankshaft damage as well. I hope that it IS NOT as serious as you think it may be.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:27 AM

George: This is not my first rodeo. I know the sound a spun rod bearing makes and stopped driving the truck before major damage was done (I hope). In any case, I was thinking about doing a full tear down and rebuild just because you never know what little surprises are in store with a 50 + year old engine. This just gives me an excuse. You never know, it COULD be something else (like a loose pressure plate or something). My buddy replaced the transmission about a year ago, and I have NO IDEA if he torqued the bolts down on the pressure plate or not. He is a Golf Cart mechanic, and some auto repairs are just a bit out of his league (He calls me frequently for advice).
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:53 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
George: This is not my first rodeo. I know the sound a spun rod bearing makes and stopped driving the truck before major damage was done (I hope). In any case, I was thinking about doing a full tear down and rebuild just because you never know what little surprises are in store with a 50 + year old engine. This just gives me an excuse. You never know, it COULD be something else (like a loose pressure plate or something). My buddy replaced the transmission about a year ago, and I have NO IDEA if he torqued the bolts down on the pressure plate or not. He is a Golf Cart mechanic, and some auto repairs are just a bit out of his league (He calls me frequently for advice).

Greetings again hubarlow!

I didn't figure it was your first rodeo, and if I insulted your intelligence, I apologize. It's just that sometimes it doesn't take very much to do more damage than one anticipates.
Old January 24th, 2017, 04:10 AM

George: No insult taken and none intended in my response. Thanks for the advice and words of warning. Just hoping for the best, but I truly DO have "the luck of the Irish." Read Irish history to understand what I am talking about. Irish luck is just surviving all the crap that is supposed to KILL you.
;-)