6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old August 19th, 2023, 02:52 AM

Truck: 1966
Omaran is on a distinguished road
Default Leaf spring conversion

Has anyone had any luck in converting the leaf springs to arms. Like a qa1 kit etc. Comparing my 66 half ton it looks very similar (besides axle hangers). I just can't find anything where someone has ever even tried. I'm sure that a little bit of fabrication is going to be required I just can't see what I'm missing that nobody has documented this swap or talked about it. Thanks
Old August 19th, 2023, 05:37 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Leaf spring conversion

I may know some of your meanings but better to clarify before answering.
1. Assuming 2WD and talking rear and want a softer ride.
2. Assuming "arms" is swap to coil springs/trailing arms.
3. Don't know what a qa1 kit is.
4. The work and risk and fab will probably not be worth it. If you are looking for a better ride and don't care about original, look at air bags.
5. Maybe 60-62 GMC donor parts will work.

This is from 6066Club archives, 2004.... albeit 60-63 and may have no relevance,

"Well I did some research an found out that the chevy 60 to 72 springs would fit and I was able to get cargo coils which are a progressive weight spring. i ordered them at 1 oclock today and picked them up at 4 0clock and had them installed at 5:30 and only broke the 2 lower bolts. These cargo coils are nice because they didn't change my ride height,they still ride like a car when not loaded and when I put a load on them like my car trailer they can now handle it nicely. Also I took it for a ride around the block and these springs cut way down on the body roll that I was getting from the stock springs. All this for around $100.00 and an hours worth of work. It was well worth it. Anyone that is interested in these springs for your 60 to 63 GMC they are Moog Cargo coils part # mog cc603."
Believed to be member Al Smith

Last edited by AZKen; August 19th, 2023 at 05:55 AM.
Old August 19th, 2023, 03:47 PM

Truck: 1966
Omaran is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leaf spring conversion

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am referring to a 2wd

This is the kit I was referencing, but there are quite a few companies that make similar. https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspe...onversion-kits

My father has a 63 Chevy C10 and looking at them I don't see any differences in the frame (his is coil springs, mine is leaf springs) besides the actual leaf spring mounts.

I do not want to restore my 66 I just want a fun truck to drive that handles well and is comfortable. Thought about air bags also and might go that way instead of coilovers but also like the idea of maybe doing some auto cross and other spirited driving. Plus the kits are pretty much the same for what I would be purchasing, besides the air tank compressor and hoses. The mounting locations are similar between the bags and coilovers.