6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old March 18th, 2022, 12:15 PM

Truck: 1960 GMC 1000 Stepside
casyjones is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring diagram.

Hi there,
my generator light started flickering occasionally so I changed the brushes as a matter of course. Now the generator light stays on all the time.!
The generator is working fine,putting out about 14 volts but, only registers .2 of a volt increase at the battery. (battery is new)
It has a ground cable from the - terminal to the generator adjustment slide on the block end, I have also put a ground cable from the block to the chassis, no change.
The regulator has been replaced at some time and looks nice and clean inside but, none of the points appear to be doing anything.
My next step is to go through the loom to try and locate any broken wires or bad grounds.Unless anybody can point me in another direction .
Does anyone have a link to a printable wiring diagram for a 1960 1000? ( Color would be a bonus!)
Thanks,
Andy.

Last edited by casyjones; March 18th, 2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old March 18th, 2022, 06:18 PM

Truck: gmc
gmcjuniorvan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wiring diagram.

not color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 100 p1.jpg (1.53 MB, Multiple views, 38 clicks)
Old March 18th, 2022, 07:28 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Get a Delco 10si alternator. You will chase generator and voltage regulator trouble until until the cows come home. Converting is cheap, easy, less wiring and trouble free. Throw the generator and the VR in the trash.
Old March 19th, 2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Get a Delco 10si alternator. You will chase generator and voltage regulator trouble until until the cows come home. Converting is cheap, easy, less wiring and trouble free. Throw the generator and the VR in the trash.
Sounds like a plan.
Do we have a link to anything that walks you through instalation?
Old March 19th, 2022, 07:00 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

The "link" is right here on 6066GMCCLUB. If you can work out the mechanical installation. We can get you wired. Don't throw away any the of generator mounting brackets/hardware. Can be used for fabbing an alternator bracket. Lots of info here and internet showing ideas for mounting alternator to GMC V6. We are assuming you have a 305 V6.
Alternator
https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.p...rnator+bracket

BE ADVISED
I posted my usual "rant" about switching to alternator. I am not saying that you can't fix whatever is wrong with the present system. I really don't know what is wrong. I am not up on that generator/VR stuff. It may be minor, don't know. There are many tests you can perform per the internet. There may be members here who can help with that.

I can, however, get you converted if you wish. If you decide on an alternator, report when in hand. Do not start any wiring or disconnect any wiring or throw anything in the trash, until we begin the conversion. You can sort out how you will mount the alternator and move the generator off to the side. Study the diagram provided here and confirm your truck's charging wiring is wired like the diagram.

Last edited by AZKen; March 20th, 2022 at 12:02 AM.
Old March 19th, 2022, 11:09 PM

Truck: gmc
gmcjuniorvan is on a distinguished road

The wire diagram I posted is from the 1960 maintenance manual reprint 5-61. This is the 2ND series of the N series. If your 1960 wiring diagram is different then you probably have the first series. If you could post it, I would like to have a copy.
Thanks
P.S. The second series 1000 started with P-N26001 and C-N10001.
Old March 19th, 2022, 11:57 PM

It seemed like when I looked at your diagram it was different than the one I see now. Maybe I looked at your 64 on a different post. You didn't switch it did you? Anyway it is the same as what I have for 1960. 1964 is different. I will edit my post.
Old March 20th, 2022, 10:43 AM

HI Ken,
mine is actually a 1960.
Thanks for your help with this, I'm going to try and trace the fault with the generator circuit before trying the alternator route first.
If nothing else, it might help another member if I can locate the problem and then post it.
Andy. (UK)