6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old February 17th, 2019, 04:38 AM

Truck: 62 c10
Angrywood is on a distinguished road
Default Another thread on bed wood

I went back in this forum a few years reading up on your posts about replacing the bed wood on your trucks. I’m currently researching and getting ready to start this project. I saw the length is 97”. What about the width and thickness? Are their any informative videos on how to DIY. I got a pretty good idea on sealing it just need more info on installing. I got a 62 c10 long bed fleetside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 65EE4366-3367-433E-B471-BCFAFD731546.jpeg (1.29 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another thread on bed wood

Here's everything I have in my notes on bed wood for the GMC. I think Chevy was the same back there, but I can't guarantee.

These beds had oak or yellow pine beds made from boards that were cut with dadoes and a shallow rabbit. They were 8 foot and 1 inch long and 3/4 inch thick (1" lumber).

Some pictures attached should show you how they fit and get cut.

There's a writeup about dimensions here:
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthr...1831#post51831

A (2005) study of bed wood coatings found this to be the best for long lasting results out of 10 options:
Three coats of POR-15 Rust Preventative Paint as a seal coat and three coats of Behr gloss black enamel. This finish is on an oak sample and it has no failure at this time. The finish has possibly dulled slightly, but is still very glossy and sealed well. If you plan to paint your bedwood, this finish system should be considered as it is very durable and easy to apply.

As far as I know there's no good video or writeups. If you do it, you could take a ton of pics and post it up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1wearstrp.jpg (23.9 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 3BedwoodfleetLWB.jpg (54.6 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 4BedwoodfleetSWB.jpg (17.5 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 2board.jpg (63.5 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; February 17th, 2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

Here is another site that has information on the measurements of the bed wood, can't have too much info.

https://gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm

I like the process of giving the wood 3 coats of por15 to seal it, was this done to all sides prior to installation or after they were laid down. If done prior, did it effect installation fitment any?

thanks,

gg
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
Here is another site that has information on the measurements of the bed wood, can't have too much info.

https://gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm

I like the process of giving the wood 3 coats of por15 to seal it, was this done to all sides prior to installation or after they were laid down. If done prior, did it effect installation fitment any?

thanks,

gg
Hey, that looks like where I got my pictures! Thanks for the link. I didn't write it down.

The Por 15 keeps the shrinking to a minimum, I guess. I've talked to guys that did it and they never mentioned a problem with cracking or fitment. Installation is smooth since you're dealing with a painted and ready hunk of wood. It's the way i plan to do it when I get to that point, so you know it'll be a full writeup, haha.

edit Whoops, I forgot I had the brother-in-law make me some white oak quarter sawn bed planks. i'll probably varnish them with something instead so they show up pretty. I might por-15 the sides and bottom to protect against road gunk though. Hmm. I wonder if that will mess up the shrinking and expanding? Having them half coated...

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; February 18th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 06:41 PM

Truck: 62 c10
Angrywood is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the info.