6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old May 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Here's a cleaner round of pics. I don't see any other snap rings running around in there but I didn't see the one on the outside either so...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I tried prying on it more at two places (shown in last two pics) but still not even a wiggle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clean guts2.JPG (1.71 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg clean guts.JPG (1.91 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg pry1.jpg (1.66 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg pry2.jpg (1.68 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; May 7th, 2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

The last pic with the hammer and pry bar are on the right track. Hold tight a little and I will post a pick that may help
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Banned

OK . The pic I described in my last post. thats the part that comes out. That outet groove Is where the screws on the big knob ride in. Put a 2.5 inch clamp in that groove and tighten it up then pry between the clamp and the hub just outside of where the large snap ring was. If you get it a little tap it in. Once you do thst a few it should just slide out. Disregard the flange in the pic this hub bolts on yours is splined. I am only using thsr hub because its a selectro ant the part protruding from your wheel hub is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140507_133522.jpg (405.6 KB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140507_133731.jpg (438.2 KB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140507_133639.jpg (468.5 KB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Banned

Here is what it looks like in an internal spline hub. You can see the spindle nut and the splines. Just for fun here is a pic of a bolt on hub. So you know what I mean when I say bolt on hub.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140507_142319.jpg (464.7 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140507_142530.jpg (513.0 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Guess what guys? IT'S OUT!

That last pic with the clamp on the end showed me what I should shoot for, kinda. I thought the lip was going to pull away like the other gear thing that came out. That's not exactly what happened lol.

{{{{Begin dream sequence Dooodlie doo! Doodlie doo! Doodlie doo!}}}}}

It all started when the baby blonde went to sleep today. I ran and got my grubbies on (junky clothes) then went and did a couple of honey-dos to make sure the General was content. Can't have her coming down on me when I'm elbow deep in Cecilia, right? Then I sauntered over, looked Cecilia in the eye, and sang, "Cecilia! You're breaking my heart! Let go of that dang hub right-now baaaabeyyyyyy!"

Then I put my crowbar and hammer to work again. And I turned it, and did it some more. All the while I was terrified I'd break the lip off the gear-thing I was banging on. Then it happened. After about 15 solid "Please don't break, sweetie" whacks......

It moved!

It came all the way out to the edge, but then it wouldn't budge. I whacked more, I whacked harder. I got jiggy with it and shouted funny words laced with venom. Every time it would come to the end of the outer shell (flange?) it would pop right back to flush. Like it had a rubber band on one side of it.

I worked on it about 20 minutes more then took a break and consulted my book. Nothing in there that said this should be more difficult than it was (it was kinda worthless at this point anyway). I did more eye inspection, nothing I could see. So I banged it back inside in frustration. It moved again.

So I crowbar-hammered it back out again, rotating it and whacking, rotating and whacking. And this little rubber hair appeared over the edge of where it was sliding. Some kind of seal? If so, it was destroyed now. It's not the O ring on the outside beside where I was prying. It came from the rusty spot where the last metal snap ring came off.

So I whacked it some more and it gave a big PPPpbbbtttt! noise and poped right out!

I pulled the entire thing out and rewarded myself with a refreshment and toasted you guys that helped me get this far

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Now for that spanner wrench thingy. Totally unnecessary! Thanks to Ed Snyder if I remember right I got the idea to use a punch of sorts. Here's what it looked like after pulling out that last huge gear.

See those red dots? They're around little square looking cutouts in the funny looking nut on the axle. I put my needle nosed pliers in that top cutout and whacked it lightly with a hammer. It spun free.

Thanks Ed!

I pulled it out and put it aside with the other parts, in order so i don't lose what goes where.

Now I can reach in and grab the center pole, the axle? And it wiggles pretty good up and down and in and out. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do? I dont know.

Next there's a little washer thing with holes in it. I stuck a booger picker looking hook in there and just dragged it out. It isn't locked on or anything.

Old May 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Behind that is ANOTHER nut. I just stuck my booger picker through the holes on it and spun it around about 1500 times.

Inside here it smelled like burned oil and dead cats. I saw some hard, chunky stuff on the bottom of the cylinder. It disintegrated when I tried to mash it.

Then I grabbed the whole kit and caboodle and Fwoop! It came right off!

Old May 9th, 2014, 09:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Deep inside the flange (thats what I'm calling it, it might not be right) is a bearing. Here's my booger picker pulling it out.

It was made by Timkin and even had a part number. LM5....something something something. I'll have to look at it again after it's cleaned.

I could see another bearing inside the flange but it wouldn't fit out the front. So I flipped it over to the back. From my transmission rebuild I knew what I had here. A gasket!

And I know how to deal with gaskets...Squeeeze.....

POP!

Then I noticed the seal didn't have any rubber in it. It was just a metal seal. Is it supposed to be like that? Hopefully I didn't just ruin it :ahh:

I pulled out the bearing, another Timkin with another part number

Then I was out of time so I threaded everything, in order, onto a piece of coathanger and stuck it in a nice jaccuzzi (bucket) of Carb Cleaner to get some cleaning done. Might be time for a new batch though, because it's black as sin now and doesn't smell much like carb cleaner anymore

Thank you Barry, Johathon, Foley, Ed Snyder, and everyone else I missed for all the help, offers, and tips. You guys all rock!

Old May 10th, 2014, 01:38 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Glad to see your victory over this stubborn hub! That chunk of rubber you pulled out earlier may have been the seal that was gone out of that seal you pulled in the "Pop" pic. I'm sure a rubber lip should have been in there. Numbers might be stamped in that metal ring too.

Thanks for the updates.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Banned

Good job. First its not a gasket its a seal. Next you need to remove the spindle from the knuckle. That's held on by the 6 bolts. Then we can walk you through the next step. Before you do the rest get a proper parts washer. It only needs to be an old canning kettle or metal wash pail and a parts cleaner brush and a gallon of diesel.