6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old October 4th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power locks and nospins

Two questions first, is your truck a2500 series? Second does your truck have 8 bolt wheels and a round differential cover? If you answer yes to these then you can put a Detroit locker in. There are two ways to do this. First way is to find an original locker for your rear. Second way is to buy a new 14 bolt locker and use newer axles. I have done this both ways. It's really easy. Finally your truck should have an eaton rear if it's what I think it is. Pm me and I can walk you through it. Barry
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

I was looking through my stuff today and found an original no spin informational packet that came with our trucks that had the no spin option. Thought I would share it with you. Sorry the rest will come later. Gotta Go. Barry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0013.jpg (988.4 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg scan0014.jpg (1.84 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg scan0015.jpg (1.08 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg scan0016.jpg (1.16 MB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg scan0017.jpg (1.51 MB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg scan0018.jpg (1.66 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg scan0019.jpg (476.4 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)

Last edited by BarryGMC; November 26th, 2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old January 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I got an email this weekend to update you guys on Barry's boy's trip so here it is. Not my words. Don't shoot the messenger!

Quote:
. First . Well everyone there has been a discussion about my leaving. Its not really about one person but a group of people that have not been easy to deal with. I am not really sure why this was but I had to end it. Yes I insulted a few people. I won't apologize for that and in context of some of my behind the scenes conversations it was really tame. I offered all of these guys a phone# but no one called. So after months of being irritated I asked Jeannie to unsubscribe me.

Update on the boy: So after a spring and summer of fishing camping and soccer. He has had a lot of fun. Caught a lot of fish. Found a cute girl. He decided he needs a 4x4 truck. He got scared to death a week ago in a snowstorm driving a short wheel base rig with lockers front and rear. I did not really teach him to handle the quirks of a rig set up that way. So now we are building a 60 GMC 4x4. Its a bits he picked out the parts from the stash. However it will be powered by Chevrolet. 409 Chevrolet. Only a rear locker. He insisted on that. So that's it. Enjoy those V6 jimmies and drive em. Barry

I guess he still reads the boards from time to time and he saw Culver's question about the kids. I won't post any more of Barry's emails because I understand the problems it can cause, but I thought everyone might want to hear about his son's trip. The boy didn't do anything so I hope that's alright. It was a good story. Caught fish and a girl, how bout that? Lucky dog!

If this isn't OK Jeannie just delete it. No harm I'm not taking any sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:23 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

Since this thread started with a power lock differential subject, I will ask a question about them. I removed the differential cover to see how much gunk had accumulated back there, I was surprised to see really clean 90 weight and no gunk to speak of. I saw a tag on one of the cover bolts, I was hoping it was the gear ratio, but no, it said to use power lock lubricate in this unit. Seems this truck has that rear end. Now in my maintenance manual it says to add some power lock lubricant. Well my Valvoline 90 wt. says it is for limited slip applications, is this good enough or should I go buy some of the additive stuff they sell??
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
Since this thread started with a power lock differential subject, I will ask a question about them. I removed the differential cover to see how much gunk had accumulated back there, I was surprised to see really clean 90 weight and no gunk to speak of. I saw a tag on one of the cover bolts, I was hoping it was the gear ratio, but no, it said to use power lock lubricate in this unit. Seems this truck has that rear end. Now in my maintenance manual it says to add some power lock lubricant. Well my Valvoline 90 wt. says it is for limited slip applications, is this good enough or should I go buy some of the additive stuff they sell??
I've always heard about just putting 90wt in and rarely do I hear about any problems. I'm putting Redline 57904 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil in Cecilia this summer when I do her pumpkins because it came recommended for older trucks by Jay Leno and his lead mechanic. Something about less friction and easier on the seals.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:22 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I just got told that a power lock needs a friction modifier in the oil so you'll need to add one if you go with regular 90wt. If it says "ok for power locks" or "ok for limited slips" then it already has it inside so no sweat!

Old January 14th, 2015, 05:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

I found a bit more information too. On a thread on another forum, related to 4 wheel drives with a Spicer 44 posi lock pumpkin. They recommended going with the 90 wt with the additive for a limited slip plus adding a product called Equa-Torque, which is a friction modifier, made by Sta-Lube. Seems that works really good.