View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Next I pulled and pushed on the hub thinking it should move at least a little. My book says "remove the drive gear next" but nothing was budging. So I was like, FINE, let's tap you with a HAMMER a little and see what pops loose!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

And this happened:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Not exactly what I wanted, but hey it's progress!

If you didn't know already, this piece is not connected to the hub. It just slides on over it and the bolts that hold the wheel!

So that came off and I'm looking at the brakes. The little rubber bits that hold the juice in looked really good. I'm guessing they've been replaced recently.

At this point I figured the socket thingy, which is called both a "Spindle Socket" and a "Slide Wrench", is what I needed. I went to O'Reilleys and the guy there really put some time into trying to find me the right one, like 20 mins - really. But he sent me home with that 2 3/8" one I mentioned before. It didn't fit.

I got it returned and decided I'd look for one online tonight. If anyone knows exactly the right size I'd be happy to borrow that info from ya!

Dude....I love it when you chronicle your mechanical woes for all to behold.
First problem....your hands are uncharacteristically clean....for the project yer working on...
The pic that I copied shows the snap-ring to be removed pretty clearly. Just inside of the end of your hub is a "inside" style snap-ring. Find the break in that surface and use a O-ring pick (nose-picker) to pry that thing loose.....pop it out of there..make sure the snap-ring is off of the end of the axle (outside snap-ring)...and the whole hub assembly will be free to slide out. It may hang up a little while sliding by where the snap ring used to be but it will come out with some patience....and maybe some PB blaster to soften things up a bit.

Oops on the second picture .....Interesting.... but not instrumental for successful hub removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmaphub.jpg (28.1 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (37.1 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)